Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The last movie I saw was fast and furious 6, and I keep making fun of the special effects and the maneuvers they perform that are too liars and impossible in real life.

Di je Karlo?
Fantastic Mr. Fox - 94/100

I thought I'd watch a scene or two on my phone to kill some time before going to bed, but no, I ended up sitting through the whole thing. It's just so damn good.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The American President (1995)

I watched The American President a while back, and I had low expectations, but I ended up loving the movie. (I don't remember why I had low expectations, but maybe it helped my enjoyment of the movie.)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Lodge (Severin Fiala & Veronika Franz, 2019)
5.5/10
The Golden Glove (Fatih Akin, 2019)
5/10
We Go On (Andy Mitton & Jesse Holland, 2016)
6/10
Bacurau (Juliano Dornelles & Kleber Mendonça Filho, 2019)
- 6.5/10

Weird fantasy adventure set in Brazil. Yes, really weIrd - but perfectly normal if you take acid or whatever that was they were taking.
The Assistant (Kitty Green, 2019)
5.5/10
The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case (James Parrott, 1930)
6.5/10
The House (Andrew Jay Cohen, 2017)
+ 5/10
Dodgeball (Rawson Marshall Thurber 2004)
6.5/10

Great commercial quote from an expert on those two subjects.
Hooking Up (Nico Raineau, 2020)
+.5/10
Sylvio (Kentucker Audley & Albert Birney, 2017)
6/10
The Set Up (Niyi Akinmolayan, 2019)
5/10
Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles (Salvador Simó, 2018)
.6.5/10

Tale about Buñuel's filming of Las Hurdes (1933).
Letters to Juliet (Gary Winick, 2011)
5.5/10
Braking for Whales (Sean McEwen, 2019)
+ 5/10
Other People (Chris Kelly, 2016)
.6/10
When a Man Loves (Alan Crosland, 1927)
+ 6.5/10

John Barrymore tries to kiss the hand of his ladylove (Dolores Costello) but gets her cat instead.
Shooting the Mafia (Kim Longinotto, 2019)
6.5/10
The Photograph (Stella Meghie, 2000)
5.5/10
The Main Attraction (Daniel Petrie, 1962)
5/10
1BR (David Marmor, 2019)
5.5/10

Nicole Brydon Bloom finds a cheap apartment in LA but learns there's a higher price to pay..

Bacurau (Juliano Dornelles & Kleber Mendonça Filho, 2019)
- 6.5/10

Weird fantasy adventure set in Brazil. Yes, really weIrd - but perfectly normal if you take acid or whatever that was they were taking.
This seems interesting (hopefully even without acid). I also think either of the ratings is a typo because they don't seem to meet your curve at all

This seems interesting (hopefully even without acid). I also think either of the ratings is a typo because they don't seem to meet your curve at all
I watched it recently too and it's a very good film. It's like a weird mix of a lot of conventional genres, starts like Seven Samurai or John Carpenter (Precinct 13) where you have a village assembling to defend against evil. Lots of weird characters, colourful settings, humour, some sci-fi and the story takes a couple of big tonal shifts too. It's definitely worth a watch. Glad you liked it @mark f.

The Fifth Element (1997)

I expected entertainment and my god, I received it!

It's a Sci-Fi/Action/Comedy/Romantic flick with some funny ideas (Chinese food salesman on his boat going from house to house, etc.), a great futuristic world and some great characters! The plot may be a little weird, but that's not the reason why I watched it.
It's kind of a sci-fi mix between Taxi Driver (he drives a cab and he's an ex-military), Titanic (the ending on the boat resort) and James Bond (especially the ending). It certainly is a hell of a ride!

-
this one will go down as one of the scifi depictions of all time, a true classic and underrated film

Possession (1981) by Andrzej Zulawski

Black Sabbath (1963) by Mario Bava

Black Moon (1975) by Louis Malle

Alphaville (1965) by Jean-Luc Godard

Silent Running (1972) by Douglas Trumbull
love the selection that u put, amazing films

To Live and Die in L.A. and The Onion Field are both great. Especially To Live And Die In L.A.
to live and die in LA is the best cop depiction ever made along with heat, such a classic

Blue Velvet (1986)

I'm a big fan of black, twisted, intense and sometimes absurdly funny thrillers like this one. Especially when it's executed in such a wonderful style. The colors and the scenery of this film are sublime! The effect of darkness and noir is made stronger with great music, which accompanies the picture perfectly. Amazing experience! Lynch is a true artist.

probably the best david lynch film along with mulholland drive

The Hunger Games (2012)

I saw this in theaters when it first came out, and it was an exhilarating experience. The second time I watched it, I noticed a lot of flaws that I didn't notice the first time. After watching it a third time, I won't say it's a great movie, but it was very entertaining. I love Jennifer Lawrence, and she really did give her all in her performance. The problem with this movie is all the tacky elements and the plot. The scenes when she volunteers as tribute and when they first enter the arena are the best parts in my opinion. I don't know how I feel about the last two movies in the franchise, but I at least want to watch the second one again.

probably the best david lynch film along with mulholland drive
What about Eraserhead and The Elephant Man?

By the way, I laughed pretty hard when you said The Fifth Element was a true classic. Have you seen Brazil?

The Fog (1980) - 5.8/10. The movie is slow paced. The build up to the end was good, but then somehow it just fizzles out. Not great, not bad. Just decent.

I love The Fog. It's all atmosphere though. If you don't feel it, then 'just decent' is probably about right.

aka Fireworks. Kind of like Sonatine in that this is not a movie you can just plug into a genre. Hana-Bi is about a policeman, his dying wife, his paralyzed ex partner, his recently deceased young daughter and his debt to the Yakuza. It has a little comedy, a little drama, a little action, some pretty strong violence at times and, when it was all said and done, I came away from it thinking "did I just watch a love story?"