Top 100 favourite films

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I like Bill & Ted and Sleepy Hollow. Shakespeare in Love does have an lot to recommend it as well, especially in the first half, but I was never that convinced by the romance.

88. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

This is a very strange film but it pulls together wonderfully. It is dark but funny at the same time.

Gilliam uses dream-like sequences and odd behaviour to construct a fantasic escape into imagination. Great performances, especially by heath ledger and Colin farrell.

I haven't seen several of the movies you listed so far, but of the ones I've seen, I liked Ruby Sparks, Good Will Hunting, and The Truman Show.
Some of mine are ones that many people might not of seen but maybe will start to watch

87. Extract

I thought this movie was hilarious. There are enough strange characters to keep you entertained. The script is good with some really funny scenes.

Ben Affleck is amazing as a bartender. Jason Bateman is very good.

86. Politically correct party animals

One of the best attempts at recreating the legendary iconography that is animal house.

This movie is full of quotable quotes and less than known actors at the time.

This movie though much overlooked is a cult classic.

85. Inglourious Basterds

Inglorious Basterds makes no apologies, asks for no forgiveness, it's a no holds barred assault on the senses. Tarantino doesn't care if he offends, if he steps all over stereotypes and clichés, this is film making at it purest. It's great to see a film maker whose work clearly isn't interfeared with by the powers that be. Tarantino is a master of effortlessly cranking up immense tension and suddenly mixing it with laugh out loud moments; you're not sure if you should be looking away in disgust or rolling around laughing, either way it's a roller coaster and one not to be missed! It's not for everyone, certainly if you're not a fan of Tarantino's style, this may be a little hard to swallow, but never-the-less, it is a film which simply has to be seen.

84. The tree of life

Unlike a novel the stories in this movie don't unfold, revelation following revelation, culminating in a definable theme.

There is no moral, no hero, no emotional epiphanies. What it presents is an extraordinary haunting vision of childhood, how the things we love the most are fragile but immensely powerful.

83. Limitless

A stylish movie with an interesting premise that delivers more than it fails.

Bradley Cooper, as "Eddie Mora," was good in the lead and actually all the characters in the film were interesting. That includes the villains were credibly menacing.

Anyone who has been hooked on any kind of pill can relate to this film. The pill in this story, however, is different from anything anyone's heard of....and intriguing. You can't help but wonder if you would be tempted to take it yourself.

Co-starring with Cooper and his magic pill is the style of the film. It's very stylish and looks great on Blu-Ray. If you're into visuals, this is a good movie to check out. The same goes for fans of suspense.

I found this very entertaining and a film I would watch again. Yeah, the ending is a little contrived but, overall, it's a fun movie to watch

82. Saving private Ryan

I will just start off with saying that this is an excellent movie. Tom Hanks' character is superb as he again proves that he is one of the best actors still going today.The direction is magnificent, bravo Steven Spielberg who shows that war is absolutely not glamorous. Spielberg can enthrall audiences like no other.The battle on Omaha beach was powerful ,extraordinary stuff.

We start this movie with the attack on Omaha beach, D-day 1944.Captain John.H.Miller(Tom Hanks)leads his regiment up on to the sands meanwhile being bombarded by Nazi gunmen.

When Omaha Beach is seized by the American and British forces John is asked to embark on a mission to save a soldier who's three brothers had just died and who now has a ticket home to his grieving mother.John agrees and begins the task of saving Private Ryan all the while his regiment wonder why they must risk their lives to save one man.

This is a great movie but very intense and powerful.The battle scenes are superb.

81. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

'Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist' turned out to be a sweet and cool surprise. I was just expecting another usual teen flick and while the main storyline does follow the formula, its the treatment that appealed. The director really shows that even though there is a physical attraction between the two leads, they also have characteristics that repel each other. But, what really brings these two people closer is their passionate liking for music. Both have the same taste and the best parts of the films are the sequences where the two talk about their favourite songs and singers.

The movie pretty much takes place during an entire night and Sollett's portrayal of night in the city is amusing and exciting. Lighting is cleverly used and the yellow tinted colour adds more excitement into the night. With the exception of that Spice Girls track, I like the soundtrack.

Michael Cera and Kat Dennings suit their parts wonderfully. They maintain a good chemistry (even though their love scene looks a little awkward). Aaron Yu, Rafi Gavron and Jonathan Wright provide some fun comic relief as Nick's friends/bandmembers. Ari Graynor is hilarious.

80. The Adjustment Bureau

This film is about a successful politician who has to choose between the woman of his dreams and his career, when he meets a team of messengers who control fate.

"The Adjustment Bureau" is certainly a different romantic film. The plot is an engaging and refreshing mix of romance and science fiction. The thrill and excitement of the science fiction part is well maintained throughout the film, while the romance part melts viewers hearts. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt are so convincing together, making their romance very believable. Once again, Emily Blunt puts on a particularly stellar performance, showing her impressive range of acting skills and on screen charm.

"The Adjustment Bureau" is a good film as it is a refreshing departure from mundane and formulaic romantic comedies

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've only seen three of your last ten movies. I loved The Adjustment Bureau, I think Saving Private Ryan is a great movie, but it's not the type of movie that I'd ever want to rewatch, and I hated Inglourious Basterds.

I'm going to post 10 a day until I get to my top 20. Then do the whole lot from 20 onwards. Makes it easier for people to follow it that way.

79. House

Hausu is basically the most bizarre Haunted House movie I've ever seen. The story follows a group of girlfriends who head to the country for vacation. They go to one of the girl's Aunt's house to spend their time. But beknownst to all of them the Aunt isn't really who she says she is. And there's a cat named Snowflake that obviously has some issues. Girls begin experiencing the supernatural and things don't seem to be slowing up. Reading back what I just wrote kinda makes the movie seem not so interesting. Seems like just another haunted house flick. But if you pop in this flick, almost immediately you will realize you've never seen a film like this. Filmed in a lively, colorful way mixed with a fantastic soundtrack, the flick exceeds on all levels of production. Combine the production values with a children's movie feel, then combine that with some blood, violence and nudity, you get a very different hybrid genre of a flick. Hausu is a flick that all fans of unique horror or cinema for that matter should check out.

78. The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

What I did like was the not too serious attempt to bring an almost impossible galaxy to the big screen. The lighthearted approach allowed the viewer to relax into the characters and imagine the possibilities of such a life and existence. The casting was pretty good, with Martin Freeman, Stephen Fry, John Malkovich and Alan Rickman spot on. Perhaps only Zooey Deschanel appeared to struggle a little with the role.

77. The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear

The production values are crisp as usual, with good photography and editing and striking location work. The dialogue is dumb, but in a good way, this is not the dumb humour where it is so stupid you forget to laugh, this is the dumb humour that is silly but still makes you smile and laugh.

The story is quickly paced and never fails to interest me, while the gags on the whole are superbly timed and there are lots of them. My personal favourites are the wonderful send-up of the pottery scene from Ghost and the headline proclaiming that Elvis is alive and well, also the beginning sets the tone of the film very well. With most of the original cast returning and some new faces along the way, the cast are a delight, and the characters are fun. Leslie Nielson once again gives an inspired performance, and Priscilla Presley and George Kennedy give nice support. Also strong are Robert Goulet(as the villain) and Lloyd Bochner, and seeing Richard Griffiths was fun too.

76. Chasing Amy

This is a very well done movie. Kevin Smith is well known for his creative dialog and clever direction in all of his movies, this is no exception. The actors performances, especially those of Ben Affleck, Jason Lee, Joey Lauren Adams, and Dwight Ewell, is exceptional. You won't find better direction for this kind of movie. I normally don't like love stories but this is one of those rare exceptions.

75. The evil dead

The Evil Dead is a film that scared me. In fact, everyone I spoke to has been scared of this film.

It really is a horrible film. You feel sorry for the characters in it. They are trapped in a cabin in the woods with some evil looking demons. The forest itself is alive and there is no way out. When I first watched this film I wanted the good guys to die because I felt sorry for them.

This film is one of the great horrors like The Omen, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Nightmare on Elm Street. There are some truly creepy scenes in the film. The scariest scenes are where the girls are possessed by the demons. The other really scary scene is where the demon is in the cellar-I couldn't stop thinking about that scene.

The best horror films are the ones where the characters are in hopeless situations with no easy way out. The Evil Dead is one of those films. It really is creepy.