My top movies from 2000-2015

→ in
Tools    

1119. Mac beth (2015)

This was a gripping, intense, beautifully shot film with unforgettable performances and has to be the best retellings of not only 'macbeth' But all of shakespeares plays on screen. This movie did an incredibly amazing job at sticking to the source material whilst also incorporating a visually stunning cinematic style. It has a very interesting cinematic style using slow motion effects and sped up film in order to capture the emotions that the characters are feeling at every moment. I was in awe about how beautiful this film was, the wide shots of the landscape are incredible whether there was something going on or not.

Mad Max should be at least 800 spots higher.
I was a great film but only seen it the once that's why it's so low.

1118. The lobster (2015)

It's stylish, it's got technique, it's disorientating, it asks questions about us and doesn't really care about hearing our answers. It installs within you the uneasiness that the characters must feel in this collection of increasingly odd situations through stilted, brutally frank dialogue in a masterclass of a script.

1117. Liza the fox-fairy (2015)

It was one of the most pleasant surprises I ever had watching a hungarian movie. The cinematography and scenery were beautiful, the actors did an excellent job. The idea of adding Japenese pop culture and mythology to a fictional capitalistic 70's hungarian scenery might seem a little far fetched at first, but it really works well. The story was captivating.

1116. James white (2015)

This narratively loose drama doesn't offer anything particularly new into giving us a glimpse into the struggles, both internal and external, faced by James. There is not enough closure or emotional reward to be given.

The best aspect of the film is the acting. Nixon gives an authentic, heartbreaking performance that's understated. Abbott, on the other hand, is given a character that requires patience and sensitivity to sympathise with. James internalizes many complex emotions thoughtout the film and what goes on in his mind is not always clear to the viewer. It's a tricky act to balance but Abbott pulls it off.

1115. Taxi tehran (2015)

This film is pretty harsh but however the film's revelations abut life under iran's tyranny, the engaging characters, their warmth, virtue and grace under pressure, gives Iran some wonderful human relations. It reminds us that there are more to a nation than its government.

1114. Ixcanul (2015)

The story tackles topics such as agriculture, arranged marriages, pregnancy, among others. The film has a stunning cinematography and direction, which was quite impressive, some scenes do make use of the shaky camera method, which within context if what's happening in the film kind of make sense.

1113. Inside out (2015)

Inside out is superb. It's proof that when Disney and Pixar work together magical things happen. Inside out is truly amazing.

All the main characters are fantasic, each one clearly and perfectly depicting their particular emotion throughout the movie. And yet somehow they don't feel flat or like they are defined by a single emotion. They feel real. They actually work together which builds their relationship and really adds to their development. Outside the mental world, Riley feels very real. She's relatable, which really adds to the movie as no one can relate to only a single emotion.

The way everything works in the brain is very interesting and creatively explained, such as why songs get stuck in your head or how they forget things. It's all very fun to watch and see what Disney and Pixar came up with. It all makes sense without taking itself too seriously.

1112. Green room (2015)

I liked so many things about this film. The slow beginning which really let's you get a feel for the characters, the progression into an enclosed-location movie for a lot of its running film, the opening of a can of worms moment that just makes everything desend into chaos, and the very funny one-liners which are fortunately very unfrequent so they don't hinder the serious mood one bit.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1113. Inside out (2015)

Inside out is superb. It's proof that when Disney and Pixar work together magical things happen. Inside out is truly amazing.

All the main characters are fantasic, each one clearly and perfectly depicting their particular emotion throughout the movie. And yet somehow they don't feel flat or like they are defined by a single emotion. They feel real. They actually work together which builds their relationship and really adds to their development. Outside the mental world, Riley feels very real. She's relatable, which really adds to the movie as no one can relate to only a single emotion.

The way everything works in the brain is very interesting and creatively explained, such as why songs get stuck in your head or how they forget things. It's all very fun to watch and see what Disney and Pixar came up with. It all makes sense without taking itself too seriously.

Finally, a movie that I've seen, and it's also a movie that I loved. Inside Out is one of my top three favorite Pixar movies. I didn't know much about it when I saw it, but I thought it was one of the most creative movies I've seen in a long time.

1111. The gift (2015)

It's a thought provoking, powerful, deep and brilliantly acted thriller. It makes you alter your perceptions and opinions of the characters as it progresses, the one constant being robin, who's actually quite sweet, brilliantly portrayed by Rebecca hall.

1113. Inside out (2015)

Finally, a movie that I've seen, and it's also a movie that I loved. Inside Out is one of my top three favorite Pixar movies. I didn't know much about it when I saw it, but I thought it was one of the most creative movies I've seen in a long time.
I do agree with you. If this was my animation lust it would be top 2. It is one of the most creative and entertaining Pixar film in ages 😀

1110. The forbidden room (2015)

This is a movie for people who are in love with the visual art-form of cinema, the technical history of it, and who have an absolute love of classic pre-code movies. There is no linear story arc, but there are many snippets of a beautifully reimagined bygone age.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I do agree with you. If this was my animation lust it would be top 2. It is one of the most creative and entertaining Pixar film in ages 😀

If Inside Out is your #2, what would be #1 in your animation list?

I would put it right behind WALL-E and Monsters Inc. in my top 3 Pixar movies, but it's a VERY close top three.

1109. Experimenter (2015)

This movie has a great insight into human nature and so did the experiments. It was a tad slow. I was immediately drawn in by the whole setup of the experiment and the progression of the rest of them. This won't get anyone's heart pumping or racing but nonetheless I was glued to the screen with what this movie was trying to show me.

If Inside Out is your #2, what would be #1 in your animation list?

I would put it right behind WALL-E and Monsters Inc. in my top 3 Pixar movies, but it's a VERY close top three.

It would either be monsters Inc, wall-e or frozen.

1108. Ex machina (2015)

The first five words that come into my head with this film are : four characters, one location, excellent dialogue, clever script and good acting.

1107. 13 minutes (2015)

This is a very good film because it combines a little know but important story with a setting in nazi Germany rarely focused on. The performances are universally excellent and the overall authenticity is impressive. This extends to some disturbing torture scenes which feature actual nazi interrogation methods.

1106. The diary of a teenage girl (2015)

This film has such an honest take on how it really feels to be a 15 year old girl. I love how the author wrote the story universally, all young girls and women can relate to Minnie. There's such a raw, realistic take on what goes through monies mind and what she feels exactly and although it's a total strange relationship between the main characters, I like how it's not just a black and white matter and I like how they were able to reveal that to me.