Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

movies can be okay...
LOVED Mommy! it has become one of my favourite films in such a short amount of time.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Destruction Babies (2016)

one of the brutally shocking and disturbing movies I'd encounter in recent years.

[rating]Yuya.Yagira[rating]

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Gotta use the full URL on that first one.

No idea what you're trying to do with the rating tag.
Really? I've been rating my films on the Yuya.Yagira scale since I first joined here.

no .5 can add behind yagira

It's better for security reasons. It's going to happen on all sites eventually.

Anyway, image is still broken over here: if you see it, it's presumably because it's cached on your device. Sorry, gotta get it from somewhere else or, better, upload it here or to Imgur or something.

Hee, lol so its won't shown up in other

Can't even found its wiki page at first search, guess I'll check letterboxd or somewhere next time. Even too lazy open upload tinypic or imgur now lul this phone kinda old

Boldly going.
Magnificent 7 (2016)
7/10

I thought more backstory for the 7 characters should've been given. I thought Peter Sarsgaard, who played the main villain, looked bored most of the time. Still, some good lines and action.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Children of Men (2006)

In a future bellicose apocalypse full of infertile inhabitants, a man must help the only pregnant woman get to safety.

I forgot how really good this movie was. Clive Owen is the perfect anti-hero forced into saving humanity. Incredibly disturbing, as it mirrors and magnifies many of the issues going on today.

Phenomenal action sequences, puts you right in the middle of chaotic urban combat. Suspenseful all the way through.

Great to see Michael Caine with long hair, farting and smoking pot. The yummy Julianne Moore, despite her lack of screen time, was another nice lagniappe for which we thank the filmmaker.

Very entertaining, hugely suspenseful, and somewhat disturbing film.

4.8 flasks-of-whiskey-in-a-dirty-pocket out of 5

The Bib-iest of Nickels

I wanted to like this film. After all, The Wailing has critical acclaim from critics, and I wanted another South Korean film to add among my favorites, with I Saw the Devil and Oldboy. I didn't like this film, however. Spanning at over two and a half hours, the film needed a unique and creative hook to keep my attention on it. This film didn't really have that, and although, it was nicely shot, a lot of the film was run-of-the-mill narrative and ideas. The original ideas that made it worthwhile were outweighed by a lagging pace and a plethora of unneeded events that slowed it down. The film could have greatly benefited from a disciplined editor leaving fluff on the cutting room floor, but, even still, I can't escape that it's a ho-hum film altogether. I think the content is there for a good film, but this didn't do it for me.

'Lion'
A Weinstein Company release, presented in association with Screen Australia, of a See-Saw Films production, in association with Aquarius Films, Sunstar Entertainment. Producers: Emile Sherman, Iain Canning, Angie Fielder. Executive producers: Bob Weinstein, Harvey Weinstein, David C. Glasser, Andrew Fraser, Shahen Mekertichian, Daniel Levin.
Crew
Director: Garth Davis. Screenplay: Luke Davies, based on the book “A Long Way Home” by Saroo Brierley. Camera (color, widescreen): Greig Fraser. Editor: Alexandre de Franceschi.
With
Dev Patel, Rooney Mara, David Wenham, Nicole Kidman, Abhishek Bharate, Divian Ladwa, Priyanka Bose, Deepti Naval, Tannishtha Chatterjee, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Sunny Pawar. (English, Bengali, Hindi dialogue)

This film won the Golden Globe for best drama and is a current nominee for Academy Award best picture. It's the story of a 5-year-old who became separated from his family and lost for 20 years. I don't like to go much into plot. Too much spoiler potential.

I see this film won the best cinematography award from the American Society of Cinematographers and my initial reaction to the film was being blown away by the beautiful images of India and Calcutta. The cinematography alone kept me riveted to the film's first half ( the second half that takes place in more ordinary urban surroundings is naturally less gorgeous than the fantastic footage in India.) "Lion" is also amazingly edited. I see the director worked in commercials and he must have cut the film himself because the editing is quite brilliant. The economical time constraints of commercials teach you a lot. This film should rightly take home the Oscars in those categories, but the steamroller for La La Land will probably deprive it of its just rewards. Great editing in the first half.

Again, I'm going to note this is a film in two halves: There is a leap of 20 years in the middle to encompass the young man's life story and, for me, the result is only half of a great film. I found the second half a disappointment following the bravura opening, which had me immediately thinking of the great tragedies of Indian film, like those of director Sajit Ray, but this film has its own sense of modernity and cuts its own path as a film -- and the first half is stunning as it depicts the little boy's sudden immersion into homelessness. It's touching, frightening and brilliantly done. The second half takes place in contemporary times in Australia and the little lost boy is now 30 years old. He's played by Dev Patel from Slumdog Millionaire -- a handsome young actor. Unfortunately, his acting is one of the weak points of the film. He's okay in some scenes, but unable to muster the emotions needed for the tear jerking finale. In fact, I think his inner conflict that comprises the second half brings the story to a disappointing crawl. Maybe there's no way it could compete with the "Oliver Twist" opening, but the script bogs down and melodrama wanders in for too long. The ending is suitably touching, however.

All in all, I'd give this film 3.5 out of 5 stars. I will I could give it four stars, but that second half slowdown really hurt the film in my eyes.But watch it for the brilliant first half and then try to ride it out to the finale.

Zootopia

I loved the movie!! Flash was hilarious! and Nick is just the best thing of the movie. The Tiny godfather and the times you say "That's the real villain" were amazing. Carrot's positive attitude is a how everyone should be. I knew I was going to enjoy it before I watched it .

The Last Picture Show (1971)

I really fell for this movie. I lived in a small country town, and this one really spoke truths about it. No secrets, detachment from suburbia, and "hustle and bustle," but always feeling like home, whatever your perception is regarding your upbringing, and experiences there. The direction, and writing is honest, and personal, and every performance left an impression on me. A new favorite, for sure.

Lion (2016)

This movie started off strong. You truly did feel for the main character when he's separated from his family. It's cleverly shown through the kid's perspective; you're never told what these threats to him are on his journey, only shown, which makes this trials all the more terrifying in the places he encounters, and the people he meets, especially when their intentions are left ambiguous.

The movie really slows down in the middle when he becomes an adult, it really seems like it's racing to get to the end to floor you with the resolution of the story, which would take a expert on failure to screw up. It doesn't disappoint, and it's hard not to be moved by the ending, but even then it's short lived, and you wish it wasn't over so quickly.

The acting is fine, although if you ask me it's a bitter overpraised. I've always liked Dev Patel since Slumdog Millionaire, but I feel like he's hardly ever given a chance to truly floor anyone with the material he's given, and this sadly is one of them. Kidman is good, but nowhere near close to her best, which I don't blame on her, it's more the script, and how much she's used, which is not a lot. She gets her "Oscar scene" in, but the lines are so hokey in it that even she couldn't convince me it was natural. The kid was doing the best job in this honestly, where's his nomination?

Overall, it's ok. Again, the beginning is solid. It's a nicely shot movie too, especially during the first part of the film. But, I can't get over the "by the numbers" second act, the rushed ending, and some of the painfully corny, sentimental scenes that are present throughout.