The Most Underrated, Unappreciated, Forgotten, and Misunderstood Films

Tools    

I personally have fond memories of The Man in the Moon (1991). One of the great coming of age films. For some reason I always got mixed up and thought Anna Chlumsky (My Girl 1991) was in the lead role instead of Reese Witherspoon.

Unfortunately, the title helps it get lost among movies with similar titles barring one word i.e. Man in the Moon (1999) - the Andy Kaufman story starring Jim Carey.

We had a pretty indepth discussion about Matinee (1993) over on Citizen Rules' review thread not too long ago - I believe Rules wrote up one of his excellent reviews for the film.
If I'm not mistaken you also have moon aswell.

I know I read his review that made me want to watch it again.

I wouldn't qualify The Elephant Man as underrated or underappreciated. It's very well known and a favorite amongst both drama buffs and David Lynch fans. As someone who's not exactly a David Lynch fan - I find it his best movie and a classic in its own right.

I wouldn't qualify The Elephant Man as underrated or underappreciated. It's very well known and a favorite amongst both drama buffs and David Lynch fans. As someone who's not exactly a David Lynch fan - I find it his best movie and a classic in its own right.
Okay fair enough. It has a score of 7 on imdb so it's underrated in my opinion and tour right it is a good movie. More people should watch it.

Bamboozled by Spike Lee is the perfect example for me. HIGHLY controversial film and generally not well received by critics, it's a brilliant satire film which examines the mistreatment and stereotypes of blacks on TV.

From the newer films I think Brimstone deserves a lot more visibility. It's one of the best films from this decade in my opinion.

From a bit older I guess Poison for the Fairies is quite forgotten but really good.

From the newer films I think Brimstone deserves a lot more visibility. It's one of the best films from this decade in my opinion.

From a bit older I guess Poison for the Fairies is quite forgotten but really good.
I've been meaning to watch Brimstone.

I need to watch brimstone still.

I haven't seen poison for the fairies either. I'll add it on my watch list.

I think the bottom two are (unfortunately) in the dustbin of cinema (in the states anyway).

I like killing them softly. Not a lot of people know or have seen it.

I've seen it. Loved it! But you're right, it's definitely underrated and it seems not a lot of people have viewed it.

In fact, I think it might warrant a re-watch this week.

I've seen it. Loved it! But you're right, it's definitely underrated and it seems not a lot of people have viewed it.

In fact, I think it might warrant a re-watch this week.
I agree with you Docholiday. I think I'm going to to watch it at some point aswell.

Okay fair enough. It has a score of 7 on imdb so it's underrated in my opinion and tour right it is a good movie. More people should watch it.

What? Its got an 8.2 on imdb

Also Dreams by Akira Kurosawa I wouldnt say its forgotten just not considered one of the directors best.