10.00%
4 votes
Westerns
12.50%
5 votes
Other
40 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Welcome to the human race...
Hmm, could be interesting, though I wonder about factoring in the originals when making those calls.

Hmm, could be interesting, though I wonder about factoring in the originals when making those calls.

I think the originals would have to be a major factor.
Example...

T2 is a great movie... a great sequel.
But technically, The Terminator, and I'm on about the technical side of things, wasn't actually that great. So really, T2 had an easy task at bettering the original.
Still though, T2 is a great movie, and a great sequel... and would deserve its spot on the list.

The other hand... Blade Runner.
Iconic. Simple as.
A masterpiece in filmmaking.
Following that up is gonna be a tough challenge... yet 2049 knocked the ball right out of the park and into the next town...

Hence... 2049, for me at least... would rank way higher than T2, even though T2 is a masterclass.

Aliens too (Cameron again, but hey).
Alien... masterpiece... Aliens, sets an example of upstaging the original.

I think it's also a matter of seeing which sequels hold up as standalone features without taking the originals into account at all (which would be easy enough for, say, Dawn of the Dead) or if they even have to be superior to their predecessors at all. You could think A New Hope is still superior to Empire Strikes Back but does that necessarily mean the latter loses any and all claim to being a great sequel - or does it lose its claim to greatness because it's so reliant on its source to make it truly great features stand out?

I'd go for 2000 - 2009.

Now that we are almost through eighteen years of the 21st century, update the MoFo Millennium list, which at the time was 2000-2011, I believe. Redo it with the decade cutoff to match the other decade lists.

The problem with genre lists is always defining what does and doesn't qualify.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

While we should do that at some point, I wouldn't want to mess up the alternating time-genre pattern that's been established (and even then it can wait until after the pre-1930 list).

Some genres are hard to pin down.
"Fantasy" is probably the toughest to nail down.

Most movies would and could be classed as fantasy... like Sci-Fi and comic book movies... Comedy too can come under Fantasy...

But if there was a Fantasy list, full of stuff like LOTR, Willow, Labyrinth, Narnia, and Harry Potter... and then stuff like Tron, Ex_Machina, the MCU and Ghostbusters appeared in there as well, it'd be pretty jarring, even though they are part of that genre.

Horror, Comedy and Sci-Fi in themselves though, are all pretty clear cut.

Same could be said for Thrillers.
What exactly defines a movie that "thrills" a person?
I mean, I get thrills watching Star Trek

I just had a thought about a Sequels List...

The Hobbit? So basically Fellowship would now be eligible?
Prometheus and Covenant? Would their existence mean that Alien is now eligible?
The MCU? What is or isn't eligible?
How the hell would something like Paranormal Activity be regulated?

A Sequels List would have to be hugely regulated.
Considering I had to do similar with the Comics List, if anyone wanted to host a Sequels List at some point in the future, I'd be happy to stay way from that train wreck

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The more I think of it, I think we should redo 2000-2009 after the horror list because I think people have had more time to settle in and think about it.

Let's just go really specific... The MoFo June 15th 1993 15:47, to September 12th 2004 17:36 Countdown.

Pre-30s should come after Horror. Would be very odd for a movie based site to work all the way back to the 30s and then go no further imo.

At least four of those have been done already (six if you want to count the millennium list that's mostly 2000s movies and the unofficial action countdown). Otherwise, I question how many of those genres could sustain a full top 100 - does everyone on here care that much about sports movies or legal dramas or biopics to be able to build a decent list?

At least four of those have been done already (six if you want to count the millennium list that's mostly 2000s movies and the unofficial action countdown).
Horror has also been done already..
Otherwise, I question how many of those genres could sustain a full top 100
Maybe a bit off-topic here, but it doesn't have to be 100 for me, like
Film4's 50 Films To See Before You Die and the Sight & Sound's Directors Poll for example..

- does everyone on here care that much about sports movies or legal dramas or biopics to be able to build a decent list?
Think you are more qualified to answer that, you have been here for almost 15 years, I just got here..

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Why we should do musicals:

- It's a good contrast to horror. There might be one or two films I would have on both lists, but way less crossover than thrillers.
- It's pretty clear what counts. I don't want to underestimate the potential for drama and nit-picking, especially given the women director's countdown, but in general, something is either a musical or it isn't. Not quite so much possibility for genre confusion.
-There is a current musicals list but it sucks. There are only 25 films on it and it isn't one we voted for as a forum.

Alternatively: foreign/non-English language movies.

Although I think convention is that a decade one should be next, so any 'genre' list would have to come after that.

Why we should do musicals:

- It's a good contrast to horror. There might be one or two films I would have on both lists, but way less crossover than thrillers.
- It's pretty clear what counts. I don't want to underestimate the potential for drama and nit-picking, especially given the women director's countdown, but in general, something is either a musical or it isn't. Not quite so much possibility for genre confusion.
-There is a current musicals list but it sucks. There are only 25 films on it and it isn't one we voted for as a forum.

Alternatively: foreign/non-English language movies.

Although I think convention is that a decade one should be next, so any 'genre' list would have to come after that.
I second that. Musicals would be fun.

I'm going to pretty much stay out of this, but I don't think it's a must to do a decade next as usual because we're quickly running out of decades to do. I think it makes sense to avoid thrillers right after a horror countdown and I would agree that musicals sounds like it fits right. I also look forward to the foreign language countdown whenever it comes. I am also happy for war, comedy, action, Western, fantasy, crime, etc.