Top 100 favourite films

→ in
Tools    

These are my top personal favourite films.

The first 50 are films i've listed in no particular order.

Some of these you may or may not have seen.

So without further ado here goes.

100. Bill and teds excellent adventure

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is really funny, and it is fun to watch. It doesn't require much thinking to watch this, and that's a good thing. It isn't the greatest movie of all time, but it is very funny, and it never becomes real stupid.

This movie follows two teens, Bill & Ted, who have to do a good history project in order to succeed later in life. A man named Rufus(George Carlin) comes to them with a time machine, which is also a phone booth. Bill & Ted go back in time and try to bring some of history's most important people to the future so they can use them in their history project. Not all goes well though, as the historical figures get into some trouble.

The humor in this movie is never dumb, it never becomes raunchy, and it always stays funny.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure many years ago, but the only thing that I remember about it is that I think George Carlin was in it. I have the DVD because Hubby likes that movie, so maybe I'll watch it again. (I'm pretty sure that I have not seen the sequel.)

I saw Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure many years ago, but the only thing that I remember about it is that I think George Carlin was in it. I have the DVD because Hubby likes that movie, so maybe I'll watch it again. (I'm pretty sure that I have not seen the sequel.)
It has got George carlin in it aswell as a young keanu reeves.

99. Waking ned

This movie had me from the beginning, the opening scene with Jack and Annie, the lottery and the apple tart, the opening credits song from the waterboys.

The locale is beautiful, as usually is from films set in Ireland and Scotland.

The movie as a whole, evokes the forgotten quiet corners of the world, the simple and beautiful lives of those who live there, the deep lifelong friendships formed, the memories of shared lives, literally from birth to death.

The speech that Jackie gives at ned's funeral is very touching. There is also a lot of wisdom in many of the lines spoken by the characters.

98. Smart people

Dennis Quaid plays the widowed professor Lawrence wetherhold as the patta familias in a way that reminded me very much of Harrison Ford as indiana Jones. The tone of his character is set on early in the movie by his double parking and complete unwillingness to remember the names of his students.

Ellen page plays the daughter in a way she does best. Church and Parker play the stepbrother and love interest.

It's a small film about real people with some very funny moments. A breathe of fresh air amidst all the bombastic action blockbusters.

97. Moonrise Kingdom

Moonrise Kingdom is a quasi fantasy film about love. While the main plot line is the most obvious romance story, there are other stories of love embedded here aswell. From the scout master who loves his job, with wife cheating on her husband with the captain, to her dissolving marriage with her husband. Love is the theme of this movie.

What is most striking is that the love story between the two children is the most pure, most real love shown in the film. It shows the wonder and beauty that such innocence can bring when it's combined with a deep love of someone.

The shots in the film are captivating and lovely, with the final one bringing tears to my eyes. There are also subtle and not so subtle moments of humour. Bill Murray has some great lines that are easy to miss.

As with most Wes Anderson films this is quirky almost to the extreme. It is pure, it is a wonderful meditation of what love should be and how as we age and grow more cynical it's true meaning becomes lost on us.

96. Ruby sparks

Written by and starring zoe kazan, ruby sparks tells the story of a writer ( Paul dano) who finds romance in the most unimaginable way, with a character in his story coming to life as his lover.

The whole film is so unique and done so well. The two lead actors had great chemistry. The supporting cast was also very good throughout the film.

This film works very well as a drama/comedy with a hint of fantasy. The film flows at a good pace and the characters develop nicely without being one dimensional.

95. Good will hunting

The fact that it was written by Ben and Matt was a shock to me, I did not expect any strong writing and a solid script, but boy was I wrong. The movie lasts for 2 hours, and every minute of it I couldn't even focus on anything beside the incredible world of Will Hunting.

Matt plays Will Hunting, who is a brilliant young man who denies his unreal intellect. Will has had a very abusive childhood which hurt him mentally to a point where he can no longer let anyone close to him aside from his best friend who is played by Ben. That is until a professor at one of the top colleges finds Will's talent and helps him out of trouble with the law. Robin Williams later comes in as a therapist to Will, he is the only one who can really stand up to Will's intellect and manages to break the layer of distrust that Will has developed over years of solitude, and the two develop a bond beyond friendship.

Yes there is a girl, but this is not a romantic movie. There is more to life then what we are taught and what we have to show for it.

The writing is witty, brilliant and hilarious at times, both Matt and Robin Williams preform wonderfully from both a comedic and theatrical prospective. Matt's best work since Dogma and Williams best along side Dead Poet's Society.

94. The truman show

The truman show was a very excellent representation of things in life that people chase but cannot have. From the seemingly clichéd lifestyle truman lives, with friendly neighbours, a steady job and even the typical adult look with his suit and briefcase, truman lives the life that the average american in the 80's would want to have, and there us nothing wrong with his life at all. This movie is a perfectly executed film about how the perfect life is unachievable.

The film was very well done. A few of the things the movie did well we're the way it gave the main character, truman, personality with almost everything he did, whether it be his personality quirks or the very catchy things he says, almost every part of truman is extremely memorable.

93. Saw

This is definately a smart thriller and it will have you on the edge of your seat from the very bloody beginning, to the bloody limb-severing conclusion.

The characters are extremely believeable and the acting was great. Everyone performed perfectly and we're believeable to watch.

The entire movie has a dark, damp setting, it is overloaded with tense scenes and lots of gore.

92. Snatch

Guy ritchie's follow up to lock, stock and two smoking barrels is every bit as astonishing as it's predecessor. The humour is better.

Vinnie Jones plays a similar role as big Chris, here as bullet proof Tony.

Good performances, fantastic characters, razor sharp dialogue, expert direction and camera work and brilliant humour.

91. Sleepy Hollow

Tim Burton has again proved his worth with a masterpiece of gothic horror. The whole way the film is made is excellent, from the way the special effects are used to enhance the story, rather than sell the movie, to the superb acting of the entire cast. I must confess I was a little reluctant at first to see Johnny Depp in the lead role, but from the outset my mind was changed as he threw himself enthusiastically into the part with exactly the right mix of assumed self confidence tempered by a realistic portrayal of a man hopelessly out of his depth in the situation in which he finds himself.

The story, the sets, the special effects and most of all the cast and director make this a film well worth seeing, definately the best thing out of Hollywood in a very long time.

90. Shakespeare in love

It is cleverly written to include characters and events that we've read about in boring theatre history books for eons, but are now presented as living, lusty, real people. It gives us comic, romantic, sad, and hopeful moments all at the same time. The performances by all of the actors are top notch. Geoffrey Rush, Ralph Fiennes, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Ben Affleck are superb. The supporting cast is equally excellent. Not to be missed is the performance by Judie Dench as Queen Elizabeth l. Her time on film is short, but her impact on the film is enormous. Bits and pieces of Shakespeare's work are evident throughout, and the tie ins to Christopher Marlowe are inspired! Costumes, makeup, scenery, lighting, and sound - all the technical and design elements are incredibly well researched and well executed. This film gives us a wonderful look at life in the Elizabethan period, not just the life of those involved in the theatre. From the ink stained hands of Shakespeare to the contents of countless toss pots hurled out of upper floor windows, we feel the grime and grit endured by Londoners during the 16th century.

Hi Nat. Of your first ten I like Moonrise Kingdom, Good Will Hunting, Shakespeare in Love and Waking Ned best - that one has a great cast of character actors. Look forward to reading more.

Hi Nat. Of your first ten I like Moonrise Kingdom, Good Will Hunting, Shakespeare in Love and Waking Ned best - that one has a great cast of character actors. Look forward to reading more.
My choice of favourites isn't like everybody else's on here. Going through all the user's favourite movie lists is quite entertaining.

I hope you like my other choices for the remaining 80

Rep for Good Will Hunting (which his in my 100 too), Bill & Ted, Saw and Sleepy Hollow. I repped Ruby Sparks too because, while I've not seen it, I'd like to.

89. American Psycho

Christian Bale plays Patrick Bateman, a self obsessed twenty seven year old who works on Wall Street. He and his colleagues are obsessed with having the best items and dining at the trendiest places. In an early scene Patrick and his colleagues compare business cards and he is mortified when one of the others has one which is more tasteful than his, even though they all look virtually identical. Strangely this seems to bother him far more than the fact that people routinely mistake him for other people. He uses this anonymity to invite out a fellow stock broker then murders him with an axe while calmly explaining how he thinks the band Genesis improved under Phil Collins influence. As the film progresses his psychosis deepens and he starts killing more and more people including a homeless man, a model and a prostitute he calls Christie.

It is never one hundred percent certain that he is in fact killing people or if he is just delusional, I used to believe the latter but on later viewings think how he was getting away with his crimes was part of the satire, I liked that there are hints at both possibilities.