Mr Minio's Top 185 Films aka I bet you haven't seen it!

→ in
Tools    

Did anyone not cry during Hachi?

Really looking forward to following this thread. I'm in the process of further expanding my movie watching horizons so this will give me lots to watch.

Mr. Minio makes the rules in this thread. If he wants to lump together the Twilight Saga, he can do it. If he wants to put the Michael Bay discography as a single entry, it's his prerogative. This is a Mr. Minio world, you all are just living in it.
Absolutely. I was simply voicing out my objection.

I'm expecting to have heard of about one film per set.
Really? You're more optimistic than I am.

Platoon 7/10
Se7en 8.5/10
Life of Others 8.5/10
A Separation 8.5/10
Lawrence of Arabia 7/10

Se7en is the one I'd rewatch, but A Separation is the best amongst them in my opinion

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
160. James Bond Franchise

Where's your God now, gandalf26?

159. In a Lonely Place

I think I liked it more than the other Ray film I've seen.

158. Wenecja

Ex aequo with Jańcio Wodnik.

157. Vedreba

Poetic image about a Georgian poet.

156. Przesłuchanie

Very powerful film and my favourite Janda performance.

155. The Dante Quartet

Yay for the flickering colours!

154. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days

An ascetic view on the problem of abortion.

153. Inglorious Basterds

Post-modernist Nazi farce. "
Bon jorno. "

152. Star Wars

Best space opera ever.

151. Vertigo

Hitchcock is 151. on my list? Good place to me.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Star Wars and Vertigo are classics I love.

My wife wasn't liking Inglourious Basterds so I shut it off-need to get to it again.

Bond is a strange franchise for me; I always look forward to the movies, but then I'm always a little bored and disappointed.

Vertigo, Inglourious Basterds and In A Lonely Place are all
films for me. Star Wars is great too, and I love the James Bond franchise, good stuff.

By the way where do you watch all these foreign films, do you deliberately seek them out as an art house fan or are they shown on local tv/cinemas?

I wish they were showing such films. I mean, they do in certain independent cinemas in big cities, but living in a small town I'm done. There's a TV station called TVP Kultura, which shows some arthouse flicks, but I mostly seek these films myself in order to develop my tastes and hobby.

I'd have added a lot more, all the way to 100 today, but I've got serious Internet issues, so I can't do it.

150. Lost in Translation

Loneliness in a big city. Beautiful cinematography and My Bloody Valentine in soundtrack. I'm sold!

149. Cemetery without Crosses

Spaghetti western from France with cool ending.

148. Found Memories

Brazilian film, which tells a story very slowly using cinematography, dialogs and masterful music.

147. The Ascent

Really grim Soviet film from Larisa Shpepitko, the wife of Elem Klimov.

146. Fear Eats the Soul

Atypical couple struggles to be together despite the malevolence of society.

145. Sleeping Beauty

"
Rise up and walk, none of your bones are broken."

144. Farewell My Concubine

It's a trap! See? That's why Communists didn't want them to perform. No, I'm just kidding.

143. Before Sunrise

"
If there's any kind of magic in this world... it must be in the attempt of understanding someone, sharing something. I know it's almost impossible to succeed... but who cares, really? The answer must be in the attempt."

142. Belle de jour

She forgot her lipstick. Oh what a tragedy!

141. Judgment at Nuremberg

Watch Polish movie Epilog Norymberski too as well. It's just as good as this one.

140. Szerelem

Love can survive everything. Is it true?

La vie nouvelle

Very rarely so minimalistic film is so disturbing and dark.

138. Teorema

No matter whether you hated or loved (you're sick!) Passolini's Salo, give this one a try anyway. It's much better and not as disturbing.

137. Funeral Parade of Roses

Hands on the table! It's a trap! What a fun ride through Japanese quirkiness, though.

136. Titus

Romans driving cars and listening to jazz music? Awesome!

135. The House is Black

Debut and already such a film? Masterful! Some directors try their whole life to do something as good and fail miserably!

134. Lady Snowblood

Forget Kill Bill. This is the real deal!

133. Le Trou

If you don't watch this movie before all the sand is at the bottom, the guy will kill you. I mean it!

132. The Second Circle

Russian Ark is technically more impressing (shot in one take!!!) and visually stunning, but this movie is bleakier and sadder, so I prefer it more.

131. Niewinni czarodzieje

Forget Kanał and Popiół i Diament. This is my favourite Wajda movie!

130. Heroic Purgatory

If you've seen this movie you're awesome! It's visually breathtaking and thematically quirky and undefined. Just as I like it.

129. Hausu

It's so visually striking it feels like somebody makes a blowjob to your eyes! (see the picture)

128. Sunset Blvd.

She saw the film in only 128.

127. Code Blue

The movie portrays a great loneliness and desire to end it, even if it's risky and wrong.

126. Drive

It's oozing with style. Synthpop and badassity never get old.

125. Django

Possibly the most badass character ever. Compared to him Fox is but a whiny brat.

124. Valerie and Her Week of Wonders

Period problems with vampires and stuff! I wonder why is it so low on my own list.

123. Rome, Open City

My favourite neo-realism movie so far. Very realistic, obviously.

122. Le samurai

"
I never lose. Never really. "

121. Cria cuervos

¿ Por qué te vas ?

I have seen Lost In Translation which is pretty good although I don't love it as much as some, Drive and Sunset Boulevard which are great fims, and The House Is Black which is no doubt a great achievement but I don't really think of it as a 'entertaining film' but a serious commentary on a human issue, and I found it quite difficult to watch.

Let the night air cool you off
Some great films there...and some that I can't even find on IMDb because you refuse to gives us their years. Which Sleeping Beauty is that?

EDIT: nevermind, I see it's the new-ish one.

Lots of good stuff, but I'd like to second The House is Black, stunning documentary

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've only seen 39 (60%) and I couldn't find every one on IMDb. What a bunch of non-mainstream crap I'll have to watch now.
Some great films there...and some that I can't even find on IMDb because you refuse to gives us their years. Which Sleeping Beauty is that?
This Sleeping Beauty.