Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

“I was cured, all right!”
Angel Has Fallen

Not bad. Nolte was the best part.

This franchise does action with CGI; fast cuts and/or shaky cam?
Never saw anything about it, and I'm too lazy to search about it.

Boldly going.
Without wishing to sound like the oldest man in the room, but when did this become a criticism? I ask because it doesn't sound like you enjoyed it so much that you wish it was longer.
Because they might have been able to tell more of a story if they had more time. The whole thing just seemed rushed.

I watched The Irishman yesterday. I'll give it a 7.9/10.

I'm not sure right now that it will go down in Scorsese's true classics, although there's always time to change my mind with more viewings of it. Scorsese's choice of music was superb as always.

Only Lovers Left Alive (Jim Jarmusch, 2013)

The Dead Don't Die (Jim Jarmusch, 2019)

Shirkers (Sandi Tan, 2018)

Faces Places (JR, Agnes Varda, 2017)

The JR bloke just seemed like an obnoxious person. I didn't think it was particularly well edited and can see why JLG stayed well clear. Agnes Varda's warmth and enthusiasm make the film worth watching.

The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

A very good, solid film. Technically impressive with three strong performances, Joe Pesci the standout.

Through being so overtly self-reflective, the film left me wanting more. Instead of feeling a myriad of emotions it felt too cold and clear, relationships seemed very clearly defined, the characters do not change or develop significantly enough to justify time spent with them. For a film so long the story and message both seemed extremely simple. Not to say that is a problem, or that it wasn't very enjoyable.

Scorsese largely forgoes mise-en-scene in favour of usual montage and music to tie together different time periods. Whilst ageing effects and sheer amount of scenes help signify the scope of the story, they don’t feel as rich narratively as the do purely informative. Lots of exposition and story that felt more like a documentary/biopic of the guy.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Dead Ringer (Paul Henreid,1964)
6/10
Risking Light (Dawn Mikkelson, 2018)
6.5/10
Bunny O'Hare (Gerd Oswald, 1971)
5.5/10
The Thing from Another World (Christian Nyby, 1951)
6.5/10

Opening Title
Nico, 1988 (Susanna Nicchiarelli, 2017)
- 5.5/10
Brittany Runs a Marathon (Paul Downs Colaizzo, 2019)
- 6.5/10
Bixa Travesty (Claudia Priscilla & Kiko Goifman, 2018)
6/10
Meeting Gorbachev (Werner Herzog & Andre Singer, 2018)
6.5/10

Werner Herzog idolizes and interviews Gorbachev about his role in Soviet history.
This is Not Berlin (Hari Sama, 2019)
6/10
The Quiet One (Oliver Murray, 2019)
6.5/10
Tel Aviv on Fire (Sameh Zoabi, 2018)
6/10
Skin (Guy Nattiv, 2018)
6.5 /10

Danielle Macdonald begs/demands her white supremacist husband (Jamie Bell) to break completely with the hate group to protect her chilfren.
The Nanny (Seth Holt, 1965)
6/10
Shelby American (Nate Adams & Adam Carolla, 2019)
6.5/10
Vita & Virginia (Chanya Button, 2018)
6/10
dream/killer (Andrew Jenks, 2015)
6.5/10

In-depth examination of the Ryan Ferguson injustice case in Missouri.
Lili (Charles Walters, 1953)
+ 6.5/10
Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)
6/10 Art House Rating

The Prodigal Daughter (Jacques Doillon, 1981)
5/10
The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)
7/10

Teamster/hitman Robert De Niro seems to be at the center of many major occurrences in the 1950s-1970s but at what cost?

Ulzana's Raid (1972)

-

On the current westerns list, but I'd be surprised if it makes the new one. There's a shocking scene of violence early in the movie which is the only thing I'll remember it for. The ending and the performances are decent with Burt Lancaster playing the lead. I didn't like the score and it's not much to look at. Story and dialogue are nothing special. Average at best.

Yesterday - 2019

This was kind of a cool premise. Everyone in the world didn't know who the Beatles were except one person after an event. So he went on to record them and become a big star well because the Beatles were awesome. It was a neat movie but I think it fell short of fully being realized. For some reason they crammed a weird love story into the movie as the main plot instead of the cool premise the Beatles were forgotten. The love story just didn't work for me it all, felt forced and unearned. I thought for a second they were going show corporate music industry to ruin the Beatles songs, but quickly abandoned it. At moments the movie was quite fun, and it's worth a gander I suppose but feels like a squandered chance at a really cool movie. The movie should have focused on other idea instead of the lame love story to me.

2 out of 5

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Bolt (2008)

A good animated movie, but not really a standout. If it didn't have a puppy in it, I'd argue it would receive less praise haha

Welcome to the human race...
Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)
Curious (if not entirely surprising) distinction.

Drive -

the aesthetic power that this holds has been considerably overstated

Re-watch of a totally fun movie with an amazing cast.

Tombstone (1993)

I didn't expect much but it turned out that I was pretty entertained. It sure didn't hurt having a whole bunch of actors I like. Val Kilmer was the stand out. It won't make my list but I'm glad I watched it.

Atomic Blonde (2017)

I wish I hadn't learned that this wasn't a comedy. A mix of Guy Ritchie, John Wick, and James Bond that misses the charms of every one of these. Apparently having a female lead is enough and no characters are needed. Action looked quite bad (please, either go over-the-top or stick to realism but don't make pseudo-realistic fights where a slender woman is overpowering much bigger men).

--

Carny (1980)

I admit I watched this because of young Jodie Foster (my god, she's cute). Kind of a mix between Paper Moon and Freaks. Maybe a bit thin on characters at times but still quite enjoyable drama with a hint of comedy every now and then. I guess I was rooting for a darker or more twisted ending. Did I mention Jodie Foster already?