Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

El incidente (2014, Isaac Ezban)

Another low-budget sci-fi mindbender involving the concept of infinite loops, kinda like Nacho Vigalondo's Timecrimes but not quite as good imo. Definitely warrants multiple viewings to get it sorted in your head. I thought some aspects of it were pretty good, others not so much. What stood out to me the most was how effective this movie was in plunging the viewer into the creepy ugliness and misery and grotesqueness of being caught in a trap like that, compared to other similar films I've seen - some of the imagery was palpably uncomfortable on a subliminal level. On the downside, I didn't like the "explanation" sequence all that much - I mean I understand the intent but I wish it was done in a less obvious, blunt manner, plus it just flashed by at lightning speed without letting the viewer catch his breath for a second and absorb all the craziness being hurled his way. Overall, pretty decent, kudos for the concept and the effort, even though I didn't really fully grasp it. Definitely worth a watch if these type of flicks are up your alley.

Once Upon A Time In The West (1968)

I think a remake would actually do this movie alot of good if it was reworked a bit.
Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid - 1969

It's a great flick but again I feel like it could be improve upon with the right people remaking it.

Movie Forums Extra

Bombshell. 2019

While I knew going in that it had mediocre reviews, it was truly an awful mess. Incredible actors, with a relevant subject matter about the me too movement - And spin it with a twist, which is that it's setting is Fox news. The problem is that one of main characters is made up (Margot Robbie) and somehow such an important and complex subject matter gets boiled down to a surface level story.

2/5

Movie Forums Extra
Moulin rouge 7/10

Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn (2020)

A somewhat lame and boring film that really tries to be hectic and fun, but rarely pulls it off. Harley is the only decent character in the film while all the birds are nothing more than dull cliches. Action isn't that good either. Is this really how women want their action films? Is the fact that all the protagonists are women the only thing that matters? I don't get it. Not a horrible movie but not that far above either.

My House in Umbria (2003)

This is an absorbing drama/character study set in Italy starring the incomparable Maggie Smith. I'm not sure why, but the Brits do this type of film better than anybody.

Also starring Chris Cooper, Timothy Spall, and the then 11 year old Emmy Clarke, it's directed by Richard Loncraine on a teleplay by Hugh Whitmore based upon a novel by William Trevor.

Miss Delahunty (Smith) is a published romance novelist who lives her life similar to the romantic heroines she features in her books. She has purchased a lovely estate used as a pensione, set on beautiful grounds in Umbria, Italy. While on a shopping trip by train she is injured by a terrorists bomb, along with several other passengers in her car. Several are killed, and 3 require a place to convalesce from their injuries, so Miss Delahunty offers to have them roomed and boarded at her estate.

She develops a special motherly fondness for the young girl, and wants to have her stay on during her adolescence. The girl's uncle (Cooper) is presumed upon to take her back to America; the elderly passenger contemplates staying on; and the younger patient is suspected of being involved in the terrorist plot. There is plenty of interaction between the players, and the narrative skips along nicely leading to a gratifying ending.

Miss Smith is at the top of her talents in this film, winning a prime time Emmy, and a Golden Globe nomination. She has complete mastery of subtle nuances in her expressions, mannerisms, and voice. Cooper is always a favorite, but here he plays the thankless role of an emotionally distant uncle and confidant. Spall, as Delahunty's helper, confidant and rescuer from the past, turns in one of his patented near-perfect performances.

This is an HBO production, but it's a well done circumspect one, before they moved into more carnal and libertine subject matter. If you've missed this one, it would be worth your while to search it out.

Doc's rating: 9/10

Interesting. I didn't see the dialog being a problem with this one at all. I found it emotionally exhausting, so I wouldn't watch it again, but

WARNING: "Ț̴͎̞̻̅̑́̽̑̓̓̇̍̎̐̇̆̅͑͗̅͗̌̌́̓́̇̆̂̄͠͠ͅh̸̨̛̞̱͎̗͔͉̭̪̐̀̏͛̈́̄͌͂̈́̇͂͛̎̔͘̚͝͝ę̶̢̦̯͙̦͓͔͈͖̦̫͆̔͋͒̆̎̑̀͒̂̊̌͆̊̉̐̉͆͋̓́̇̈̂̓͌̈́͘͠ ̷̯̤̼̻́̈́̀̈́̔ͅç̴̲̱̮̩̬̞̙̤̼̘̺̮̘͓̈͛͊̃͐́̾̿̈́ͅr̴̛̥͑̊̈́̓͛̂͐̀̾͐̔̇̋̿̎̈́̚ͅo̸͇͇̤͉̘̬͇̮̿̐̓̿̆̏̒́̄̄̅͌̈́͘̚͝s̶̡̢̪̦͖̞̼͙͉̩̪̭̺̝͍̝̼̺̬͚̮̼͕̖̙̳̻͈̑͒̀̑͊͊̅̋̓̈́̅̉͌̔̔̚͘͝͝š̶̛͇̣͔͖̪̙̩̿̀̈̑̌̀̈́̀̀͘̚i̸̲͙̹̞̝̖̔̆̎̒̏̾̒̔̓̽͛̎̚͝n̸̨̡̨̙͍͍͔̫͓̱̪͖̩̲͓͖͖̻͉͉̘̱̹̔̉̈́̽́̈́̔̒̂͗̽͆͑͒͋̒͊͋̅͌̌̒̄͗̔͘̚͝͠ͅg̴̡̛̛̞̺̠̪̠̥͓̐̿̅̽̓̾́ ̸̧̨̢̡̛͈͚͓͇͕̣͍̻̩̮̻̱̦͉͕̗͒̀́̊̽̌́̓̀͊̒̽͆͂̏͆͗̽͌̒̍̂͆̅̅̒͜͝ͅͅg̴̨̨̛̰̟̺̼͙͙̲̤̭͔̞̥͍̜̈́̈́̌ͅų̵̡̧̡͕͕̘̰̥̯̆̕ǎ̴̢̛̛̘̯̜̝͔̤̩͈͔͇͎̟̋̆̉̃̌̔͛̓̅̒̄̆͆͌̊̉̉̎̑̆͐̈́͝͝r̷̛͉̳̗͈̄̇̐͛̔͑̇̈̂͗̆̿̑̒̒̈́̅̌̉̅͋̎͘d̸̤͓͎̰̈́̎́̿ͅ ̷̢̧̨̗͖̫͓̬͚̼̠̰̮̥̺̘̖͇̩̬̩̗̦̫̘̜͇̈́̈̓̑͗̐̋͂̉̾͛̇̊̂͑͌̍̾́̽̅̈́͌̈͘̕͜͝͝s̵̗͔̈͑̈́̀̉̓̿̈͊͒͛́̆̉̋̅̋͊͗̑̉̋͗͒̑̕̚͝p̸̘̙͎̝̼̖͖̘̹̭͇̞̭̞̞͍̩͔̟̘̺̦̲̫̖̱̪̳͛͋̏́̋̈͆̅̀̆̄͒̒̀̀̔̀̑͐̌͒̎͝͝͝ŏ̸̪̊͐͂̀̂̔̿̌͛̿͋̋͠͠ì̸̧̥͔͈̻̝͔̯̭͙͈̮̼͛͒̊̉̊̿̐̕͠͠ͅl̴̡̺͕̮̪̬̱͎̭̬̫̦̱͖̈́͋̒̒͛͒̏͆́͛́͗͒̇̑̑͗͛́̿́̿̍͜ͅḛ̸̲̞͎͖͕́̄̐̓͋̏͊͌̀̄̔̍̓͝r̷͔͌̀́̏̀̓͑̈̉̕,̶̢̻̺̠̘̱͇̞͙̣͎͈̜̤́͊̄́͑̋ ̷̧̡̛̦̟͚̜̟͉̩̥̪̙̬̠̺̯͎̣̖̞̙́̀̈́̉̀̾͆̄̓̏̐̄͘̚͝ş̶̢̛̛͕͚͈̟̣͉͒̆̈̀͆̃̂͐̈̀̊͂̋̍̂́̒̆̅̚͠ǫ̷̛̞̪̞̦̼̤̭̬͉̈́̾͑͌̒̉̄̾̇̄̊̎̓͂̕͝ ̷̡̼͉̳͉̳̘̳͕̗̼̹̫̖̘̱͇̖̠̲̯̞̝̰͗̈́̽́̋͗̈͑̔̂̄̐̑̀̌͐̒̆́̉͂͒͝͝d̶̡̲͎͖͇͔̠̤͈̋̏͂̿̔̽̽͛̒̃̈́͐͆̈́̈́͝͝͝ô̴̟̬͉͋n̷̢̢̧̢̯̬͔̺̠̲̖͎͚͕͖̗͙̠̟̺͚̮͇͂̈̀͊̓̿͗̅̉̅͐̈́̓́̚͘͘͝͝͝ͅ'̸̨̧̡̛̜͉̯̻̫̳͓̰̥̥̹̱̞̫͂̈́̾̑̂̐́͐̈́̊͒̽́̒͂́͑̿̄̑̊̿̑͒̚͜͝͝t̷̤͊̍̌͗́̇̍̀̈́͗̽̉̏̌́͂́̀̊́̚̚͠͝ ̴̡̧̨̧̨̟̘͎͇̳̦̫̻̉̃͆̿̍͂́͋͑̍̐̀͘͝ͅc̵̢͔̭͕̟̩̹̜͙̤͙̩̫̻͙̫̜̰͐̾̃̈́͛̈̽̂͑̀̇̽̀͂̃̆̿̓̇́͋̌̀̅̕̕͜ͅļ̶̛̠̗̝̰̼̣̤̩͖̫̤̭̽̅̄͊̈́́̎̌̊̑̂͗̏͌̋̐̀͛͆͘̚͝͠i̶̢̙͈̝̤̬̯̤̱̗̇̽̂͝͝ç̷̛̹̱͓̘͓͚̫͈̖̞͖͙͕̝̥̪̙̼̦͖̟̺̳̀́̂̈́͛̈́̑̈͒̒́͂͆͘͠͝͠ͅͅķ̵̢̛̥͔̤͇̬̥̻̮̘̞̱̻͉͍̳̘̘͉̙̺̞̽̅́̌͆́̅͋̓̾̏͋̔̌͝͠ ̵̛̙̯͎̂͗̾̅́̒̀̅̓̐̀̔͋͂̈́̇̾̏̿̇̂̅̈͘̚̕h̸̠̠̗̦͖̞̯̥̻̲͇͍̊̋̉̂́̓̀̒̀̓͌̿̉̐̀̄ě̸̖͔͊͊r̸̛̪̼͓̙͙͕̈́̒̔̈́̈́̋͗͗̾͗͝e̵̡̥̹̲̠͚̖͕̟͐͒̂́̈́͂̂͠͠͠,̷̦̘͖͚̞͇͍̙̰̼̲̳̗͔̜̓͊̓͋̏̉́͛͊͒̿͒͘͝͝͠͝͠ ̶̢̢̜̲͚̤̭͎̳̪̖̼͌͛̅̿̆̊͊͗̕̚ͅ'̵̛̙̦̺̘͖̩̜̣͈͐̀̈́͒̌͐̽̔̃̎̉̊̋̔͒̈́̓̒̂͒̕̕͠c̸̡̧̡͚̲͖͙̗͖̬̰̲̖̩͈̬̪̻̺͎̙̥̩͓̩͎͓̉̏̎á̷̛͓̅̌̄̈́̇̂̊̑̅̈́͊̎͋̑̈́͊̈̇͋͆̋͗͌́ù̴̥̯̣̱͚̫͂̆͜͝ṡ̵̨̡̲̺͓͉̞̐̽̑̅͐ĕ̴̻͓͎͈̲͂̔̀̿͊͊̀ ̷̛͓̔̇̈́̐̽̋̅̀͆̂̓̃̾̊̇̎̋̋̈̍͠͠͝t̴̢̧̡̡̯͔͙̥̲͇̱̜͕̼͙̞̰̮͓̱̦͎̱̬̦͈̰͎͕̓̔͐͊̅̓́͗͒̾̃̀̎̀̿ḥ̶̨̢̬̟̼̩͖̞̫̠̻͎̖͔̇͑̽̏̈́̏͊ͅͅa̸͔̲̳̻̥͕̳͍̻̺̠̻͌̏̅̈̄̀̀͛̀̌̀̂͊̆̕̕t̵̨̜̗̪̗̭̰͋̀̐̽̿̄̅͛̃̈́̾̿͂͒͊̅̅͘̕̚̚'̵̧̼͉̞̪̪͔̺̩̤͕̙̻͉̰̠͉͚̲͖̍͒͋́̆̐͊͌̈́͛́̅͋̐̿͆̓̒͐̇͆̾̽̔̑̔s̴̱̝̝̻̱̻̪͎̞̍̊̽͐̋̑͂̽̑̏̏̇͒̍̋͒͑̚̕̕ ̶̧̡̨̡̛̹̤͔̰̹͙̹̹͕̟̟̹̩̦̺͉̏̄̅̓́͌͘͜͝ͅw̷̢̨̛͍͎̝̙̣̝͖͉͙̮͔͚̯̩̬͚͈̻͇̦̯̪̝̐̃̇̋̊̍͑̀̈́͌́̍̈h̶̡̨̝̣̞̞̹̳̭͙̗͍̟̦̫͇̙͓̜̼̠̣̠̻̏͂͒͗͋̉͜͠ͅå̶̢̓̈́̽͊̎͑̿͆̽͠͝t̸̠̥͓͇͂̓͒͐̃̓͛̇̕̕͘͜͠ ̴̧̨̢̭̞̰̳̞͖̮̼̠̖͔̮͙̥̖̞̪̝̘͙̂͜ͅͅį̵̣̺͍̗̬͓͕̳̣̠͈̭̲̞̪̙̐͒͊̑͘t̵̮̼͚̳͈͖̱̣͓̠̐͛͌͑̉͌͠ ̵̢̨̨͖͍̝͔̼͕̙̞̙̻̻͈͓͍͖̞̻͔̰̾͆̔̊̔̽̒̇́͛͛̉̾̋͗̕͜͝m̷̧̡͔̺̪͈̩̫̣̙͇̹̟̗̙̝͍̞͓̲̘̺͎̻̂̈́̒̅̽̇ͅͅe̴͈̱͚̬̹̐̑̐̆̆͐̑̾̆͘͝à̷̖̬̦̲̥͕͂̄̈́̉̈̎̊́̆͗͜͜n̵͓̱̰̲̳͉̮̊̀̂͝ͅs̷̨̧̨̳̰̫͉̘̬͍͎̲̳̰̼͆͑͗̊̍̑̽̀̍̀̾̚͘͝ ̵̢̧̗̥̜͇͙̑͋̽̓͆͑̑͗̅́̕͜͝ͅͅẃ̵̡̢̛̹̺̹̝̰̝͍̩͉͙̩̐̈́͋͗̽͌͆̀̀̓̚͝͝͠͠h̵͙̜̫̳̣͍͓̲̊̒͆̂̽̀̐̐̌̌é̵͉̲̹̤̼͖́͂̎̃͂̋̂̈́̈̕͠͠͝n̸̛̼̮̺̪̗͙̤̩̈́̋̾̓̉̀͑ͅ ̶̧̖̜͙̭͈͎̝̩̞̱͖̗̺̟̙̰̣̲̭̝̗̤̣̫̻͇͐͜ş̸̧̨̢̡̛̦̪͍̳͓̺̬͕̻̫͇͙͓̝̳̤̤͓̻̙̾̑͌͋̋̋͗̐͗̾̀̊͗͘̕̕͘͜͠͝͝ǫ̴̙̼͍̫̖̣̖̥͓̺̱͖̘̜̣̘̪̥̼̳̰̫͍̺̺͆̾́͝m̸̢̨̧̢͍̜̺̫̥̣̲̩͍͊͌̈́̆̀͗̌̀̽̈̋͒̊̑̀̕ͅē̶̛͔̜̫̬̣͍̜̦̗̻̗̥͇̝͓̤̟̟̭̮̆̇̽̀̅̑̈́͋̓͐̾̂͌́̿́̕͜͜͝ͅt̸̢̨̘̠̦͙͓̫̠̳̳̣̺̥̖̥̹͚̰̜̥̣͚̲̩̦̒̏͜ḫ̴̨̧̛̫̗̭̙̪̝͉̣̠̟͎̘͎͚̣͕̽̏́́̆̂̋̂͗̿́͑͌͠͠į̸̛̞͍̥͎̯̫̙̖͙͓̺̩͖̖̭̝̞͖̙̝͇̆͂̊̿̋̊͆̎̌̀͘͘͝n̶̢̢̡͉͚̘͙͓̞̰͇͍͇̝̺̺̞͛͌̒̌̇̇̇͋̾͊̈́͑̾̋̈́͒̀͗̉̇̐̓ģ̸̢̬̮̞̠͚̪̹̘̭̝̣̻̭͇͈͕̽̒̃͂̈́̀̏̓͋̑͐̏͒͆͂͌̀̎͝͝͝͝ ̵̡̢̗̺̠̗̥͉̖͙͂͛̏̊͗̈́̄̇̑̈́̈́̑̿̍̓̍̏͗͑̒̔̚̚͝͝͝͠s̴̛͓̈́͆̀̋͐̽́̉̌̚͝ả̸̢͚̤̩̱͙͙̫̝͎̩̩͙͇̺̣͇̞͕̙̅̅͆͑̑̾̈́̿̾̆̓̀͗̎͑͑͂̚ý̶̧̧̡̡͎̮͉͔͇̲͎̱͈̦̿͌̒͒̇̿̿͛̿͛̄̏͋̀̑͘͘͠s̴̨̢̼̳̮̥̱͙̎̍̏͋̀͊̚" spoilers below
I do think back to that final scene at the grave often. What a perfect ending.

Interesting Posting style! Yeah, I thought the dialogue went from the profound to the melodramatic too quickly. The conversation between Frank and his wife in the diner a perfect example.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Watched MI 4, 5 and 6 yesterday and it looks like the found the balance the previous installements were missing!

Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol (2011)

Some very solid action sequences. It bothered me that so many of those gadgets were failing. I get the point but I think it was overdone. Cruise also seemed a bit tired in some scenes and the age seems like it is catching up to him on this one.

Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation (2015)

Rebecca Ferguson is a great addition to the cast, and the chemistry between the entire IMF team just grows from film to film. The opera scene is extremely well made and the motorbike speed chase is one of the most amazing action sequences in the whole series.

Mission: Impossible Fallout (2018)

Easily the best of the 6 films. It's notorious in all of them, but Cruise's dedication to his craft is beyond impressive! The last act is breathtaking and masterfully done!

Interesting Posting style! Yeah, I thought the dialogue went from the profound to the melodramatic too quickly. The conversation between Frank and his wife in the diner a perfect example.
Meant Freddy apologies.

Re-watch (for the umpteenth time) of a movie classic. Thirty years old, but not dated in the least.

Il portiere di notte (1974)
aka The Night Porter

For being advertised as the most controversial movie of its time, it was certainly disappointingly tame. It's still obviously a film that'll raise some eyebrows today, but that's just due to the topic (a relationship between a former concentration camp prisoner and one of the Nazis who ran the place). The film starts promising but once the leads get together it loses a lot of its steam. The whole side plot of the former Nazis trying to erase the evidence of their crimes derailed what could have been an interesting sexual character study. Annoyingly average.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Sunshine (2007)

I had such high expectations for this. The premise is very interesting and having Cillian Murphy and Chris Evans on the cast just made everything more promising.
Sadly, the movie pretty dies at the premise. It's always annoying when a Sci-Fi just comes up with a crazy concept and uses that as an excuse to do everything. It's just lazy. And I hate it when films try to pass themselves as scientifically informed and have things like sound in space. Besides, the whole tension and serious of events and misfortunes, happens for a ridiculous reason, that I can't take seriously.
Apart from that, it looks shallow and pretty boring.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Gaby Baby Doll (Sophie Letourneur, 2014)
+ 5/10
Colewell (Tom Quinn, 2019)
5.5/10
The Gender Card Flip AKA Second Nature (Michael Cross, 2016)
+ 5/10
The Invisible Man (Leigh Whannell, 2020)
- 7/10

Not too good to have somebody invisible breathing over your shoulder - maybe even moreso now.
Future '38 (Jamie Greenberg, 2017)
.6/10
Hurley (Derek Dodge, 2019)
6.5/10
Summer Night (Joseph Cross, 2019)
+ 5/10
Jane Fonda in Five Acts (Susan Lacy, 2018)
7/10

In at least five acts, Jane.
All These Small Moments Melissa B. Miller,,2018)
5.5/10
Birth of the Beatles (Richard Marquand, 1979)
6.5/10
Hearts of Fire (Richard Marquand, 1987)
5/10
Eye of the Needle (Richard Marquand, 1981)
+ 7.5/10

WWII spy thriller with the needle and the two eyes of Donald Sutherland.
The Final Storm (Uwe Boll, 2010)
5/10
Whale Music (Richard J. Lewis 1994)
+ 6/10
The Daughters of Fire (Albertina Carri, 2018)
5/10
Strange Shadows in an Empty Room (Alberto De Martino [Martin Herbert], 1976)
+ 6/10

Ottawa detective Stuart Whitman seems to enjoy throwing transvestites around in search of his sister's murderer.
Margaret Atwood: A Word after a Word after a Word is Power (Nancy Lang & Peter Raymont, 2019)
7/10
Upside Down (Juan Solanase, 2010)
6/10
Texas Death Trippin' (Robbie Lopez, 2019)
4/10 Texas Trash Rating 6/10
Rampage (Uwe Boll, 2009)
6/10

Young mechanic Brendan Fletcher snaps and takes out the citizens of his town in a Kevlar-armored suit.

Believe it or not but this is not a good film. It's one of the worst dubbed films ever which is actually one of the more endearing aspects of it. 95% of this movie is about a Manson like cult led by a guy named, get this, Satan. Why not? So Satan and his girl cult kill people and have sex and that's where most of the entertainment comes from. The kills look terrible, the sex is boring and everybody who is being killed (or doin' it huh-huh-huh-huh) sounds like Randy Marsh getting killed in WoW. Unfortunately, they put other "plot stuff" in which drags it down. Then in the final 10 minutes we find out *SPOILERS* that the entire thing was a movie in a movie. Everything we just watched was fake but....what's about to happen next is real. To quote Gertie in E.T. - "Gimme a break!" As the crew is wrapping up they decide to kill a girl "snuff" style. This is about a 5 minute scene and it looks a lot like Blood Feast was a major inspiration. There are a few giggles at the terrible dialogue, some LOL moments (like the girl snortin' some kind of drug through a straw and it sounds like she's at the end of her milkshake) but not enough to recommend.

The Invisible Man

Somehow I knew from the poster the whole of this film was going to be one of those set in bland and beige rooms.. and it was.. even the invisible guy himself was bland... beige.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Movie Forums Extra
The last Star Wars movie ending was somewhat disappointing and kinda predictable. Am I the only one?