My Most Hated Television Characters List

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Arnold, Happy Days

Loved Pat Morita's Oscar-nominated performance in The Karate Kid, but this character was like nails-on-a-chalkboard annoying.

I liked Arnold, and (even though I also liked Al), I would have liked to see Arnold stay on the show longer.

A system of cells interlinked
Sorry, but Nellie will not be appearing on this list because I never watched Little House on the Prairie
Just never had an interest in it? I love that show!

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
So which Gladys Kravitz do you have at number 3?

Richard Avery, Knots Landing

Richard Avery (John Pleshette) had a lovely wife named Laura (Constance McCashin) and two adorable sons who was never there for his family because he was either obsessed with his work or trying to have sex with every available woman on the cul-de-sac. This one was a conflict for me because even though Richard was a total scumbag, John Pleshette was so amazing in the role that hating him was hard work.

Milburn Drysdale, The Beverly Hillbillies

Mr. Drysdale (played Raymond Bailey) was the president of the bank where Jed Clampett (Buddy Ebsen) and his family kept their new found millions. Drysdale spent most of his time with his lips firmly attached to Jed's butt in an effort to keep Jed's money in his bank. Anytime the Clampetts wanted to spend money on anything, Mr. Drysdale would be right there doing whatever he could to talk them out of it. He feigned respect and affection for the Clampetts but all he cared about was their money. He also treated his devoted secretary, Jane Hathaway (Nancy Kulp) like a slave and refused to side with his own wife, Margaret (Harriet McGibbon) in her ongoing feud with Granny Clampett (Irene Ryan).

Officer Claire Howell, Oz

Claire Howell (Kristen Rohde) was a foul-mouthed corrections officer at HBO's most famous jail who acted like one of the guys when she was around her fellow corrections officers, but when nobody was looking she was blackmailing inmates into having sex with her. This character made me sick.

Kenny Bania, Seinfeld

Stephen Arthur Hytner really brought something to this character that really made me want to smack him in the mouth. Like Jerry, Kenny was also a standup, but he really wasn't very good at it. He drove Jerry crazy and wasn't above stealing material from him. My hate for him was cemented during the episode where he gave Jerry a suit and asked Jerry to buy him dinner in exchange for the suit. When an opportunity for Jerry to buy him dinner came up, Bania ordered soup and said he wanted to save his dinner for later.

Luther Van Dam, Coach

Jerry Van Dyke was very popular in this role, even receiving an Emmy nomination, but this character was just too stupid to live,,,oh, and cheap, this guy redefined cheap. I remember one episode where he was hiding from the pizza delivery guy so that it would arrive late and he would get it for free. Stupid and cheap...a deadly combination.

The truth is in here

Officer Claire Howell, Oz

Claire Howell (Kristen Rohde) was a foul-mouthed corrections officer at HBO's most famous jail who acted like one of the guys when she was around her fellow corrections officers, but when nobody was looking she was blackmailing inmates inmates into having sex with her. This character made me sick.
Yeah, she really was the absolute worst. Vern Schillinger is more irredeemable technically, but he still was a character you loved to hate. Whenever Claire Howell came onscreen however, she just made me nauseous. A very uncomfortable case of how far you can go with corruption.

Cleveland, Family Guy

I love this show, but I think this is the show's most boring and pointless character. His degree of intelligence changes from episode to episode as does his awareness of being the only black character on the show. I can't believe he was actually spun off into his own series. If I wanted to spin off a Family Guy character into his own series, he is the last one I would have considered for the honor.

Magda, Sex and the City

The recently deceased Lynn Cohen played a housekeeper that Miranda (Cynthia Nixon) hired who was a terrific housekeeper but was unable to keep out of Miranda's personal life and made her disapproval of Miranda's lifestyle known to her. In one episode, she found a drawer in Miranda's bedroom where she kept some sex toys and replaced them with a bible. When Miranda read her the riot act, Magda took the bible out and filled the drawer with as many condoms as she could get her hands on.

James Robson, Oz

Robson (played by R E Rogers) was the #1 lieutenant (and part time bitch) to Vern Schillinger (Oscar winner JK Simmons) who did most of Schillinger's dirty work for him until he was targeted and sodomized by another inmate who made him his bitch. This guy annoyed me because of his blind loyalty to Schillinger. We were never privy to a thought, word, or action that was actually his own.

So which Gladys Kravitz do you have at number 3?
I actually am still on the fence as to whether or not I want to include Gladys Kravitz on this list, but if I do, I definitely preferred Sandra Gould over Alice Pearce.

Zoey, Two and a Half Men

We saw a lot of romantic interests on this show over its long run but this one was clearly the most annoying. Zoey (Winkleman) was a British divorcee with a young daughter who comes into the life of Walden Schmidt (Ashton Kutcher). She was attracted to Walden, but wouldn't have sex with him. She was impressed with his wealth, but blew a gasket whenever he would buy her something. When she did finally have sex with him, she shoved him under the bed so her daughter wouldn't find out. When Walden finally planned the most romantic marriage proposal ever, including a serenade from Michael Bolton, she turned him down because it turned out she was seeing someone else. When she finally came back to Walden, he had already become involved with Charlie's crazy stalker, Rose (Melanie Lynskey). I never saw a character put another character through an emotional and romantic wringer like the one Zoey put Walden through.

Detective Bill Brennan, My Favorite Martian

Veteran character actor Alan Hewitt completely invested in this despicable character. Brennan was dating Mrs. Brown (Pamela Britton), the next door neighbor of Tim O'Hara (Bill Bixby) and his Uncle Martin (Ray Walston), who was really a martian from outer space. Brennan suspected there was something strange about Martin but could never get definitive proof and worked tirelessly to expose Martin's secret.

Dr. Preston Burke, Grey's Anatomy

This might be an unpopular entry on this list, but I truly despised this character. Isaiah Washington played the cocky surgeon who thought that he was the best surgeon on the planet and defied hospital administrative policies on the regular. He had a fiery off and on relationship with Dr. Cristina Yang (Sandra Oh), who was sort of a female version of him. The relationship ended with Yang leaving Burke at the altar on their wedding day. I would be lying if I said I was unhappy when Washington got fired from the show after making homophobic comments about co-star TR Knight.

Account terminated on request
Wow, can't believe Potsie is your first one He's easily one of my favorite Happy Days characters, and Anson's performance is certainly a big part of it.
Happy Days (dusting off huge layers of dust in me noggin) might have suffered from the "gotta make an appearance in every show" contracts. You'd have a story that had no bearing on Potsie or Ralph-malph and they'd have to show up in a stupid context.

So that resulted in numbnutted characters totally getting on my nerves.

Potsie wasn't on my hated list, but he's on my irked list for sure.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Account terminated on request

Arnold, Happy Days

Loved Pat Morita's Oscar-nominated performance in The Karate Kid, but this character was like nails-on-a-chalkboard annoying.
YES! Poorly written and repetitive, HOWEVER, he has one moment that to me I always remember, which forever takes him off of my {grumble,grumble,grumble}-list:

TV Interviewer (at the end of interviewing Arnold): Can you say goodbye in a foreign language for our viewers?
Arnold: Adios amigos!

LOL. It's really all I remember in any level of detail from him.