Inmate's Snazzily-Titled Film Log

→ in
Tools    

i was hesitant about making one of these, but i decided that if i was going to make one then the start of the year would be the best time so i went ahead and did it.

i've decided that i hate the way i write so for your sakes i will probably just give a rating and maybe one or two sentences for how i felt about it. whenever i try writing full-length reviews on a regular basis i get tired of it really fast so i'm not even going to try.

enjoy

January 1st: Black Christmas

really liked this. maybe it's a little slow, but the suspenseful scenes made up for it. the director managed to make that big sorority house feel really claustrophobic, although i couldn't tell if that was intentional or he just sucks at establishing spatial relations.

Perhaps they are overrated, but I think they draw more people in.

I've only seen the remake of Black Christmas. I watched it only because Mary Elizabeth Winstead was in it, and it was only an average movie. Mary's death was especially disappointing, not because she died, but because her death wasn't well done.

Sounds like the original was much better.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
i was hesitant about making one of these, but i decided that if i was going to make one then the start of the year would be the best time so i went ahead and did it.

i've decided that i hate the way i write so for your sakes i will probably just give a rating and maybe one or two sentences for how i felt about it. whenever i try writing full-length reviews on a regular basis i get tired of it really fast so i'm not even going to try.

enjoy

I only write a few sentences in my ratings too, that's why I usually call them "ratings", and not "reviews".

January 1st, Part 2: Flesh

really intimate and honest portrayal of a male prostitute with a somewhat exciting experimental feel to it, thanks to the loud cuts. it drags in places, but overall i liked it and i'm really fascinated by underground cinema like this.

-

Sweet, but you forgot to give it a snazzy title.

Edit: How about, A Psychotic Log Chart for a Frightened Inmate.
snazzy titles are overrated
Psh, don't fool yourself. This is actually a totally snazzy title. In fact, it's the snazziest title of them all.

I watched Black Christmas in preparation for the 70's thread; what a great horror movie! I still can't believe it took me so long to see it.

Never heard of Flesh, sounds interesting.

Perhaps they are overrated, but I think they draw more people in.

I've only seen the remake of Black Christmas. I watched it only because Mary Elizabeth Winstead was in it, and it was only an average movie. Mary's death was especially disappointing, not because she died, but because her death wasn't well done.

Sounds like the original was much better.
You really should see the original. I've seen the remake and it's average, as you said. The original is not. It's a classic slasher.

Have you seen Trash, FI? That's the other one that often gets seen/mentioned with Flesh. If you like them, maybe try Chelsea Girls, Blood For Dracula or Heat, all by Paul Morrissey.

I've seen Heat. Everything else you said was in Greek or something.

I'll have to add Black Christmas to my list...

((P.S. Great new title btw. Swag.))

January 2nd: Annie

i actually kind of liked this. i could probably find a lot to hate about it if i wanted to, but i dunno, i thought it was pretty cute and the relationship between annie and stacks was genuinely touching. cameron diaz was pretty bad, but foxx steals every scene he's in and wallis was good too.

+

Have you seen Trash, FI? That's the other one that often gets seen/mentioned with Flesh. If you like them, maybe try Chelsea Girls, Blood For Dracula or Heat, all by Paul Morrissey.
I haven't seen any of those, but I plan on downloading Trash soon. He's definitely an intriguing filmmaker at the very least.

January 2nd, Part 2: While the City Sleeps

pretty good movie. don't really have much else to say about it, except that while i liked it, i'm surprised i didn't like it more because it has everything that i look for in a noir and then some. oh well. M is the only other Lang film i've seen, but i own Scarlet Street and Minstry of Fear.

+

January 3rd, Parts 1 and 2: Die Hard 2

nowhere near as good as the first, but it was still decent fun. part of what made the first so much fun was how simple and stripped back it was. just willis taking out some bad guys with a few minor distractions. this occasionally captured that feel, but there was too much going on i guess. both of these movies are filled with dumb ****, but i guess i was more willing to overlook it in the first movie because it was such a fantastic experience. still liked it, and i'll take willis over arnold or stallone any day.

-

Emperor of the North

good movie.

January 4, Parts 1 and 2: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

there was so much stupid stuff in this that made me roll my eyes... but the former 13-year-old LOTR fanboy inside me thought those battle scenes were really cool, and i just don't feel right nitpicking this movie that i would've adored ten years ago, so i'll just settle for "i really enjoyed it." the romance between the dwarf and the elf was just the dumbest ****ing **** though.

The Maltese Falcon

one of the noir-est noirs i've seen. huston's direction is kinda dull, but his script more than makes up for it and bogie is great.

January 8th: Boys Don't Cry

this was pretty good. i'm usually skeptical of movies that use such polarized senses of good and bad to promote a clear political agenda like this (i happen to completely agree with this agenda, but that's irrelevant), but this was pretty powerful. none of the charcters are very complex at all, but the performances, particularly swank and sevigny, do a lot to elevate this.

-