Daniel M's Top 100 - 2014

→ in
Tools    

Scream , FMJ and Aguirre are awesome picks !

Aguirre and Full Metal Jacket are very good. I like other movies from both directors more but there is time for those to show up

I liked Scream when I saw it but not seen it recently enough to really comment on it.

Aguirre was a nice surprise for me, and it has turned out that I've really liked a few movies from Herzog.

Full Metal Jacket has always been one of my favorites.

I don't care for El Topo, I like Scream, and haven't seen the other.

Daniel, what have you become

(I kid)
So much truth is said in jest.

Well, we finally got some good films. Double Indemnity, Sunset Booulevard and Scream are all top notch. I must see Aguirre at some point. I have it and it's something I think I could like.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God was very high on my 70's list. Awesome film, awesome director. I highly recommend Fitzcarraldo if you haven't seen it.

I'm one of those people that thinks the first half of Full Metal Jacket is much better than the second half, but I definitely owe it a re-watch. As of right now, though, it's one of my least favorite from Kubrick.

El Topo is one of a kind, but I think The Holy Mountain is the much better film. It's cool to see El Topo on your list, though. I assume it has already missed its chance of showing up on the 70's Countdown, but you never know.

Never been the biggest fan of Scream, but it's a good movie. Tale of Tales looks interesting, but I haven't seen it.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Oh man I think this list is going to be ugly! Your lists in the past have been quite fun but your taste has really nose dived since then!

That said you've managed to come up with a few decent ones so far - Con Air, River Kwai, Sunset Blvd, Double Indemnity.

Oh and I agree that your presentation is great.

Really great stuff here. Rosemary's Baby, FMJ, Sunset Boulevard, Scream... I don't love Aguirre as much as most people but it's still quite good.

I'm one of those people that thinks the first half of Full Metal Jacket is much better than the second half, but I definitely owe it a re-watch. As of right now, though, it's one of my least favorite from Kubrick.
I was like that. I loved the first half of the film when I first saw it, but was really bored by the second. Then I saw it again and it was the other way around, only the first half didn't bore it, but I hated it. Third time I saw it, I just hated the first half and was bored by the second. One day I'll watch it again, if only to see how it works out this time. Who knows, maybe I'll love the whole thing. It's about the only thing left for me.

So I heard you all liked black and white films?
A masterpiece of silent cinema, there is just so much to admire about this piece of art. Everything is perfect, Murnau's direction and photography is breathtaking and really elevates the love story that although simple on paper still manages to be told in a complex and emotional manner. Each frame is beautiful and meaningful, and at a brisk ninety minutes, Murnau manages to build up great suspense for a powerful ending.
Known as one of the films that put Japanese cinema on the map for English-speaking viewers, Rashomon is another film that takes quite a simple idea but uses a combination of camerawork and editing to make something rich in detail and fascinating human study as we see a tale of murder shown from varying perspectives.
I love me some noir and Humphrey Bogart, and this film for me is seminal for its kind, it has all the usual noir twists and turns, a highly cool performance by Bogart ann one of the greatest femme fatales in Mary Astor. Highly entertaining and massively recommended for fans of such films.
One of the greatest and most important surreal films ever created, born out of two dreams of Buñuel and Dali, it is a crazy combination of all sorts of striking abstract images. A fascinating watch that everyone interested in cinema should watch.
The first David Lynch film to appear on my list, and everyone knows that it won't be his last. One of his purest films and a piece of work that feels highly personal with many comparisons to be made with fear of fatherhood and the difficulties of life in general. Shot in black and white, the imagery is at times minimalist and helps build up great atmosphere, with many genuinely creepy scenes.

Sunrise is by far my favourite of that set, and I like Rashomon, Un Chien Andalou and Eraserhead as well. As you might know I'm not the biggest fan of film noir, but I'll get round to Falcon at some point.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Sunrise was on both of my previous top 100s. Im not sure if it will make it on my next one, but its great. Eraserhead is my second favorite Lynch I've seen.

Maltese Falcon isn't bad, just not a personal favorite of mine.

Love The Maltese Falcon! As you know, it's also on my list.

Eraserhead is also a great film. It may or may not be on my '70s list.

Un Chien Andalou is, as you say, "one of the greatest and most important surreal films ever created."

Haven't seen Rashomon or Sunrise yet, but both have been watchlisted for a while now.

Werner Herzog is a fascinating director whose work I really ought to explore more. Filmed on location, facing the extremes of the Amazon river, and making sacrifices in order to make a truly great, mesmirising film. Klaus Kinski is unforgettable in the lead role as we watch his descent into madness.
A few weeks ago and this film would not have made my list. When I first watched it I had mixed feelings, but now I believe that it is one of Kubrick's best. The film truly captures the madness, horror and hypocrisy of war, looking at the different challenges those involved faced. As always with Kubrick, the film is superbly photographed and has a great sense of dark humour.
As you will find with many films still to come on this, I massively admire ambitious films that aim to take a look into a human life, collections of moments, memorys and dreams that come together perfectly like a collage in a way that is emotionally powerful. can perhaps be described as the movie to end all movies, about the life of a director, and The Mirror is often regarded as the greatest non-linear art house film. When it comes to animation, this delightful short attempts something similar and succeeds, a masterpiece of animation.
Often described as an 'acid western', I can not really add much more than that. Jodorowsky's film is unforgettable, using striking imagery and peculiar editing to create a fascinating piece of art that feels highly personal yet makes for a very fun experience.
A fantatsic blend of horror, comedy and mystery makes Scream one of my personal favourite horror films. Whilst its sometimes less than serious tone some people seem reluctant to group this with other more 'respected' horror classics, but it is just as good. The opening scene is a mini-masterpiece itself, and from there on in it continues to be great fun. Filled with film references, homages, and self aware comedy, it is a film that absolutely succeeds in what it attempts and should be a treat for all horror film fans.
Nice to see some love for Scream...a very smart horror film featuring a clever screenplay that lets us in on the joke.

Let the night air cool you off
This list is a good list. It could end now, and still be one of my favorite lists. Un Chien Andalou and Tale of Tales are both excellent shorts

Have you watched any other Soviet animation?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Aguirre
Watched this almost a year ago and I've stayed away from Herzog since

The footage from the shooting is hilarious. Them Herzog and Kinski having an argument.

GLO-RI-OUS LIST!

Theoretically, Scream feels out of place compared to all these films. Practically, I've never seen it, so I can't say.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.