Top 100 favourite films

→ in
Tools    

I liked 500 Days of Summer. Turned it off about halfway through a rewatch though. I think a lot of things that made the movie so charming at first became really irritating on a rewatch sadly.

6. Pulp fiction

Pulp Fiction, despite borrowing from just about every movie ever made, is the most invigorating cinema experience a filmgoer can ever hope for. Its hodgepodge of violence, mayhem, and generally deviant behavior is an assault on the senses, not to mention political correctness. However, despite all the film's cleverness and style, it hinges on the performance put forth by Samuel L. Jackson as Jules. The fact that he was denied an Oscar is a downright shame. Martin Landau, the best supporting actor winner that year, was terrific and funny in Ed Wood, but Jackson was perhaps the most commanding screen presence in film history as the bible-quoting, godfearing hitman. The last scene in the coffee shop with Tim Roth still sends chills down my spine, no matter how many times I've seen it.

5. Scott Pilgrim vs the world

Scott Pilgrim versus the World is a Canadian romantic comedy and musical based on the comic books by Bryan Lee O'Malley. Scott Pilgrim is a 22y.o teen-age-looking insecure guy and guitarist who plays in a rock band called Sex Bom-omb and is going out with a minor high-school Chinese girl, Knives. He seems content until he has a dream about a girl. She happens to appear in his real world in the form of Ramona, the ever-changing-hair-colour American recently moved to Toronto. Scott is over the moon, but he has to face his own personal demons, break up with sweet Knives and fight for Ramona's love against her seven exes.

Scott Pilgrim is one of the most refreshing teen-sophomore movies produced in the last years, and one the best movies of 2010. The movie is cute, funny, entertaining, has great characters, a terrific soundtrack and stunning visuals. The story is presented as in a video-game in which the main characters are the players, and their lives is the game. The issues regarding relationships are masqueraded by the video-game approach, but they have depth. Unlike many other movies focusing on the emotional challenges of very young people, sex is not the focus, although it does not avoid it either. The movie focus on how difficult is to make a relationship work when you fall in love whit people who already have an emotional baggage and you are insecure about yourself. Scott's fights against Ramona's exes are just a metaphoric way of putting it. Moreover, the emotions of the girl are not the focus here, but the emotions of a young man who is not obsessed with sex. How do you get a girl who has an emotional baggage when you are not an over-confident guy, your dream girl is uber-cool, and her exes were brilliant guys? The good thing is that any of this is boringly presented. On the contrary, the movie is lots of fun and does not take itself seriously.

All the actors are great in their roles: Michael Cera as Scott, Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Ramona Flowers, Ellen Wong as Knives Chau; Mark Webber, Johnny Simmons and Alison Pill as the other band members Stephen, Young and Kim. Kieran Culkin is Scott's confident grounded gay Wallace Wells, Anna Kendrick as the know it all Scott's sister Stacey, and Jason Schwartzman as the revolting Gideon Graves. However, Cera really shines in this movie, in part because his physique really portraits the character from the start.

The visuals of the movie are stunning, the camera's movement, the video-game and comic use of the screen adding to the freshness and originality of the film. The fights wit the exes are extremely funny and witty. I specially liked the fight with the Vegan ex-boyfriend, which is hilarious. Also visually stunning is the musical competition between Scott's rock band and the techno Asian twins band.

The music is truly terrific. An extra bonus to a great script.

4. Major league

Over the years many times I have watched Major League and each time I enjoy it. This film just seems better if you watch it during baseball season. The cast and plot of this movie is just great. You have a bunch of misfits and old-timers who come together and bring the Cleveland Indians out of many years of a slump, and finally contend for an American League Pennant. The movie has plenty of funny moments and mishaps that the characters do just to make you laugh while at the same moment you cheer for the team in each game of the season. Charlie Sheen is great he was perfectly cast as the pitcher. Plus the cast of Wesley Snipes, James Gammon, Dennis Haysbert, Corbin Bernsen, and Tom Berenger all worked very good together even Bob Uecker is a joy as the Indians very funny play-by-play announcer. Major League is just one of those movies when you watch it each time you enjoy it and you just love to cheer for the underdog. If you are a baseball fan and love a little comedy mixed with winning then Major League is a movie to watch many times.

3. Fight club

This film was a milestone; although it bombed at the box office, Fincher's cinematic language left a mark that can still be felt now, 14 years later, on many current releases. Despite the risky 'cutting edge' nature of the film, Fincher got a huge budget for this and it shows: the camera effects and the whole production design are amazing.

This movie has a raw energy that grips me every time I watch it. What a crazy, fun ride! Whether it is a very clever satire or pure testosterone going on a rampage - both are fine by me. A film so visually stunning and sexy, with career best performances by all involved - welcome to movie heaven.

2. Sin city

Channel surfing late one night I stumbled across this film and stopped to look because of the unusual cinematography. It's visually stunning, mostly in b&w and that evokes a film noir atmosphere punctuated with those brilliant flashes of color. Two minutes later I couldn't take my eyes away. This unique film is superbly executed, the casting, the screenplay, the special effects, everything about it. As we all know, there is an expansive library of film work out there for a wide range of tastes and sensibilities.

1. The prestige

The Prestige is a masterful exercise in storytelling with superb direction and powerful performances by a grand ensemble cast. From set and production design to cinematography, from script to presentation, Christopher Nolan has once again demonstrated why he is one of the film world's brightest up and coming directors. The Prestige only helps solidify his standing as one of the landmark directors of his generation.

Told in a narrative that jumps between various points along its time line, playing out like a magic act itself, the story is that of two magicians on the rise in their careers. The first -- played by Christian Bale -- is an expert in understanding the fundamentals of any trick, but lacks showmanship. The second -- played by Hugh Jackman -- is a master showman who is more entertaining than technical. A tragic series of events pits the two performers against each other in a battle of wits that spirals further and further out of control, consuming both of them and everything and everyone they care about.

With a story that requires actors with a great deal of emotive range, Nolan has assembled what could be described as a dream cast. Both Bale and Jackman suit their respective roles perfectly, and pitting these two performers against each other was a stroke of casting genius. Michael Caine takes what could have been a forgettable role by any lesser actor and elevates it with his demanding screen presence. Probably the most surprising performance comes from David Bowie whose unforgettable turn as master physicist Nikola Tesla absolutely shines. Add Andy Serkis to the mix, and what is assembled is a group of performers who know how to fully engage the audience.

The Prestige is hard to pigeonhole into any specific genre as it walks the fine line between mystery, drama, suspense and fantasy. In that, the story becomes a never-ending stream of wonder for the mind: one can never tell exactly where the story is going to lead next, becoming more and more as time goes on. This gives Christopher Nolan ample opportunity to play. And play he does. With narration by several characters, each adding their own viewpoint to the events, and with a direction that moves between time to mystify and distract, the end result is a climax that itself is a series of puzzles that each unravel beautifully.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi - It's interesting that you said that The Empire Strikes Back was the best of the original Star Wars trilogy, but you ranked Jedi higher than Empire.

The Princess Bride - This is one of my all-time favorite movies. (It's in my top ten in my profile.) I think the swordfight between Westley and Inigo is one of the best in movie history.

Gattaca - I watched this when it was the "Movie of the Month" here on MoFo, and I liked it a lot. It's a very interesting story.

The Sixth Sense - This is one of those movies that after you watch it and the twist is revealed, you just have to go back and watch it again to figure out how you missed all the clues.

Fantasia - This movie is a wonderful blend of music and animation. I've never been a big fan of Mickey Mouse, but I loved him as the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Inception - This is another movie that has to be watched multiple times to really understand it, and after a few rewatches, I'm still not sure that I understand it.

Major League - This is not my favorite baseball movie, but it's a fun movie.

The Prestige - Hugh Jackman is one of my favorite actors, and this is one of his best movies.

Congratulations on finishing your list.