Why is Hollywood making much more movies about racism in the US lately

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It just seems that way lately, like we've been getting a lot of movies that deal with that type of subject matter, such as 12 Years A Slave, Django Unchained, Get Out, Moonlight, The Help, Blackkklansman, Hidden Figures, and now Green Book.

But it seems like quite a bit more than usual lately, and I was wondering if there is any particular reason for that, or is it all a coincidence? Doesn't seem like a coincidence, with the number of movies lately, but what do you think, or what is the reason for it out of curiosity?

This might just do nobody any good.
I would say that to frame this as a kind of sudden surge is incorrect, but there has a been a push for diversity behind cameras and greater focus has been put on the work of filmmakers from marginalized groups. Their films, the stories they wish to tell, which often come from personal experiences in growing up in said marginalized groups, are more visible now than ever, though they were always there.

Edit: where this add on leads this particular conversation forward into, I’m not sure, but it is worth noting that half the films you listed come from, as a matter of fact, white directors and writers, so my reaction is to say... well, only a bit more visible.

Oh okay. And of course there is nothing wrong with it, it just seems like a lot of these movies are coming out now, and I'm thinking why now, compared to before... And why didn't really look up all the races of the directors or take that into consideration, but more so why these movies are coming out more today than before

This might just do nobody any good.
Disclaimer: my post hardly counts as an adequate explanation for the greater visibility of race-related-disparity based films. I think that the reasons for this greater focus are much more important than the focus itself. Hollywood didn’t independently decided to make this move. It feels very much like a response to events that have occurred and are occurring outside of the industry and I don’t feel confident in covering all of those particular subjects.

Just know: sudden visibility is not sudden existence.

Maybe because racism still exists, and by now - most of us should at least be enlightened to know better. And every different story has nuances that illustrate how it still exists today. People can lie to themselves and think they're not racist - until that one day something happens.

I think racism works every way, and between any race - but I also see the media, irresponsibly as usual, putting nasty spins on it and stirring pots - and the other sad thing is that the whole fake news buzzword doesn't help a lot of simpleton minds on how to filter their self trusted sources. Movies might be trying to help combat that.

Oh I also forgot the movie Selma as well.

Oh sorry, my mistake. I wanted too see Moonlight, but I read the synopsis before, and synopsis said it was about an African-American man, having trouble growing up in American society, so I thought it was about racial issues from reading that but I presumed wrong. My mistake.

Its hard to nail it down to just one thing. Its is a marketable concept now. Probably a push against a president that is considered racist. Seeking more diversity. I think there was some change with the Straight Outta Compton snub and the Oscar is too white thing. It is something many industries struggle with. British industry, TV or movie is considered even more "whiter".

Oh yeah, it's always been a marketable concept, I just thought there was more now than compared to say, last decade, and thought maybe something in current events was causing it perhaps. I didn't think it was because of the president though, because most of the ones I mentioned came out when Obama was president.

Maybe because racism still exists, and by now - most of us should at least be enlightened to know better. And every different story has nuances that illustrate how it still exists today. People can lie to themselves and think they're not racist - until that one day something happens.

I think racism works every way, and between any race - but I also see the media, irresponsibly as usual, putting nasty spins on it and stirring pots - and the other sad thing is that the whole fake news buzzword doesn't help a lot of simpleton minds on how to filter their self trusted sources. Movies might be trying to help combat that.
From an industry that makes it hard for Right Wingers to be out of the closet....

From an industry that makes it hard for Right Wingers to be out of the closet....
What does that mean? Confused.

Whites have gone soft with too much botheration about rights of minorities---a sure sign of degeneration . And the world is very cruel towards softies . Which is why I have come to the conclusion that Trump is needed @Velvet .