Ahwell's Lists and Projects

→ in
Tools    

#7 South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut vs. #10 Frozen

1. Originality

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
This whole movie is bizarre and original. Whether it's three young kids swearing as much as in a Quentin Tarantino movie or the gay relationship between Satan and Sadam Hussein, there are so many odd and original things about this film. The songs also add an absurd touch.

2. Script/Screenplay

This movie has some hilarious lines, and the screenplay is bursting with wit and humor. The scenes between Satan and Sadam are Gold, and while the fart jokes and f-bombs get tiresome much of the movie is just a blast.

3. Animation

Frozen
By Frozen, Disney had finally gotten their rhythm going for good CGI animation, and no movie shows it better than Frozen. There are so many beautiful colors and tone schemes in this film, and all the characters are crafted excellently. It is just a joy visually.

4. Characters

Frozen
Elsa and Olaf are annoying, but I love the rest of the characters. Anna is great as our main protagonist. She has a cheerful and bubbly way of living life that is always fun. Hans is great - if predictable - as the villain, and Kristoff and Svenn are a great pair as well.

5. Music/Sound

Frozen
There are actually some great songs in South Park, but Frozen is clearly better. With classics like "Let it Go" and "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" Frozen has earned it's iconic status in terms of Disney pop songs. Although many of these songs were overplayed and hyped to the point of becoming a joke, that doesn't lower the quality. The music is still very good.

6. Themes/Values

This dark satire does have some important things to say. Along with being an interesting study on freedom of speech, it has criticisms of the United States and their relationships layered in its surfaces. If only it wasn't so deep beneath those stupid profanity jokes.

7. Structure/Pacing

Frozen
Both of these movie have a somewhat flawed structure, but Frozen is still better paced. Frozen takes time to set up Anna and Kristoff's relationships, and this pays off hugely in the end. But the climax in the frozen lake is also a gem.

Frozen - 4
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut - 3

Winner: #10 Frozen

#8 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs vs. #9 Rango

1. Originality

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
This one isn't quite fair. Rango is brilliantly original, and takes delight in new and fresh characters and themes for the animation genre... Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is possibly the most influential animated movie ever made, considered the first for a long time (before The Adventures of Prince Achmed was really discovered), and is the first Disney movie ever. The plot isn't very original, but the animation and the actual means of this movie are enough to give it a win over Rango.

2. Script/Screenplay

Rango
Rango is basically a love letter to Westerns, and nothing proves this as much as the script. There are hilarious lines from Rango and an overall natural vibe between all the characters, whether it is the Mayor, Rattlesnake Jake, or Beans. Truly a flashy and entertaining script.

3. Animation

Another one that isn't fair. Snow White has some of the most creative and beautiful animation out there, almost too good to be true. Rango of course has really solid and amazing animation, but it isn't to the level of beauty that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is.

4. Characters

Rango
In Rango all the characters pop out of the screen at you, all of them just letting off a personal character type that defines them. Rango of course if iconic, as is Beans. Rango's character development also is very well done.

5. Music/Sound

Snow White has some of the best music in any Disney movie in my opinion. It is sweet, charming, and beautiful, with great melodies aplenty. This movie also features some of the most iconic Disney songs ever, just ingrained in your head from childhood.

6. Themes/Values

The themes of Rango are sometimes suprisingly cryptic. It is about being a hero, but what else? Snow White has deceivingly simple themes, but one when delves into them you can find such ideas as the destruction of jealousy and the difference between good and evil. Those sly dogs, Disney.

7. Structure/Pacing

Rango
Rango's character development is a little edgy at first, and then sprouts into a magnificent tale of the "Wild" West. The structure and pacing are pitch perfect, and I love every minute of it.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - 4
Rango - 3

Winner: #8 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

This is one of the few that I'm edging it out for a film based on historical importance.

#1 Wall-E vs. #16 Despicable Me

1. Originality

Wall-E
Wall-E is one of the most original Pixar movies ever, and that says a heck of a lot. The story of a robot with a soul bringing humanity back to... humans, is a totally heartwarming tale that moves me every time I see it. Everything about it is fresh and new.

2. Script/Screenplay

Despicable Me
Script was never what Wall-E was about, which is why I'm giving it to Despicable Me. The screenplay of this movie isn't incredible, but it's often very funny and the dialogue with Gru and the three girls is priceless.

3. Animation

Wall-E
The way Wall-E is animated alone is enough for me to give it to this movie, but everything is spectacular. This is one of the best animated Pixar movies, right alongside Stanton's other masterpiece Finding Nemo. Everything is breathtakingly real and detailed.

4. Characters

Wall-E
Wall-E himself as a character is so fun, so creative, so curious, just so lovable. EVE is great as the smart and advanced robot, and all the human characters are fun too. All of this plus the great villain Auto make for some fantastic characters.

5. Music/Sound

Wall-E
I'm not crazy about Thomas Newman, but his work in Wall-E was exceptional. The usage of Hello Dolly, especially in the beginning, is also incredible, and makes for an easy choice between Wall-E and Despicable Me.

6. Themes/Values

Wall-E
Wall-E can mean something different to different people. To some people it is a warning about the environment. To others it is an allegory for the bible (Wall-E being Christ that has to save humanity through sacrifice). Overall, though, it is a touching story about the depths of love and redemption through love.

7. Structure/Pacing

Despicable Me
Gru's story transition in Despicable Me is very well done, and I liked the rest of the structure too. The introduction of the villain and the real villain, the story of the three girls, and everything else was paced and structured very well.

Wall-E - 5
Despicable Me - 2

Winner: #1 Wall-E

I hated both of these movies, but if I were doing this I'd probably give the win to South Park, if only because I didn't have to listen to my friend's obnoxious brats sing the songs (horribly off-key) for months and months. Though considering the songs in South Park, that might've actually been amusing if they had.

This is one of the few that I'm edging it out for a film based on historical importance.
I'm not especially fond of either of these movies, but I'd probably vote the same way you did and for the same reason.
[color="Sienna"]#1 Wall-E vs. #16 Despicable Me

Wall-E - 5
Despicable Me - 2

I love both of these movies, but there's really no contest here and I would've voted the same way.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Frozen - 4
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut - 3

I'm glad that Frozen won this match. This is an easy one for me because I loved Frozen, and I hated South Park.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - 4
Rango - 3

These are both good movies, but it's another easy decision for me. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs has always been one of my favorite animated movies, while Rango is a good movie, but there are a lot of other animated movies that I like better than it.

#1 Wall-E vs. #16 Despicable Me

Wall-E - 5
Despicable Me - 2

I love both of these movies so much that I hate to pick one over the other, but if I had to pick one, I would pick Wall-E. I think Wall-E is by far the better all-around movie, (and possibly my all-time favorite animated movie), while I love Despicable Me more for the adorable Minions than for the movie itself.

#2 Ratatouille vs. #15 Charlotte's Web

1. Originality

Ratatouille
A rat who's good at cooking... this is probably Pixar's most original idea, and they bring it to full life in a fun adventure. The Paris visuals are absolutely stunning, and this is like nothing Pixar had done up to that point.

2. Script/Screenplay

Ratatouille
The script of Ratatouille is one of the best, of course because of the genius of Brad Bird. This is the guy who did the Incredibles and the Iron Giant, so it's no surprise that the script is witty and fun, without losing dignity.

3. Animation

Ratatouille
This is one of the best looking movies of the last 20 years. Along with its beautiful animation, it is a total color scheme to it, a tone that is incredibly mature. It's like the colors of 2001: A Space Odyssey or Grand Budapest Hotel.

4. Characters

Ratatouille
The characters in Ratatouille are all likeable people, each with a unique personality. Remy, the protagonist, is one of the best Pixar, or Disney for that matter, protagonists. Linguini and Colette make an absolute power couple, and I love the supporting cast including Ego as well.

5. Music/Sound

Ratatouille
Maybe my favorite Pixar soundtrack right here. Michael Giacchino is a genius, and I think he should have won an Oscar for this score. It's so chillingly beautiful, and ties together many themes and motifs that are highly mature.

6. Themes/Values

Charlotte's Web
Charlotte's Web is an ode to life, but also an ode to death. It is an ode to beauty and to ugliness, to happiness and also misery. But I love the themes that are created out of this. Even in death life can be found (Charlotte's baby spiders). Great beauty can be found in great ugliness (the pig, Wilbur, as a child, and Fern raising him). Great happiness can be found in great misery (basically the whole movie). This film tells us something incredibly profound - that life won't always go as you want it, and it's best to your life with meaning, with purpose. The ending brings tears to my eyes.

7. Structure/Pacing

Ratatouille
Remy is one of the few static Pixar protagonists, but this works perfectly. He is actually the one who changes the opinions of the others around him. It is about love and acceptance, and the structure and pacing plays off this perfectly.

Ratatouille - 6
Charlotte's Web - 1

Winner: #2 Ratatouille

This was an unfortunate match-up, I really liked both.

#3 Toy Story 3 vs. #14 Duck Amuck

1. Originality

Duck Amuck
Duck Amuck is one of the most original Looney Tunes shorts, and easily one of the best. Everything in it is an exercise in creativity and the ability to create new art. It never gets old, and I wanted the six minute time span to go on forever.

2. Script/Screenplay

Toy Story 3
The script of this movie is exactly what you'd expect from a Toy Story - or Pixar for that matter - movie. It's witty, sparkling with hilarious humor, and overall just a blast to watch. I love every minute of this film.

3. Animation

Toy Story 3
If you watched all four Toy Story films back to back without having seen anything else Pixar did, you could still get a good idea of how much their animation has improved. Toy Story 3 jumped ten years from Toy Story 2, and the animation is incredible.

4. Characters

Toy Story 3
Woody and Buzz are iconic as always, and everyone else is just as good. The best Toy Story villain ever, Lotso, steals the show at many times, and the supporting cast is great, including Ken and Barbie's fun relationship.

5. Music/Sound

Toy Story 3
I've never loved Randy Newman, but with the Toy Story series he's usually pretty good. Toy Story 3's soundtrack isn't the best of Pixar's, but it doesn't disappoint, especially during the emotional ending.

6. Themes/Values

Toy Story 3
Toy Story 3 brings the themes and philosophies of the Toy Story series to a whole new level. Acceptance, loss, jealousy, and much more are at play here in this whirlwind wrap-up to a series. And yes, it wraps it up. Toy Story 4 was great, but it is it's own film, not part of the trilogy.

7. Structure/Pacing

Toy Story 3
Woody has a great arc as usual, but the others experience dilemmas about their lives too. This makes for a pacing that is on par, and structurally it is smooth with no complaints.

Toy Story 3 - 6
Duck Amuck - 1

Winner: #3 Toy Story 3

#4 The Nightmare Before Christmas vs. #13 Chicken Run

1. Originality

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Although he didn't direct it, this is a Tim Burton film through and through. And that's a good thing for originality. Halloween Town has got to be one of the most bizarre settings for a movie ever. The Boogie Man's home is sooo weird and the whole thing is just filled with absurdist fun.

2. Script/Screenplay

Chicken Run
The screenplay for Chicken Run is really good. There are hilarious lines and witty dialogue between Rocky and Ginger. The rest of the supporting cast, including a war veteran and knitting hen bring great laughs in the form of the fantastic screenplay. All of the scenes with the Tweedys are so great too.

3. Animation

The characters in this movie really do seem alive in the same way that CGI would. This was two years before Toy Story, so this would have been a huge treat for those used to the style of Disney or Studio Ghibli. The colors and tones are certainly unique, but they work fantastically.

4. Characters

Chicken Run
Ginger is such a great protagonist, so that's the one that edges it out for me - I simply like her more than Pumpkin Jack. As for the other characters, I've already talked about them. I love them all, including Rocky and the Tweedys. All the other hens have a plethora of different character types too.

5. Music/Sound

I actually love the soundtrack to Chicken Run, but in no way, shape, or form does it beat out the Nightmare Before Christmas. While it's not the best animated musical ever, it's pretty good. The songs for the most part are catchy and memorable, and it's totally unique, something completely different than the Disney Renaissance songs going on at the same time.

6. Themes/Values

Chicken Run
The themes in Chicken Run aren't exactly subtle, but they're effective. It's all about liberation and being able to lead your own life. This is demonstrated so well through the plans and efforts of the desperate chickens to flee the tyrannic farm.

7. Structure/Pacing

Chicken Run
One of my biggest issue with the Nightmare Before Christmas was the poor structure. It seemed like Jack and Sally just randomly started a relationship at the end after she had not been too keen about him during the movie. Chicken Run isn't amazing in terms of structure and pacing, but it works fine so I'm giving it to Chicken Run.

Chicken Run - 4
The Nightmare Before Christmas - 3

Winner: #13 Chicken Run

#2 Ratatouille vs. #15 Charlotte's Web

Winner: #2 Ratatouille

This was an unfortunate match-up, I really liked both.
If I were doing this, I would also give the win to Ratatouille. But in a match of rat vs. rat, I'd choose the sarcastic, selfish, greedy Templeton over the adorable Remy without question. Templeton is probably my favorite animated film character ever.

I like both and I'd probably vote this way as well, but I'm not in love with either film and don't have a strong opinion.

I love both of these and this is a tough match. I ranked Nightmare Before Christmas higher than Chicken Run on both my personal top 100 and my animation countdown ballot, but I'm not sure which I'd rank higher now.

If I were doing this, I would also give the win to Ratatouille. But in a match of rat vs. rat, I'd choose the sarcastic, selfish, greedy Templeton over the adorable Remy without question. Templeton is probably my favorite animated film character ever.
Wow, that's an... interesting choice. What do you like so much about him? I actually liked him too, but not as much as Charlotte and Wilbur.

Wow, that's an... interesting choice. What do you like so much about him? I actually liked him too, but not as much as Charlotte and Wilbur.
Well I'm sure a lot of it boils down to nostalgia, since I grew up watching Charlotte's Web. But mainly I'm a sarcastic person myself and I love food so I can relate to him.

Also, I love rats.

Toy Story 3 - 6
Duck Amuck - 1

I understand why Toy Story 3 won over Duck Amuck, but Duck Amuck is one of my all-time favorite Looney Tunes cartoons, so IMO, it would win over most animated movies.

Chicken Run - 4
The Nightmare Before Christmas - 3

I haven't seen Chicken Run since it was released on DVD, (probably about 15 years ago), but I didn't really care for it much back then, so I've never had the desire to rewatch it.

On the other hand, I've watched The Nightmare Before Christmas numerous times, and it just keeps getting better and better every time, so this is an easy match for me. The Nightmare Before Christmas easily wins this match.

I understand why Toy Story 3 won over Duck Amuck, but Duck Amuck is one of my all-time favorite Looney Tunes cartoons, so IMO, it would win over most animated movies.
I really really liked Duck Amuck, but it just felt wrong somehow to give the win to a 7-minute short over a complex and feature-length film. Along with that, I probably do like Toy Story 3 more anyways.

I really really liked Duck Amuck, but it just felt wrong somehow to give the win to a 7-minute short over a complex and feature-length film. Along with that, I probably do like Toy Story 3 more anyways.

We had a Looney Tunes Hall of Fame a few years ago, and Duck Amuck won. Unfortunately most of the images have disappeared from that thread, but you can still read the reviews.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=46129

We had a Looney Tunes Hall of Fame a few years ago, and Duck Amuck won. Unfortunately most of the images have disappeared from that thread, but you can still read the reviews.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=46129
Not surprised it won, it's a really solid short. Looking at the noms in that hall of fame it likely would have been my #2 (after Rabbit of Seville).

Not surprised it won, it's a really solid short. Looking at the noms in that hall of fame it likely would have been my #2 (after Rabbit of Seville).

There were some great shorts nominated in that HoF. I thought either One Froggy Evening or Duck Dodgers would have won, but I was just as happy that Duck Amuck won.