No plebeians allowed! - Mr Minio's honest music thread

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
What is there to not like about Illmatic? My biggest problem with it is that it's too short. The lyrics are strong, most of the production is fantastic, and Nas is at his best form.
I don't care about the lyrics in music (unless it's some stupid gangsta sheet, then I'm hatin' it). It's the least imporatnt part just like plot is least important in films. That's why rap is one of my least favourite genres, as it heavily relies on lyrical content whereas the sampled beats are not only repetitive and boring (few second loops - wut?!), but also sometimes stolen from other artists. Well, Future Funk and Vaporwave steal from other artists too, but at least they don't hide it and crank up that bass to infinity and become BANGERS in the first case or mediocre, but listenable watery music in the second case (HOWEVER WHEN THEY WATER DOWN BASS INFINITIES OF CHORAL MUSIC MAGIC IS MADE). Rap is so often very boring, too. I'd rather listen to 1h of drone music. However, there of course are exceptions and there are some rap albums I like. Still, compared to other genres, rap is very low (reggae is another sewage genre).

They indeed are cute, but I bet their music is mediocre (as with most idol groups). Still better than rap music, tho. (edgy, edgy)
Yes, I don't like rap. And J-pop / K-pop usually has a certain "bubble gum" quality that appeals to me.

In that respect, some aspects of Asian media almost seem behind the times - for instance, they still have variety shows on TV similar to things we haven't seen since "Donny & Marie"!

But the neat thing is Japan has something the west does not - tons & tons of girl groups.
Now most think this is related to their men's sick preoccupation with teen girls (which may well have something to do with it). And many of the groups are mass produced by agencies (rather than say as individuals coming together in a garage just to make music.)

But it's kind of funny that they have hundreds of these girl idol groups while the west does not. I mean, they exist here to a small degree (mostly on the amateur level), but not to the extent as in Japan, nor are they raised to the level of celebrity here as in Asia.

Have you ever been to Japan? It's so hard to get Japanese citizenship and it's so expensive to live there. There's a lot of weirdos who love to dress like little anime girls and also some other f*ckery I'd rather not even mention here, but the women kinda make up for it. However, I'd rather have Japanese girls here, than go there.

Is it just me, or does my English sound drunk (or trivial) all of the sudden? Maybe... What... What if I always sounded like this, but it's just now that I realised it?!

@topic: Listened to some amazing Russian Orthodox music and now listening to a beautiful Italian prog rock 2015 (!) release.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I used to listen to some VK like Dir En Grey, Malice Mizer, L'arc en Ciel, D'espairsRay and X Japan. But VK can be some weird stuff at times and has some very androgynous dudes.

I don't even listen to Visual Kei, but maybe I have to give some of these a listen. Japanese music is way more than just VK and cute J-pop, though. Jun Togawa should be crowned the Japanese Queen of this thread. She has a strong rival in Doji Morita, though.

PS: Who cares how they look - probably only gays and women. Just listen to music, do not look at the performers.
PS2: Who's this guy spamming my precious thread with some pics... oh... OOOOOHHHH... nevermind!

For Mr. Minio, what exactly do you mean by "Plebs" in regards to music?

In exchange for an answer, here is another C-ute bikini photo!
(Heck, I just like bikini photos whether they help get an answer or not - and these aren't off-topic since they are an actual musical group! And not one most Plebs know about!)

For Mr. Minio, what exactly do you mean by "Plebs" in regards to music?
Rap listeners etc.

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (1993) -

This album is:
1% samples from kung-fu films (the coolest and best part, hence +0.25 to the final rating)
30% the group members swearin', sayin' some stupid stuff and tryin' to be funny/edgy/gangsta
69% some rapping over very poor beats (2 sec loops, rly?)

One of the worst albums I've heard in my life. Even worse than Nas - Illmatic and it says a lot! I'll give it another +0.25 to the final rating for the sheer fact they had balls to release this. I'd be ashamed.

Hahahahahahah. Straight from the motherfvckin' slums that's busted, Wu Tang Clan ain't nuthin to **** wit'.

Honestly though , I can see how you didn't like it especially if you don't care for Nas, so I would advise you to steer clear of the Mobb Deep's and the Big's L through Pun. Maybe go for some more of the Afrocentric, Avant-garde stuff and see if that stuff floats your boat. Gangstarr uses a lot of jazz samples and the like, stuff like Souls of Mischief and A Tribe Called Quest are some of the progenitors of the genre and a lot of the music is quite minimalist, focusing mainly on rhymes and delivery. Aesop Rock, Eyedea and Abilities, Cannibal Ox and Non Phixion are all a little more cerebral and the beats/music are usually very high quality and demonstrate lots of skill.

That Wu-Tang release is, in my eyes a total gem. But for anyone who doesn't really appreciate the more "street" sort of stuff, this album will not appeal to you, especially with Method Man's skit talking about how he's gonna take someones nuts, put them on a dresser and smash 'em up. Or ODB, because ODB is definitely an acquired taste. Keep in mind Wu-Tang is a loose collective of emcee's so their lyrical themes can vary on any given tracks, each member individually has a decent catalog of solo material. Best of which is GZA - Liquid Swords and Raekwon - Only Built for Cuban Linx. But I wouldn't really recommend either to you, hahaha.

I think I'm done with rap for some time after hearing this CD. I know some of your recommendations, like Cannibal Ox etc., but not all of them, of course. Thanks.

PS: I gave GZA - Liquid Swords
- a little bit on benefit of the doubt, but whatever

If you can't appreciate the artistic merits of 36 chambers, you're letting your hatred of the genre blind you. Just stop talking about rap all together and try to save yourself before you say something really stupid, like... actually, I can't think of anything stupider than saying that 36 Chambers is the worst album you've heard in your life. Your only negatives are just aspects of the genre at large in that time period.

If you can't appreciate the artistic merits of 36 chambers, you're letting your hatred of the genre blind you. Just stop talking about rap all together and try to save yourself before you say something really stupid, like... actually, I can't think of anything stupider than saying that 36 Chambers is the worst album you've heard in your life. Your only negatives are just aspects of the genre at large in that time period.

Or the fact that musically and stylistically speaking it's a filthy record.. the beats, lyrics and whole persona of the album and group were sculpted and crafted by men who knew what they wanted Wu-Tang to be, which was a reflection of what they had going on around them and the stuff they lived every day. This was without a doubt the dirtiest record to come out of New York at that time, and the group features men who by themselves influenced the genre in ways that non fans will never be able to fathom.

On the real though, people that often have a refined taste for music and people who don't have a lifestyle similar to, or one which lets them empathize with the plight these guys feel just will not connect with it. So basically you're hating Mr. Minio because of your own biases, I love the record and didn't find it fitting to attack Minio because of his views because I can appreciate and understand that some folks just cannot connect to this type of music on the level that they need too in order to enjoy it.

If I were to write a review about an Archgoat album, and someone were to say they didn't like it for any reason, I wouldn't be bothered because it's subject matter and music which is really not fit for mass consumption. I see no reason to flip **** because I think it's a classic and you don't. You want consensus for what's good or not in music, go listen to top 40 dude.

Music means different things to different people, different genre's affect people in different ways. Besides, taste in music, films, food, women/men etc are all objective, deal with it.

Or the fact that musically and stylistically speaking it's a filthy record.. the beats, lyrics and whole persona of the album and group were sculpted and crafted by men who knew what they wanted Wu-Tang to be, which was a reflection of what they had going on around them and the stuff they lived every day. This was without a doubt the dirtiest record to come out of New York at that time, and the group features men who by themselves influenced the genre in ways that non fans will never be able to fathom.

On the real though, people that often have a refined taste for music and people who don't have a lifestyle similar to, or one which lets them empathize with the plight these guys feel just will not connect with it. So basically you're hating Mr. Minio because of your own biases, I love the record and didn't find it fitting to attack Minio because of his views because I can appreciate and understand that some folks just cannot connect to this type of music on the level that they need too in order to enjoy it.

If I were to write a review about an Archgoat album, and someone were to say they didn't like it for any reason, I wouldn't be bothered because it's subject matter and music which is really not fit for mass consumption. I see no reason to flip **** because I think it's a classic and you don't. You want consensus for what's good or not in music, go listen to top 40 dude.

Music means different things to different people, different genre's affect people in different ways. Besides, taste in music, films, food, women/men etc are all objective, deal with it.
A Wu-Tang record is the strangest thing to get nothing positive out of, though. They are very deliberate in making sure that everybody has a different voice and personality, especially on this record. Saying that ODB or Method Man is too dirty or thuggish is completely fair, but to dismiss the entire album like that just makes him seem ignorant, because RZA is mostly classy and Raekwon is mostly objective about reality-both of them have almost nothing "filthy" about their parts. It's not just one guy, it's a group of people, most of whom can be described like that but a couple of them are explicitly not.

If you can't appreciate the artistic merits of 36 chambers, you're letting your hatred of the genre blind you.
There is no merit. Even I can loop a 3 sec sample over and over and talk some stuff over it. I can't rap, but whatever.
Just stop talking about rap all together and try to save yourself before you say something really stupid, like...
I like scat play mor than rap. Wait, wut?!
Your only negatives are just aspects of the genre at large in that time period.
This only shows how bad this genre is in general.
Rap listeners are plebs...
This part is enough.
On the real though, people that often have a refined taste for music and people who don't have a lifestyle similar to, or one which lets them empathize with the plight these guys feel just will not connect with it.
In other words people who know something about music and don't live in black ghetto shouldn't like this record. That's about right.
Besides, taste in music, films, food, women/men etc are all objective, deal with it.
If this were true, then rap would've been objectively crap.
Rap is postmodern poetry.
If this is true, it should mark the decline of poetry.

Yeah, this only proves how terrible this forum is for people passionate about music.

Hereby, I grant AboveTheClouds the ultimate prize of max chillax.

N̶i̶g̶g̶a̶s̶ Afroamericans on the Moon: The Powers That B Disc 1

DEATH GRIPS IS A BAND I HEARD ABOUT A LOT ESPECIALLY FROM SWAN WHO I THINK FELL IN LOVE WITH THE VOCALIST OF THIS BAND AND EVER SINCE HIS BIGGEST DREAM WAS TO HEAR "HAVE A SAD CUM BABY" WHEN IN BED IN NOT TOO AMBIGUOUS POSITION. I THOUGHT THAT HELL WHEN I GAVE THEM A LISTEN QUITE SOME TIME AGO THEY WEREN'T THAT TERRIBLE BUT THEN AGAIN CHEAP ELECTRONICS AND A CRAZY MAN SCREAMING GUILLOTIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE IS NOT SOMETHING YOU COULD CALL HIGH ART OR ANYTHING. MY FAVORITE DEATH GRIPS ALBUM SO FAR WAS FASHION WEEK BECAUSE I PREFER CUTE ASIAN GIRLS OVER MARKER-SMUDGED PENISES AND CAT-O-DEER-O-TOMBOYS. BESIDES IT DOESN'T HAVE THIS GUY HOLLERING SOME RUBBISH AND IF IT HAD SOME CUTE JAPANESE GIRL WHISPERING YAMATE I'D PROBABLY HOLD IN IN HIGH ESTEEM. ITS INSTRUMENTAL THO. I SWORE NOT TO LISTEN THEM AGAIN, BUT OF COURSE ALL THE HYPE MADE ME LISTEN TO YET ANOTHER DEATH GRIPS ALBUM, ONE I HAVEN'T YET HEARD. ITS TITLE AFROAMERICANS ON THE MOON: THE POWERS THAT B DISC 1. ITS STILL GREAT ENIGMA TO ME WHY IS IT THE POWERS THAT B AND NOT THE POWERS THAT C OR D AND WHERE THE HELL IS THE SECOND DISC AND IF THERE IS NO SECOND DISC WHY WOULD THEY CALL IT DISC 1. ITS ALMOST AS IF SCORSESE CALLED HIS FILM TAXI DRIVER 1 OR DOSTOYEVSKY CALLED HIS BOOK THE IDIOT 1. AT LEAST THE CD IS 30 MINUTES LONG. LOOKS LIKE THEY UNDERSTOOD AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR 2 HOURS CDS FULL OF CRAP. EVEN IF THE 30 MINUTES ARE CRAP AT LEAST IT'S SHORT CRAP. SO I STARTED THE CD AND SINCE I WAS EXPECTING SOME REALLY GREAT STUFF JUST LIKE SWAN MAKES IT BE I WAS A LITTLE BIT LET DOWN BY THE FIRST SONG. THE SONG IS SO CHEAP AND THIS MAN SCREAMS LIKE THEY WOULD GIVE HIM 10 CENTS FOR EVERY SCREAM HE MAKES and 20 CENTS FOR EVERY "UP MY SLEEVE" HE SAYS. BY THE SECOND SONG I ALREADY WAS FED UP WITH THIS BS. IT'S ALMOST UNLISTENABLE. i MEAN WHO'D LISTEN TO MUSIC LIKE THIS. PROBABLY ONLY SWANS. THAT SECOND SONG HAS SOME POTENTIAL WITH THAT BEAT STARTING AT THE END. JUST ADD CUTE JAPANESE GIRL SINGING TO IT AND YOU HAVE A HIT. JUST LIKE IT IS - WORTHLESS!!! THE THIRD SONG STARTED. AT THIS POINT I COULDN'T HOLD IT ANY LONGER AND WENT TO FACEBOOK AND MESSAGED SWAN. I ASKED WHAT THE HELL IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS UNLISTENABLE. HOWEVER HE HAD TO GO MINUTES BEFORE THAT AND HE DIDNT ANSWER ME. I BET HE LEFT TO CREAM OVER DEATH GRIPS IN HIS OWN PRIVATE DEATH GRIPS SHRINE. I BETTER NOT TELL YOU WHATS ON TOP OF IT. THEN SOME SONGS AND THERES THAT SONG F*CK IT OUT. THEY TRYIN TO BE BAD BOYS SWEARING AND USING PROFANITY BUT BY THAT POINT IM MUCH BADDER BOY SWEARIN AND HOLLERIN AND SMASHIN SOME PIECES OF PAPER PROBABLY WAKIN UP MY NEIGHBOURS THINKIN WHAT KIND OF UTTER SHEET I GOT INTO. THEN THERES THAT SONG VOILA AND THEY TRY TO SWAG ABOUT THEIR FRENCH BUT THIS ONE WORD IS WHERE THEIR LINGUISTICS END AND BEATS ARE INCREDIBLY REPETITIOUS AND CHEAP ALL THROUGHOUT THE CD. THE LAST SONG IS PROBABLY THE BEST BECAUSE YOU KNOW ITS LAST AND YOU DONT HAVE TO LISTEN TO THIS CD ANYMORE. WHATTA LET DOWN NOW IM ANGRY ALL SWEATY AND WHEN I THINK I COULD SPEND THESE 30 MINUTES LISTENING TO J-POP OR DEATH METAL HEADBANGIN THE HELL OUTTA MYSELF IM BECOMING EVEN ANGRIER. SWAN I SWEAR AT SOME POINT IM GONNA MEET YOU AND THEN TEAR YOUR SCREENPLAY APART WHILE SCREAMIN GUILLOTINEEEEE.