Skepsis' 100

→ in
Tools    

80. Back to the Future Part III
Robert Zemeckis, 1990
Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd & Mary Steenburgen

"So you're my great-grandfather. The first McFly born in America. And you peed on me."

79. Children of Men
Alfonso Cuarón, 2006
Clive Owen, Julianne Moore & Chiwetel Ejiofor

"As the sound of the playgrounds faded, the despair set in.
Very odd, what happens in a world without children's voices."

78. The Assassination of Jesse James
by the Coward Robert Ford

Andrew Dominik, 2007
Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck & Sam Rockwell

"Yeah, just ain't no peace with old Jesse around. You ought to pity my poor wife."

77. Annie Hall
Woody Allen, 1977
Woody Allen, Diane Keaton & Tony Roberts

"A relationship, I think, is like a shark. You know? It has to constantly move forward or it dies.
And I think what we've got on our hands is a dead shark."

76. North by Northwest
Alfred Hitchcock, 1959
Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint & James Mason

"Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job,
a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me,
and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed."

Huge props for The Assassination Of Jesse James. Brilliant film that. Haven't seen it for awhile so may check it out at some point in the near future. I'd have it even higher on my list, which I won't redo until I hit 30.

Couldn't get into Back To The Future 3. It's my least favourite of the trilogy.

North By Northwest is another treasure.

Annie Hall is the best Woody Allen film, and North by Northwest is Hitchcock's most entertaining treat. Not sure if I saw BttFIII, if I did I don't remember it as much as the first two. The other two I have wanted to see, since they placed so highly on the Millenium list.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Love all the Back to the Future films, and Part III is a huge amount of fun. Children of Men and Assassination... are both great films, but Annie Hall wasn't really for me. North by Northwest I have seen but not for years and years! And really don't remember all that much of it.

I think the vast majority of people would say the first BTTF is their favorite and I'm among them, but I feel like I may be in the minority when I say I prefer the third over the second. I love them all, but I especially like the radical change in setting for Part 3, really brings a new dynamic to the proceedings. I also feel like it comes close to capturing the brilliant, wacky sense of fun that the first does so well; closer than Part 2.

Or I may be wrong. How would you guys rank them?

I'm probably the same actually. I love all of them but the first film is miles ahead of the sequels. I've always enjoyed Part III because it's just immense fun and Mary Steenburgen is a really nice addition. I have certainly come to appreciate Part II more of the years however, appreciating how smart it proves as a link between the films. Even just little touches like Marty watching the Clint Eastwood film in part II and getting the idea for the makeshift bulletproof vest that he uses in III.

It's tough. On the one hand, I agree that the big change in location is welcome, but anytime a sci-fi film combines western film tropes, I can't help but compare it to Star Wars, as unfair as that is. I prefer the 2nd over the 3rd, despite the issues it has. The first is easily the best, though.

I think most people prefer the 3rd over the 2nd, Skep. So you're not in the minority.

North by Northwest is one of my very favourites, the best Hitchcock in my opinion and great entertainment.

Back to the Future Part III I remember liking but haven't seen it in ages, really want to see it again considering like you guys said is quite different from the first two and it's a bit of a Western.

All the others are films that I really, really want to see. Especially The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford which looks like something I would absolutely love.

North by Northwest is one of my very favourites, the best Hitchcock in my opinion and great entertainment.

Back to the Future Part III I remember liking but haven't seen it in ages, really want to see it again considering like you guys said is quite different from the first two and it's a bit of a Western.

All the others are films that I really, really want to see. Especially The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford which looks like something I would absolutely love.
Thanks. NXNW isn't quite my favourite Hitch, you'll see what is later. It might be his most purely entertaining film, though.

Yeah, Jesse James would probably be right up your alley. Let me know what you think when you see it.

I'd rank North by Northwest around 7th or 8th on my list of top Hitchcock films; in other words, it's still freaking awesome. I haven't seen it in ages, though.

I think I am going to really like this list

I'd rank North by Northwest around 7th or 8th on my list of top Hitchcock films; in other words, it's still freaking awesome. I haven't seen it in ages, though.
(Spoiler Alert) 3rd for me, which gives something away. You've seen more than me though. I've seen all of his most famous stuff and one or two from the second tier but I really need to delve into his lesser-known work.

I think I am going to really like this list
Thanks nebs! Glad you're enjoying it.

81. Dead Poets Society
Peter Weir, 1989
Robin Williams, Robert Sean Leonard & Ethan Hawke

"No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."
I could not get into this movie the other night -- I tried watching it. I saw it once before in high school and really liked it, but it was too sllllllllllooooowwww the other night. A nice message, but not great.

I say it's my favourite, but I think Vertigo is slightly better from a technical perspective and Psycho is just as good too, they are my three favourites, but North by Northwest is just a whole lot more fun and I love Cary Grant in it, got it on blu-ray too unlike the other two at the moment

75. Mystic River
Clint Eastwood, 2003
Sean Penn, Tim Robbins & Kevin Bacon

"We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean."

74. The Green Mile
Frank Darabont, 1999
Tom Hanks, Michael Clarke Duncan & David Morse

"I couldn't help it, boss. I tried to take it back, but it was too late."

73. Run Lola Run
Tom Tykwer, 1998
Franka Potente, Moritz Bleibtreu & Herbert Knaup

"What happened to you? Did you run here?"

72. Mulholland Drive
David Lynch, 2001
Naomi Watts, Laura Harring & Justin Theroux

"You know, there was a man that lived here once that had a prize-fighting
kangaroo. Well, you just wouldn't believe what that kangaroo did to this courtyard!"

71. Let the Right One In
Tomas Alfredson, 2008
Kċre Hedebrant, Lina Leandersson, & Per Ragnar

"I'm twelve. But I've been twelve for a long time."

Mystic River and Let The Right one In, are good films. Mulholland Drive is absolutely awesome though. I own Green Mile, but yet to see it. With my deep displeasure in Shawshank, I'm not sure if I'll like it.

Enjoyed Green Mile but didn't like Let the Right One In and not a fan of Mystic River.Run Lola Run looks awesome,will watch it someday.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
From what I remember of it, Mystic River is one of Eastwood's better films (but not up there with his masterpieces). North By Northwest is my favourite Hitchcock, The Green Mile is an incredibly powerful film and I think Assassination Of Jesse James and Mulholland Drive are two of the best films of the noughties.

Hope to see the first two Back To The Futures as well.

Actually only seen one of that set, the excellent Run Lola Run. However I have all 4 of the others on DVD but yet to watch