Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Noah Baumbach by way of Woody Allen was how someone described this movie. Good description. Greta Gerwig has got to stop playing Greta Gerwig in every movie she does.

Quite enjoyed it. Extremely wordy & took forever to get to the end.

Snooze factor = Zzz

First time I watched Eraserhead was back in 2001 and I loved it. Second time around was quite disappointed with the film and was not quite how I remembered it.

And then went on to watch a second David Lynch film I loved first time around and this time couldn't stand most of it... this film won the Palme d'Or?!

Snooze factor rating = Zzz

Then I was waiting 96 minutes for this to end...

Snooze factor = Zzz

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Leon Morin, Priest (1961) by Jean-Pierre Melville

+

A Tale of Winter (1992) by Eric Rohmer

The American Friend (1977) by Wim Wenders

+

Sid and Nancy (1986) by Alex Cox

L'Opéra mouffe (1958) by Agnès Varda

Perceval le Gallois (1978) by Eric Rohmer

+

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Jack and Diane (2012)

Pretty excruciating watching scenes where there is literally no script and the actors just sort of shrug and mumble at each other. Disappointingly dull.

-

El Topo (1970)

Finally decided to watch my first Jodorowsky. Deformed offspring of spaghetti western and Salò on drugs pondering the mysteries of existence. Some nice scenes but as a whole doesn't interest me much more than your average prophet.

His Girl Friday (1940)

''Why divorce doesn’t mean anything nowadays, Hildy, just a few words mumbled over you by a judge.''

Alien 3 (1992)

Watched the Assembly Cut for the first time. Clearly worse film than the first two and if my memory serves me right the theatrical cut is better version. I wonder how this would have turned out if the studio had let the writers and Fincher do their jobs in peace.

THE YELLOW SEA \ HWANGHAE (2010) HONG-JIN NA

Another typical South Korean mainstream movie, revenge+revenge+revenge = violence+violence+violence.
But this one was special somehow. I was thinking to myself that if I were the main character I would had given up and let them kill me, I got tired just from watching him try to save his life. A normal man with let's say 1,82m and 90kg, have around seven liters of blood, but this South Koreans must be vampires or something.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Alien 3 (1992)

Watched the Assembly Cut for the first time. Clearly worse film than the first two and if my memory serves me right the theatrical cut is better version. I wonder how this would have turned out if the studio had let the writers and Fincher do their jobs in peace.

Is it better than resurrection? I remember it being so... But at least resurrection is fun.

Welcome to the human race...
I'd say it's the better film, plus I'd also say that the Assembly Cut is better.

Fake Tattoos -

because even metalheads need their own manic pixie dream girl movie I guess

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Jeremiah Johnson (1972)

So that is were that meme/gif of Robert Redford with a massive beard smiling and nodding comes from.

First things first - Brad Pitt is a Redford doppelgänger.

The movie; it’s good and interesting in a survival and masculine fantasy type of way. Breaking free of people, hunting, building - things alien in our coddled world yet appealing to our primal side.

I’ve been watching a bbc reality show ‘life below zero’. This is that lifestyle on film with the addition of human on human violence. This in particular gets a bit much and ruins perhaps the last third of the film.

I do think the subject matter is handled well and except for the fight scenes, realistically. Indians display brutal behaviour yet there is understanding/reasoning rather than portrayal as mindless savages. The presence of the intruding white man is apparent.

Johnson journey from pilgrim/city man to mountain man and finally to warrior legend is interesting but also felt mild. There was no special sauce that I tasted. Well shot, well acted and interesting but not finger licking.

3.5 out of 5

Brad Pitt is a poor mans Robert Redford.

Is it better than resurrection? I remember it being so... But at least resurrection is fun.
The question is should an Alien film be fun ?

Alien 3 (1992)

I found the original idea of a wooden planet with monks really interesting. It would have looked like Cadfael (come to think of it I can't remember whether any of the Alien 3 cast ever appeared in that show but it seems likely).

I'll rewatch Resurrection soon so I'll be back on this subject. According to my memory Resurrection as a whole is better but the final confrontation with the alien is kinda bad. But we'll see, maybe even today