Submit Your
2000s
List
The deadline for the Top Films of the 2000s list is TODAY! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Hawkeye (Disney+)

Tools    

As a former comic book fan & collector, I have issues with some of Marvel's casting choices.

Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye is one of them.

Nothing against the man or his acting, but he never said Hawkeye / Clint Barton to me.
Renner just seems too mellow or laid back - whereas Hawkeye was always the bad boy of the Avengers; the rebel, the loud mouth, even something of a loose canon from time to time who had problems with protocol and authority.

This is going to sound a bit weird, but after watching episodes of Star Trek Enterprise, someone who struck me as seeming more like the Hawkeye of the comics was Conner Trinneer.

Not the best looking choice (although he was blond), but his character of Trip Tucker on Enterprise seemed more like Hawkeye: friends with the Captain, but often butted heads over orders (Hawkeye in the comics had a long running feud with Captain America over issues with authority although they were friends).

Tucker would sometimes disobey orders, be irresponsible, defy Star Fleet protocol if it meant rescuing his friends, was quick to take an aggressive stance over diplomacy as he had a slight temper, had little compunction about breaking the rules, was often sarcastic, was driven by his passions, and although the most loyal of teammates - he was a little bit of a loose canon himself.

These were all traits of comic book Hawkeye that I felt never really came through as defining traits with Renner.

As a former comic book fan & collector, I have issues with some of Marvel's casting choices.

Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye is one of them.

Nothing against the man or his acting, but he never said Hawkeye / Clint Barton to me.
Renner just seems too mellow or laid back - whereas Hawkeye was always the bad boy of the Avengers; the rebel, the loud mouth, even something of a loose canon from time to time who had problems with protocol and authority.

This is going to sound a bit weird, but after watching episodes of Star Trek Enterprise, someone who struck me as seeming more like the Hawkeye of the comics was Conner Trinneer.

Not the best looking choice (although he was blond), but his character of Trip Tucker on Enterprise seemed more like Hawkeye: friends with the Captain, but often butted heads over orders (Hawkeye in the comics had a long running feud with Captain America over issues with authority although they were friends).

Tucker would sometimes disobey orders, be irresponsible, defy Star Fleet protocol if it meant rescuing his friends, was quick to take an aggressive stance over diplomacy as he had a slight temper, had little compunction about breaking the rules, was often sarcastic, was driven by his passions, and although the most loyal of teammates - he was a little bit of a loose canon himself.

These were all traits of comic book Hawkeye that I felt never really came through as defining traits with Renner.

It sounds more like Trip Tucker would have been a good choice for Hawkeye, not necessarily Conner Trinneer.

You ready? You look ready
Just an excuse for them to say they got Christmas themed Marvel **** now.

I really don’t think this series is necessary, but I’ll happy to be proved wrong like I was with Loki.

Still…I am so sick of Marvel. Just give me the newest Spider-Man already 💀