A Million Little Things

Tools    

Fans of the 1983 classic The Big Chill might want to check out this new pilot from ABC. This is the story of four best friends and the ramifications when one of them, John (Ron Livingston), commits suicide. The pilot even opened with someone putting on cuff links which made me immediately flash back to the dressing of Alex's body during the opening credits of The Big Chill. Eddie (David Guintoli) is a recovered alcoholic and is in love with a woman who is not his wife; Gary (James Roday) is a compulsive skirt-chaser who has been diagnosed with breast cancer; Rome (Romany Malco) is an aspiring filmmaker who was actually getting ready to swallow a bunch of pills when he got the news about John. I'm not sure yet if the show is going to be about why John committed suicide or about how these guys plan to move on, but I was intrigued by the already heavy reveals we got in the pilot. I loved the moment when the guys' phone alarms all went off at the same time because John had made them set the alarms whenever there was a Bruins game. I liked this one, I think I'll keep watching.

I had to wait a couple of weeks to see it, but Ep 2 was pretty awesome, providing a little more insight into the surviving characters and I guess that's what the show is going to be about...how these people move on and not about why John (Ron Livingston) killed himself. We really haven't gotten much more info as to why John killed himself but have found myself wondering why Rome (Romany Malco) was about to kill himself when he got the call about John and I was glad that Maggie said she couldn't be his therapist, but something tells me that might change. Eddie and Delilah also need to stop wearing the guilt all over their faces every time in the same room together or they've just wasted a a lot of time trying to cover up what thy're trying to cover up.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Was interested in this, didn't know it's already aired.

Suspect's Reviews

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've been watching this show since the first episode, and at first, I was on the fence if I was going t stick with it. I wanted to watch a few more episodes to see what direction the show was going.

After the third episode, I'm officially hooked. This show just keeps getting better and better with each episode, and I can't wait to see where they go next.

I've been watching this show since the first episode, and at first, I was on the fence if I was going t stick with it. I wanted to watch a few more episodes to see what direction the show was going.

After the third episode, I'm officially hooked. This show just keeps getting better and better with each episode, and I can't wait to see where they go next.
Haven't seen ep 3 yet, but I'm hooked too.

Haven't seen ep 3 yet, but I'm hooked too.

I had a feeling from something you said in your post about the 2nd episode that you hadn't seen the 3rd episode yet. That's why I didn't say much about it. I don't want to spoil it for you.

Just finished ep 3 and despite some syrupy moments here and there, this show is really starting to gel thanks to solid writing and a terrific cast who seem to understand these character. I'm finding part of the premise troubling though...I'm having trouble accepting Jon (Ron Livingston) as being this all-knowing, all-caring, all-encompassing Superman who kept everything and everyone together made everyone put reminders in their phones, made everyone do what they were supposed to be doing at all times...after the pilot, I wondered if this show was going to be why Jon killed himself or about his friends moving on, but I realize now that we will never know exactly why, which I should have known from the beginning. I would just like to learn that Jon was a little more human, made mistakes, forgot things, etc, then maybe his suicide wouldn't be so completely baffling, but I guess that's the point. Will keep watching.

Just finished ep 3 and despite some syrupy moments here and there, this show is really starting to gel thanks to solid writing and a terrific cast who seem to understand these character. I'm finding part of the premise troubling though...I'm having trouble accepting Jon (Ron Livingston) as being this all-knowing, all-caring, all-encompassing Superman who kept everything and everyone together made everyone put reminders in their phones, made everyone do what they were supposed to be doing at all times...after the pilot, I wondered if this show was going to be why Jon killed himself or about his friends moving on, but I realize now that we will never know exactly why, which I should have known from the beginning. I would just like to learn that Jon was a little more human, made mistakes, forgot things, etc, then maybe his suicide wouldn't be so completely baffling, but I guess that's the point. Will keep watching.

I don't have a problem with Jon being the glue that held the group together. There are people who are very organized like that, and they just keep everyone around them in check. They're usually the annoying people that get under everyone's skin, but Jon seemed to do it in a way that he made everyone happy instead.

I haven't watched episode 4 yet, but episode 3 hinted at a possible reason for his suicide, but came up just short of saying that this is the reason.

WARNING: "SPOILERS!!!" spoilers below
He may or may not have found out that his wife and one of his best friends were having an affair. His last phone message hinted that he may have known about it, but we may never know for sure if that's what he meant in his last message.

Ep 4, "Friday Night Dinner"...I don't know why they didn't call it "Pizza Night", since the phrase was uttered every three minutes during the episode. As a fan of This is Us, I should be accustomed to a show that keeps moving back and forth through time, but for some reason, I found it really confusing during this episode. Really liked Gerald McRaney as Delilah's dad with Alzheimers...I guess they must be done with his Emmy winning role on This is Us. I had been anxious to find out why Rome (Romany Malco) was also planning suicide during the pilot, and if what was revealed during his session with Maggie was the actual reason, I'm really disappointed to learn this character is such an entitled whimp. And who is Gary to be so judgmental with Eddie? The guy is screwing his way through a breast cancer support group? This guy shouldn't be throwing stones at anyone. I'm also hoping Maggie doesn't give up on her disease, even if she does give up on Gary.

I know I'm getting seriously invested in this show because half of what happened in ep 5 had me giggling and the other half had me wanting to throw my shoe at the TV screen. I'm through with Maggie...how this woman can just give up on her life and then pin her decision to continue treatment on a one on one basketball game just pissed me off. And then Gary just signing off on it? This storyline is giving James Roday a chance to show what a talented actor he is, almost makes me wish I had actually watched Psyche. I liked that what happened between Delilah and her daughter brought them closer together, but she's going to destroy it trying to hide this pregnancy from her. I'm glad Eddie and Catherine are done, Catherine is an icy bitch. I was a little disappointed there was no appearance of Ron Livingston's Jon in this episode...for four episodes they have kept the character center stage and the hook of every show and I have to admit I was disappointed that there wasn't a single Jon flashback in this ep, but still a solid show that I am definitely hooked on.

Ep 6 had me flip flopping after the reveal of Delilah's pregnancy and it actually worked out the way I thought it had to. I thought it was Eddie's until she said it was Jon's but then she went to abort the baby, I knew it couldn't be Jon's because she would NEVER abort Jon's baby, but this pretending that it's Jon's baby is NEVER going to work. I couldn't believe Gina found Rome's suicide note and we still aren't any closer to finding out way Rome wanted to kill himself. Romany Malco is acting his ass off though.

Ep 7 was kind of odd. I don't believe we were put through that whole thing of Rome passing a kidney stone and Gina learning that Maggie was seeing Rome and we STILL don't know why Rome was trying to kill himself at the same time Jon did. I enjoyed Gary and Maggie's duet of "I'm Still Standing" and I hope the ending meant that Maggie has changed her mind, it was kind of hard to tell. I was not thrilled that Eddie changed his mind about selling his song but he does have a child to support and I'm also wondering how long Delilah thinks she can put off telling her kids that she's pregnant.

I know we're supposed to feel bad for Maggie because she's dying, but ep 8 just fueled it for me, and those nightmares are lousy clues to this trauma from Maggie's past that's made her want to give up on life. Sorry, but don't see how what happened to Chad has made Maggie want to die and if she thinks she owes it to Chad to die, that's stupid. The writers are also need to be careful with the overly cute writing...Rome's description of Catherine's blind date made the guy sound totally gay and I don't think this character is supposed to be gay. I was also surprised that there was no talk about Delilah telling her children that she's pregnant. James Roday is terrific and I liked that final scene with Ashley...I wouldn't mind seeing Gary and Ashley get together. Oh, and Catherine and Hunter have no chemistry at all but the fact that she admitted to Hunter that she was using him seemed to make up for it.

Well it took 9 episodes for TPTB to figure it out, but James Roday is clearly the standout cast member here and his character Gary is, for me, the best part of this show. I really enjoyed the scenes of Gary and Jon (Ron Livingston) in chemo, though I don't buy that Jon was sending a message to Gary when he said that Gary would outlive him. I don't think Jon put a lot of planning into what he did. Gary's breakdown at the surprise party was really well-done, though I was troubled by his anger at Jon, the only person who apparently visited him in chemo. Oh, and Rome's father is a dick.

I know I'm getting seriously invested in this show because half of what happened in ep 5 had me giggling and the other half had me wanting to throw my shoe at the TV screen. I'm through with Maggie...how this woman can just give up on her life and then pin her decision to continue treatment on a one on one basketball game just pissed me off. And then Gary just signing off on it? This storyline is giving James Roday a chance to show what a talented actor he is, almost makes me wish I had actually watched Psyche. I liked that what happened between Delilah and her daughter brought them closer together, but she's going to destroy it trying to hide this pregnancy from her. I'm glad Eddie and Catherine are done, Catherine is an icy bitch. I was a little disappointed there was no appearance of Ron Livingston's Jon in this episode...for four episodes they have kept the character center stage and the hook of every show and I have to admit I was disappointed that there wasn't a single Jon flashback in this ep, but still a solid show that I am definitely hooked on.
Gary didn't really "just sign off on" Maggie giving up. He agreed to not mention it again, but then the first chance he had, he tried to get her to start chemo. He's not giving up on her so easily.

I think Eddie and Catherine need to stop seeing each other for a while, but I think I might like to see them get back together eventually. They could be good for each other in the long run.

You should definitely watch at least a few episodes of "Psych". James Roday was terrific in that show, and after a few episodes, you'll probably want to watch the rest of the series.

I don't think Ron Livingston will be in the whole series. I noticed in the last episode that he was listed as a "Special Guest Star".

I know we're supposed to feel bad for Maggie because she's dying, but ep 8 just fueled it for me, and those nightmares are lousy clues to this trauma from Maggie's past that's made her want to give up on life. Sorry, but don't see how what happened to Chad has made Maggie want to die and if she thinks she owes it to Chad to die, that's stupid. The writers are also need to be careful with the overly cute writing...Rome's description of Catherine's blind date made the guy sound totally gay and I don't think this character is supposed to be gay. I was also surprised that there was no talk about Delilah telling her children that she's pregnant. James Roday is terrific and I liked that final scene with Ashley...I wouldn't mind seeing Gary and Ashley get together. Oh, and Catherine and Hunter have no chemistry at all but the fact that she admitted to Hunter that she was using him seemed to make up for it.
Those nightmares that Maggie had were the reason that she's giving up because she blames herself for Chad's death, so she doesn't think she deserves to live.
WARNING: "SPOILERS!!!" spoilers below
That's why he jumps out of the plane in the last dream, and he tells her to go on without him.

I don't like Gary and Ashley together. Gary should be with Maggie. It's obvious that he really loves her. I just hope he didn't mess up his chances with her.

Well it took 9 episodes for TPTB to figure it out, but James Roday is clearly the standout cast member here and his character Gary is, for me, the best part of this show. I really enjoyed the scenes of Gary and Jon (Ron Livingston) in chemo, though I don't buy that Jon was sending a message to Gary when he said that Gary would outlive him. I don't think Jon put a lot of planning into what he did. Gary's breakdown at the surprise party was really well-done, though I was troubled by his anger at Jon, the only person who apparently visited him in chemo. Oh, and Rome's father is a dick.
I think Gary is angry with Jon because Jon convinced him not to give up when he was getting chemo, but then Jon gave up on himself without even talking to anyone. We still don't know why he gave up.

I think the reason Rome wanted to take His
Own life was because he was so unhappy. Both with his career , making the commercials instead of his movie. And also because he has clinical depression.
I thought the irony in Rome’s description of Hunter was not portraying Hunter as gay. It’s that Rome a heterosexual man is describing ,in such flattering details ,the looks of Hunter, Another heterosexual man to the chagrin of Eddie.

Ep 10 had its problems but most of them went by the wayside when Gary found out that Maggie is doing chemo and I loved the WAY he found out. I'm glad Sophia finally found out her mother was pregnant but the way it happened was kind of lame and I think Delilah got off way too easy, but then she got that notice about the house...what was that about? And what the hell does Ashley have to do with it? And does the house have something to do with why Jon killed himself. I'm also getting very weary of Rome and all of his issues and Delilah's son, Danny is beyond annoying.