My 20/20 Movie Vision

Tools    

As I've already closed the 2019 thread I thought I might as well grab the title before any other bright spark does

No monthly themes and no particular rhyme nor reason to any watches this year .... just those movies I see during the period that I feel like making some sort of half-assed, vague, dull and uninspired comment on.

Watched
Nude (2018)
Four Minutes (2006)
Greatful Dead (2013)
Atlas Shrugged trilogy (2011 / 2012 / 2014)
Anna M. (2007)
The King's Choice (2017)
Pusher trilogy (1996 / 2004 / 2005)

Almost famous for having nailed Madonna once

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

Might as well also use this thread as a repository for the Westerns I've watched / rewatched for the upcoming countdown, sans ratings of course so as not to give any indications of what my list might eventually look like.

Western Watch
$100,000 For Lassiter (1966)
3:10 To Yuma (1957)
40 Guns To Apache Pass (1967)
7th Cavalry (1956)
A Fistful Of Dollars (1964)
A Fistful Of Dynamite aka Duck, You Sucker (1971)
A Man Alone (1955)
A Ticket To Tomahawk (1950)
Back To The Future Part III (1990)
Blazing Saddles (1974)
Blazing Stewardesses (1975)
Broken Arrow (1950)
Buchanan Rides Alone (1958)
Bullwhip (1958)
Canadian Pacific (1949)
Comanche (1956)
Comanche Station (1960)
Convict Stage (1965)
Custer's Last Stand (1936)
Day Of Anger (1967)
Dead Man (1995)
Decision At Sundown (1957)
Distant Drums (1951)
Drums Across The River (1954)
El Dorado (1966)
Four Faces West (1948)
For A Few Dollars More (1965)
Gunfight In Abilene (1967)
Gunfighters aka The Assassin (1947)
Gunsmoke (1953)
Hell's Hinges (1916)
High Lonesome (1950)
Hondo (1953)
Incident At Phantom Hill (1966)
Invitation To A Gunfighter (1964)
Last Train From Gun Hill (1959)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
Night Passage (1957)
Oklahoma! (1955)
Once Upon A Time In The West (1968)
One More Train To Rob (1971)
Only The Valiant (1951)
Open Range (2003)
Paint Your Wagon (1969)
Pale Rider (1985)
Red River (1948)
Ride In The Whirlwind (1966)
Ride Lonesome (1959)
Rio Conchos (1964)
Rooster Cogburn (1975)
Saskatchewan (1954)
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954)
Shane (1953)
Terror In A Texas Town (1958)
The Alamo (1960)
The Big Country (1958)
The Comancheros (1961)
The Fastest Gun Alive (1956)
The Fighting Kentuckian (1949)
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (1966)
The Great K&A Train Robbery (1926)
The Great Sioux Uprising (1953)
The Great Train Robbery (1903)
The Gun And The Pulpit (1974)
The Gunfight At Dodge City (1959)
The Gunfighter (1950)
The Hateful Eight (2015)
The Last Wagon (1956)
The Lawless Breed (1953)
The Man From Laramie (1955)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)
The Professionals (1966)
The Raiders (1952)
The Return Of Draw Egan (1916)
The Savage (1952)
The Tall Stranger (1957)
The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada (2005)
The Tin Star (1957)
The Undefeated (1969)
The Villain aka Cactus Jack (1979)
The Violent Men (1955)
The Way Of The West (1934)
The Wonderful Country (1959)
They Call Me Trinity (1970)
Thunder Over Arizona (1956)
Top Gun (1955)
Two Mules For Sister Sara (1970)
Two Rode Together (1961)
Ulzana's Raid (1972)
Unforgiven (1992)
War Of The Wildcats (1943)
Warlock (1959)

Nude [Nude: Chitraa]
(Ravi Jadhav, 2018)
Drama
DVR - Film4
Indian drama that occasionally lapses into melodrama and imo does somewhat overplay the social commentary, but when doing neither manages to be a reasonably absorbing, if rather slight, tale. The score is a little schmaltzy at times and some of the peripheral acting a little weak but the central performance is quite strong and the primary support generally good enough to make it a reasonably enjoyable watch that is managed quite tastefully with regards nudity. It's a quite slowly paced affair and definitely not one for those that like 'splosions or high-octane viewing though.
+

Four Minutes [Vier Minuten]
(Chris Kraus, 2006)
Drama, Music
DVD collection
German prison drama in which the material is quite suited by the aesthetically rather grim/subdued presentation and is well enough acted by its leads but sadly suffers from a somewhat contrived story that fails to have any great deal of depth or build any real emotional connection with its audience - leaving the whole feeling rather flat and insipid despite its attempts at drama and the finishing crescendo (which at least dares to show a spark of individuality, unlike much of that which precedes it). Disappointing, the award wins it garnered had me hoping for better.
+

Greatful Dead [Gureitofuru deddo]
(Eiji Uchida, 2013)
Comedy, Horror
DVD collection
Offbeat Japanese offering that despite incorporating a serious societal element at its core is for most of the first hour a somewhat whimsical affair, dotted with comedic moments, before shifting to a much darker tone and moving firmly into horror territory for the final third. The blend of narrative and tone may not always gel that well in the first two-thirds and it does come across a little childish at times but the lead acts well enough to hold it together and once the tone darkens it's a far more cohesive watch, even if personally I'd have preferred the final third played as straight horror (providing for a nicer contrast à la Miike's Audition).

Atlas Shrugged: Part I
(Paul Johansson, 2011)
Atlas Shrugged II: The Strike
(John Putch, 2012)
Atlas Shrugged: Part III
(James Manera, 2014)
Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi
DVD collection
Three-part adaptation of Ayn Rand's rather divisive novel (in keeping with the book's sections) that very much struggled to be brought to fruition and is far more televisual than cinematic in style with its budgetary constraints clearly evident. The lack of acting continuity between the various instalments certainly impacts somewhat on what is presented to the viewer, as does the generally lower level of talent involved (both in front of and behind the camera) whilst some of the CGI is also rather poor. It does however at least remain relatively true to its source material and for those that like the book the first two parts are likely to give some level of enjoyment ... but no matter one's perspective on the material the concluding part generally dips below even the modest standards of its predecessors and is quite awful in places (especially the horrible narration) which sadly does somewhat sour the whole thing imo.
/
+ /
Trilogy:
*ratings would be a whole popcorn lower for the first two and a half popcorn lower for the third part (and overall) without a fondness for the source material

Anna M.
(Michel Spinosa, 2007)
Drama
DVD collection
French drama about obsession and mental illness that's quite nicely acted and remains watchable throughout but sadly the central tale is not only rather clichéd and unremarkable but also suffers from a lack of any real build up, whilst attempts to be more than just a 'bunny boiler' are somewhat stymied by a lack of any meaningful depth or backstory to the central character.

The King's Choice [Kongens nei]
(Erik Poppe, 2016)
Biography, Drama, History, War
DVR - BBC Four
Norwegian wartime drama depicting the immediate lead-up to and the first few days of the occupation of Norway by the Germans in WWII that's nicely made and imo quite immersive. Centred on King Haakon VII and his decision on whether or not to accede to Germany's demands it is for the most part a fairly sedate affair, punctuated by only small pockets of action, but remains both of interest and enjoyable. The whole is generally well acted with a well suited score, though I have to admit I wasn't a fan of some of the more dynamic camerawork and editing during the action scenes.
+

Pusher
(Nicolas Winding Refn, 1996)
Pusher II
(Nicolas Winding Refn, 2004)
Pusher III
(Nicolas Winding Refn, 2005)
Action, Crime, Drama
DVD collection
Gritty Danish crime trilogy that's well cast and fairly solid throughout with all three benefitting from their respective strong lead performances. The initial entry imo could have done with its runtime being pared back a little though and whilst the most violent of the trilogy it's also overly 'laddish' at times and the hardest to take seriously, which sadly for me does somewhat undermine any potency. The second instalment has the most interesting and immersive story to me, making it my favourite of the series - closely followed by the third, which although initially more a character study than intense crime drama does make what transpires in the final third that much more impactful and of the three tales is imo the most believable.
/
/
+
Trilogy:
+