Harriet: Harriet Tubman biopic

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I just saw it. It was okay but feel it was kind of predictable, and kind of feels like we've seen this before but done much more low stakes though, like a low stakes Braveheart. Maybe they just needed to increase the stakes and drama. Not a bad movie by any means, it just feels like it could have been a lot better though.

I actually did want to see this one, but the reviews were less than stellar, which was surprising for a movie like this. Might still try and catch it once it hits Redbox

I think their desire to propagandize took precedence over developing a biopic with entertainment value.

Caught this at the cinemas a couple of months ago. Living in UK Harriet Tubman wasn't someone who I was overly familiar with, so did find the film to be informative of someone who earned the recognition in history. As a bit of a sucker for historical films and biopics go, thought it did the trick of a remarkable woman who deserved to have her story told long before now. Would definitely recommend for people to check it out.

One thing about the movie I did not like is it feels like Harriet didn't have to get her hands dirty all. This is a minor spoiler I guess, but she was able to free so many slaves, without having to kill anyone hardly. Is that too Hollywood maybe?

Inspiring, though not the best job,but it deserves attention. A fairly simple, good film, but somehow it does not stand out especially. I would put him 6 out of 10

One thing about the movie I did not like is it feels like Harriet didn't have to get her hands dirty all. This is a minor spoiler I guess, but she was able to free so many slaves, without having to kill anyone hardly. Is that too Hollywood maybe?
Yes that would've been too Hollywood.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'd like too. I like historical period pieces and it sounds like my kind of film.

Oh well what I mean is, that it comes off as too Hollywood by not having her get her hands dirty much at all, and by playing it safe, doesn't it?

Yeah I know, but other true stories will change aspects to heighten the drama, so why not do it here, since other true story based movies do it?

Yeah I know, but other true stories will change aspects to heighten the drama, so why not do it here, since other true story based movies do it?
I haven't seen it, but doesn't Harriet Tubman risk her life to help free slaves? That would seem to be pretty dramatic to me. Or did the movie show that she was never in any kind of danger of being discovered?

But I felt that she risked her life too much though, to the point where she made some dumb decisions. She chooses to keep two men alive, who would just come hunt her later. She has a gun on them... a gun on one at one point in the movie, and a gun on one later on... so why not just shoot them, cause otherewise they will come after her later. But by keeping them alive, I thought it kind of made her kind of a foolish, 'boy scout', you could say.