The Car Story

Tools    

These. These are the life experiences that are making me cynical. Jaded. Bitter. Distrustful of others. The kind of woman that my little brother calls a "Bossy Woman." You know. The kind of asexual, emasculating woman that all men hate. I can see myself 10 years down the road already - by that time, I will have it so far down to a science that I wont even suffer certain men to speak to me. Because I'll have already had the entire conversation with them in my head, decided they arent "Worth The Time" or the effort and walked away. You know. The conversation I have with my little brother every day.

Oh wait. You have no idea what I'm talking about do you? Do let me share. In what universe do I live? It must be the universe where I am walking around with a sticker on my forehead that says, "Take Advantage of Me." Do let's start at the beginning. You see, "In The Beginning" (which was in March 2008), I decided to lend a guy my Tacoma pick-up truck. But its far deeper than that. This truck, while I admit is kind of hick and strange for a girl, was my very first vehicle bought in college and I paid it off with sweat and blood, ok? I moved a lot, and I seriously and always appreciated my vehicle. Also, I beat the crap out of that thing and it never complained or stopped running (When I say "beat the crap," I DO mean beat the crap - consider I have never had the suggested maintenance at the required intervals. Not once. Only frequent oil changes - fully synthetic when I became a card-carrying contributor to society (read: a job after school) - and necessary maintenance when needed).

Over the last few years, I became a vehicle masochist - when I came back from Florida, I discovered I had no heat anymore (Oh God!), and refused to have the heater core replaced. Why replace the heater core for hundreds when you can wear a scarf, gloves, and a hat? Then my sister, who had no car at the time, parked the truck in a bad neighborhood (where the train was at) when I was out of town for weeks on business, and the window was broken and the shiny new CD player I had installed was ripped out of the dash. She was filled with remorse and replaced the window posthaste. She tried and tried to get me to let her replace the radio/CD. I refused to replace it on principle - I had just paid several hundred to have it installed! In retrospect, I admit now that my silence in the face of her continued attempts to get me to let her have it reinstalled was nothing more than absolute, inexpressable fury - but that's another story for another day. People began to ask me why I didnt fix my truck. It wasnt about the money - I had money. They didnt understand that. Neither did I.

Then, in my more recent adult and settled life, the wandering girl with a pickup beat to kingdom come became a thing of the past, and yes: somewhere in there I, too, wondered why I was punishing myself - so, all in the name of responsible adulthood, admission that I was freezing and wanted music to accompany me on the long commute each day and willingness to have a backseat, I upgraded to what I think is a honey of an SUV. My parents died and went to heaven.

So. As my Tacoma languished in my garage, I considered selling it or giving it away - if for nothing more than that it pained me to see it suffer tire-rot over the months. At the very last, I was willing to give it away, simply because I would rather see someone - anyone - get good years out of it rather that have it die a slow, inauspicious death in the dark corner of my garage.

Ok. So BAM! Out nowhere I discover that a family that I know very well and love very dearly are having car trouble. They have several children, an at home mom, and 1 family van that is broken down and in the shop. They are by no means made of money - I admit I probably make more as a single girl than the dad makes for the entire family. The very night after I'm wondering what to do about the truck, I happen to have a conversation with my mom about the Dad - she has no idea how I feel about my truck at this point. She saw the guy walking to an engagement in the morning, crying his eyes out. He had a hat on and had no idea anyone saw him (it is a quiet neighborhood). After this, she started giving him rides when she saw him on the street - and she was commenting to me about the state of their transportation, and how that he was distressed because he worked over 1 hour away, had no way to get to work, and had no way to get his children to school (come to find out they had missed several days of school because of this).

This ripped my heart out because men crying - I mean really crying and for reasons I consider justified - is heartbreaking to me. So, even though it was already almost midnight, I had an epiphany: they could use my truck until their van was fixed! Content that this was the right thing to do, I hopped into the truck, my mom and sister trailing me in my Volkswagen, and we hightailed it over to their house. We met them at their house and they were so happy. We were so happy. Everyone was so happy! This. This, my friend, was probably the most, and the only rewarding experience of this entire interchange.

Now. Admist all this happiness, we talked potential sale of the truck to them, and in that very moment, in MARCH, amidst and in spite of my protestations, I was promised $500 to buy the truck from me in April, regardless of whether they got their van back, with monthly installments thereafter. I didnt want us to get ahead of ourselves: the businesswoman in me and my integrity felt it my duty to list to them the litany of defects with the truck, including the fact that it came over with a failing tire. I begged them not to feel obligated to buy it from me. I repeatedly explained that I would not be spending another PENNY to fix up the truck, and that it was "AS IS." I practically made them promise to just use the truck for now while their van was being fixed as a trial period to see all the problems with it, and to consider for certain whether they really wanted to buy it. If once their van was fixed they felt it too damaged to purchase (this is me assuming they may not have wanted to spend the money to make the cosmetic repairs), they could just return it. No harm, no foul.

Foul! Because they were my friends, and my elders in age, I did not make them sign any paperwork with me. Oh, how I regretted that decision over the many long months to follow, because thus began my long and torturous affair over MY property.

In the first week they had the truck, they came to me and assured me they wanted it, assured me that they would pay me $500 down in April, and told me that we should agree on a final price so they would know how much they needed to pay thereafter in monthly installments. I tossed. I turned. I grappled. I knew their financial situation, and I didnt want to make money off of them or break them financially. All my family said to charge the full price. After many hours in consideration, I decided that being done with the deal was more important to both me and them, and that it was more important that spend their money to make the repairs. I told them that they could just give me the $500 in April, and we could call it an even sale.

Smiles all around, right? Wrong!

April came. Nothing. I spent many days bewildered wondering when they were going to approach me about the money. Did I mention I see them 3 times per week?

April almost went. Finally, in the closing days of the month the Dad approached me. I cannot tell you the relief I felt. Until he spoke. Apparently, he would not have the money until May. In addition to THAT, he wanted to know if he could break it into two payments in May and June. In addition to THAT, he informed me that his wife told him that he HAD to tell me that he had parked my car in a bad neighborhood, and bottom line, someone had tried to steal the catalytic converter - they had not been succesful, but they had damaged the car in the process. You cannot know how I felt. First, disturbed that it was only mentioned to me because his wife made him. Second, seriously concerned, because by his tone I felt it implied that I was supposed to pay to get it fixed. In the nicest way possible, I reminded him that I had no intention of putting any money in the truck, and that I wondered if he was going to fix the damage, and that he could return it immediately, if he was no longer interested in purchasing the vehicle. He assured me he still wanted it, and that he would pay for all repairs (since the car was still technically MINE - but I got no date certain on when it would be fixed).

Do I need to remind anyone that I lost my job on April 1? Its not that I dont have money in the bank, but there is a principal here - they KNEW I was unemployed. I said ok to all these things, but the entire conversation unsettled me.

May came. Nothing. His wife began avoiding me without being mean about it. I was confused at first, then I realized her behaviour was borne of shame. A sense of foreboding fell over me.

May almost went, when I was approached by the husband. Again, money issues. Because he is my friend, and I looked up to him, I quelled the "freak out!" that rose up in me. I assured him that I was willing to sell the vehicle, if he was willing to buy the vehicle. He assured me he was. This time, he needed to pay me in June/July. My mom had told me to put him on a payment plan for the $500 - she explained that not everyone can come up with such a sum - some people live check to check. I know this - I've been one of them! I felt as though I had been insensitive all this time, although I knew he himself had said he would pay me in a lump sum. I told him he could pay along, because I just wanted him to give me something, ANYTHING toward the price of the car, even if it was $20. Please, I thought, PLEASE show me that you WANT IT! He declined and said he would pay me the 2 months. I said ok, but I know now that subconsciously, I stopped believing.

June came. Nothing. I didnt expect anything. I lay awake nights contemplating how to extricate myself from this situation with my friends.

June almost went when he came to me. I could have prophesied what came next before it happened: he didnt have the money. Not a dime. This time, he was going to pay me the entire fee in July. I didnt believe him. I'm not sure he believed himself. I said ok with my mouth, but I know my eyes showed nothing but disappointment and disillusionment. I knew it. He knew it.

July came. Nothing. I expected nothing. His wife is pregnant now, and I know there's no money coming to me. I'm to the point where I am beyond altruism - altruism is dead. Un-angry, I still lay awake at night wishing for an opportunity - ANY opportunity to take back my truck. Because that little voice inside that has constantly told me that when people want something bad enough, they do what they have to do to have it - I've been listening to that voice for months now.

So. Last week I received a random phone call from him with a voice message informing me (1) he will need to pay me in August because he got a new job that pays more, but that he needs to take several classes this month for the job, and so the car money is for the classes, (2) that my car is being ticketed and (3) is scheduled to be towed on July 21. I am told that my registration is expired (the tone in his voice tells me its my fault, although I made it perfectly clear IN MARCH that I expected him to take care of this since we "sold" the car to them then), the police department is being unfair to him by incessantly ticketing him, and that the car needs to be garaged until he finishes his classes, has the title in his name, and is able to take care of this. Oh. And he is willing to work with me on this.

I almost blew my stack. This car is still titled in my name and he is in a standoff with the police department over it?? HE is willing to work with ME? OMG. O.M.G. When I finally called him back we played phone tag, but when we talked I refused to offer my garage, because I wanted this man-child to physically fix his lips and ASK .....(omg, wait for it....) ME for something. After several long silences, he did, and only after I agreed to find him the title to truck and sign it over to him when he brought the truck back. I agreed because I knew, deep down, that once that truck is in my garage it is NEVER coming out. I wanted him to bring the truck over that day (he doesnt work in the summer, so he has the time) - he made some vague excuses as to why it had to be DAYS later.

Do you know I was at home ALL DAY that day, and he never once called, nor came by the house with my truck? I was on fire. FIRE! I refused to contact him for days, because I knew I would go too far. So. He called me this morning and asked when I wanted it brought over. I told him I had no idea whether I'd be home, and if I wasnt home, to park it in my driveway and leave the keys in the car. However, I waited at home today ALL DAY, and he never came by. Finally, at 9:30pm, I had enough and I called him. He told me he was on his way. HOURS passed. Finally, my mom calls me and tells me she saw the truck parked in my driveway.

I, understandably, was furious. He knew I was home because my other car was parked in the driveway. I cannot believe he did not even have the guts to face me, or the decency to give me a courtesy call to let me know he had dropped the car off. Then my mom came to look at the trucj, and it got WORSE! I was so mad I wasnt even going to go outside, but she went to move the truck into the garage - the HORRID ENGINE noise I heard at 12midnight was enought to wake the entire block. When I came outside I realized that it was MY truck making that beater car noise. At that moment, on the inside, I cried like a little girl. On the outside, I lashed out at my mother to turn it off. It got worse. Once I got back inside, I looked at the various items my mother had taken from the truck when she was inside.

Yes. My good old buddy had left me several little presents called PARKING TICKETS, and a towing notice with a hearing date. Contrary to his assertion that the police are messing with him for not moving the truck, the tickets have apparently been sitting on the windshield so long, that they are now washed out with various rains. My God. And the police are messing with HIM? Give me a break! The parking tickets are $10 if paid on time!!!! I've paid city parking tickets of $50-$70 a pop, and that was when I was a poor broke college student. If this guy is afraid of $10, there is NO way he's going to pay me $500, or even pop the $150 it would have taken him to pay for the muffler he said he would fix.

To top it all off, my mom mentioned that she heard him talking to someone about how he was experiencing the niceties of having money - of being able to at any time go to your bank account and pull out $500 to pay for something. The sad part is that I remember him saying it.

And so. Many moons, disappointment and disillusionment later I have decided that I will *never* find my title for him. If he never mentions it to me again, I'm ok with that - in fact I hope he doesnt. If he does, I think I'll find the courage to say no, or at the very least, hand him an itemized list of fees and require them all to be paid upfront. But. Truth be told? As my battered and sorely abused baby hulks silently in the dark of my garage, she knows, and I know that as much hurting as I have subjected her to, I would never have abused her this way. We have been through so much together, even this, and I know now, more than ever that even in the wide shadow of my Touareg, she still holds value to me.

Am I the only id-jit on these forums?

I am half agony, half hope.
Gosh, Mack, what a horror story! It's never nice to be made a fool of when you've been trying to do a good thing. It's happened to me, so I'm in the idjit club, too. I think you've been handling it very well, and maturely, also. I can't say that I would have been as tactful or diplomatic. Never let that guy near your truck again.

Johann von Goethe

You know, in your situation, I'm not really sure what I would do… If I still had an extra vehicle and saw someone who needed it in order to feed their family, I wouldn't hesitate to give it to them… but even though this guy sounds like he is embarrassed about his situation, he's not acting responsible… and therein lies my problem... and where, I'm afraid, my temper would come into play…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Damn! Bless your heart, woman!

I'm a very giving person, but the second someone tries to screw me . . .

I do have kids, though. So as far as I'm concerned, if someone tries to take from me, they are stealing from my children. Anyone who's ever tried this, has ended up paying up. I'll leave the details out, but I'm pretty sure I should take meds.

No Mack you're not an id-jit. I think deep down you know that. And perhaps in hindsight next time you try something like this you'll just insist that the person in question takes full responsibility right off the bat. You can simply ensure this on your side by signing over the vehicle and making it a gift, if it truly isn't about the money, and nothing in your story leads me to believe that it is. Then that way at the very least you have no legal obligations to deal with. Because now, sadly, you not only have an even closer to dead truck but you're legally on the hook for all of the tickets as well.

I faced a similar situation several years ago. I had an old Toyota Tercell that wasn't running and I just wanted to get rid of it. The man that I ended up "selling" it to insisted he give me something for it, and I believe we ended up on a $200 price tag. That part actually worked out, he paid me in full the day he came to get the car. What he didn't do was fill out any of the paperwork on his end with the DMV. Luckily I did. In Washington you must report all vehicle sales on the sellers end and the buyers end, which I did and it later turned out that it was a pretty smart move on my part. Because several months later I received a letter in the mail, from? You guessed it. A tow truck company telling me I owed them about $ 900 bucks in towing charges, HA! I took my little copy of the seller's report to them and said this is no longer my vehicle no matter what it says on their little screen and I was released from their supposed noose. So I don't know if the same policy applies where you live but maybe if it does and you attempt something like this again in the future (and I hope you do, you have a good heart and this situation shouldn't change that) you can at least protect yourself from this happening again. Good luck and please don't ever change.

Put this in the "No good deed goes unpunished" file.

I don't really get a sense from your post on how well you really knew them before this all happened, Mack, if it was just kind of a neighborly waving and 'Nice weather today' kind of relationship or if you had deeper reason to trust them than the Golden Rule. It's frustrating as all Hell and unfair that you were taken advantage of, which always feels crappy no matter how big or small the advantage taken (and this was rather sizable), but while you'll obviously be more careful and reticent to do something like this again you can't really change who you are - nor should you. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions, but keep paving, I says. They were in the wrong, not you. Knowing that doesn't help pay those fu*kin' tickets or lower your blood pressure any, but you're obviously a good person and they clearly aren't.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Sorry to hear what happened to you mack.
I sort of had the same thing thing happen to me many years ago.
I had a truck too.
It was the brother of a guy I worked with.
Sold him an old truck, he didn't bother to register it, parking tickets, etc.
Fortunately the guy I worked with was an ex cop turned tree trimmer, and when he heard about it, made him take responsibility.
What you tried to do was very kind and generous.
Here is a positive idea.
I assume, you are burned out on all this truck stuff.
Selling it to people the hassles...
Just donate it.
It's off your hands, you get a tax write off...you are done with it.
Donate it to a company that's non-profit.
They will come out and get it...even if vehicles aren't operable.
I think they are in the phone book.
Purple Heart Vets. etc.
Goodwill, Salvation Army.
Good luck!
Keep being the person that you are.

That has me curious. Do you mind sharing how well you knew them?

Vehicle problems seem to be popular. One of my problems was also a vehicle.

Long story short:

Where my mom use to live, you pull out of the driveway, and it is a corner lot. A four-way stop. We stopped, then pulled through. Some maniac came flying out of nowhere. It put us on the sidewalk, and dented the tire in really far. Bent the axle? I don't know car parts. You couldn't drive it. Anyway, he asked if we would take cash so that his insurance wouldn't go up. I said yes, but that he would have to give me all of his information. I took his license, address, phone number . . . Four days later I called him with the total.

"You did that already?"
"Uh, yeah. It's a family vehicle, and I have two children. What the **** do you think I'm going to get around with them in?"
"I didn't think it would cost that much, or that you'd do it so fast. I'll turn it in to my insurance."

This took too long for my taste, so as time kept ticking with getting the proper things from his insurance company, so that my car could be fixed, I called him a few more times, as well as his insurance company. They said they didn't compensate. I said, "No, but you'll insure people who lie, and try to get away with their policies going up. I'm waiting forever because of this ****. His your problem, not mine."

In the end our car was fixed like new. They gave me 160.00 to compensate, and he gave me 450.00 to leave him the hell alone.

I'll tell you now, even though it worked out in the end, nobody better ask me that again.

Here, for you . . .

I wish I could help you for real. I hate things like this something serious.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Sheesh, there's not much I can add to that...

As a 10 year veteran of the Motor Trade I've heard a number of tales of people getting up to no good in cars that weren't registered to them but hadn't been 'stolen'. Heck, I've even had a few of those vehicles offered to me (usually by people with long beards and tattoos on their foreheads, some of them even men).

The Toureg is a fine vehicle but I know that some cars just seem to click in one's heart. I've had a few - a highly combustible Lancia Fulvia and a 1980 928 with a ... well ... brown interior spring to mind.

You might not want to watch
but I think it shows why the Toyota pickup is held in such high regard by so many.

Projecting the image of success
Sorry this happened to you. Not all men are shady ********. Try not to let this alter your perception of guys. There are some good ones out there.

As far as lending. My father and myself lent my old step-father 500 (250 from both of us) that was over two weeks ago. We had him sign a promisary note saying that he would pay us back once he got his stimulus check later in the week with the absolute latest he can pay being last monday. We're still waiting for our money. I need to get it back because I'm a student too with limited income no matter how much I work.

It's funny how someone won't call you until they need help. I had been trying to get intouch with my lil' brother (same mother, different fathers. He lives with old step dad since my mother passed away) for almost three months. I would leave voicemails after voicemails telling my bro to call me. I didn't have his fathers phone number so I had zero other ways of getting ahold of him. Two weeks ago he manages to contact me asking from money. I don't trust him as far as I can throw him.

The totally awesome and soul consuming TFH One a Day Reviews.

Thanks everybody for the calming words. I read them days ago, but the situation was spiraling out of control faster than a Rice Burner doing 90mph on a icy highway. I didnt trust myself to respond, because I was having long conversations with MYSELF about it. You know its bad when you are screaming at someone in your head and they're not even there to hear it. No amount of thoughtful consideration of the problem made me any less angry. So I spared you.

These Filthy Hands - man dude! That absolutely sucks what you're dealing with. I guess it just goes to show that we are all in these situations once or twice, huh? I hope you get your money back.

Destiny......wow Good god. Where were you when I needed you?? Remind me in the future if anybody ever has to put the smackdown on me here that it just doesnt pay to be on your bad side. Jesus!

Days later and many emotional rollercoasters wsings up and down....well....lets just say I think we've resolved it with our friendship intact.

And you know how it happened? It all came full circle back to me having to be a Witch about it. You know. The kind of woman I worry I might be becoming? Definitely had to whip out the no-nonsense She of the Smackdown.

They pushed.

They prodded.

They vascillated.

They agreed.

Then they changed their minds (soooo totally forgot what it was like dealing with husband/wife teams. 2 minds, one bargain. He says ok, then she makes him come back and change the answer. Gooooo-llee!)

It turns out that HE is the sane party. When I would talk to him, it was no issue - he would totally see it from my point of view. Then he would go home, and all of a sudden the next morning he's suddenly having amnesia and wants to renegotiate.

I finally told him in no uncertain terms that (1) the offer was rescinded and I was not selling them the truck anymore (seeing as I hadnt received any consideration in 5 months- not a dime), and that (2) I fully expected him to pay 100% of the tickets and 100% of the repair cost....

Do you know this dude called me back and attempted to placate me by offering me a rental fee to store it in my garage! On top of that he soothingly explained that he was sorry I was so frustrated, and he understood that my frustration stemmed from the damage to truck - and he and his wife NEVER expected me to feel I had to repair the truck.....dont I know that they didnt mean for me to feel.....y'know....pressure?

I was insulted. I was. But I calmly listened like the child they expected me to be, and then, when he was done talking, carefully explained (again), that
(1) I dont feel pressure at all (the people feeling pressure was them, because they had finally realized that I was dead serious about keeping the truck)
(2) I dont need to them to pay me to store MY property
(3) Oh yeah.. the truck is MINE now
(4) The only thing I am doing at this point is restoring it to the level it was before I gave it to them, and I expect them to pay.
(5) Finally - I'm concerned about their ability to pay a "storage" fee, when they havent been able to pay for the truck itself in 5 months.

He was appropriately chagrined, and said ok.

The next morning ....all of a sudden his his wife (clearly the more aggressive party) finds my number and called me NONSTOP like a lover or a bill collector - you choose - until I picked up the phone. I happened to be taking the truck in to have an estimate done. I ignored the phone. I kid you not that in the short time of taking the truck to the dealer, and going from there to a restaurant for lunch (all in, 15 minutes, give or take), she had called me no less than 6 times.

As it happened, I had been by the DMV that morning and I couldnt even update the registration on the truck because it has to first pass an Emissions Test. This is normal. However, this sorely worsens the situation, because it will NOT pass an Emissions Test with a crapped out Muffler/Emissions System, right? So now - it is absolutely necessary to have the thing repaired, and they were huffing and puffing that they were NOT going to pay the full price of the repair.

This chick tried to bear down on me, but I guess she didnt know who she was dealing with. First she talked about it like her husband hadnt already told her the deal was off. She launched into a long monologue explaining their finances. What she didnt know was that I was beyond compassion - this conversation was one they should have had with me when they were busy ignoring me those many months. Now, she thought it would change my mind. It didnt. I quickly cut in and explained that her finances were none of my business, and that I had explained to her husband that the deal was off. She recovered from that quickly, and proceed to actually haggle with me about where I was going to get the repairs done - and told me NOT to get the repairs at the dealer because it would be too costly.

Ok. First let me say that I am not at all insensitive to the financial situations of others. However, I found this insulting. They had 5 months to fix the car at the lowered price, and didnt. Now they want to dictate where I get my car fixed? That is an ASSININE suggestion. I am a very reasonable person, so I agreed to also have an estimate done by their mechanic, but I firmly explained that the choice was mine, and that I would NOT allow my car to be fixed with bubblegum and a rubberband just to save them the money.

Here's the thing. The next day, the husband told me he would not pay the full price of the repair, because why should he? Their reasoning was that since I was going to keep the car, they shouldnt have to coem our of pocket to pay for repairs on the truck and then not have the truck - they saw that as a loss, because they would still have to buy another car.

Excuse me?? What am I? Chopped Liver? Instead of blowing my stack (like I wanted to), I calmly looked at the Dad and explained that WHY....WHY would they NOT be responsible to return my property to me in the condition they received it in?

I even asked him if he thought that was fair. He said he did and told me he would get back to me.

Now. You may wonder why I didnt just give them the car. I could have. But I didnt feel it was right in this case. You see, this particular circle of people are VERY traditional, and very "male chauvinistic," if male chauvinism can also be endearing, kind, and ok most of the time. They feel like "men wear the pants." Some of the men take great pride in having 1 income homes (more power to them - it doesnt bother me at all), and are very Anti-Agressive-Women. You know the type. Slightly insecure. Wealthy, powerful, or successful women threaten them a little bit - some a lot. Now, far be it from me to tar all the men I know with this brush - its not the case. But there ARE a select few that among us girls are known to be intimidated by women who have more money and/or education than they do. We know who they are, because they visibly, vocally and constantly let us know that we are not men (as if we wanted to be or something ). On really bad days, they accuse strong or successful women of being butch or gay.

These men, since they have clearly expressed that they are so capable, and are so mired in the "man principle" they espouse, do NOT get free handouts from me. I dont know if this makes sense to you, but a free handout from a girl would NOT endear them to me - it would shame them. So, for their pride's sake, I never offer them anything for free. Or if I do, I send it though my brother.

This man is such a man.

You may also wonder why I didnt lose it on these people. Well, first of all, I try not to lose it on anybody. Secondly - its because I've known them for over 10 years, and they are supposed to be "leaders" in our community. He is one of the ministers at my church. People look up to them. The greatest shame I've felt in this entire situation is for them, and a part of me felt it necessary to protect their reputation.

My mom was furious. I'm talking FURIOUS. She has given them a lot of stuff, and she was insanely mad. I thought I was mad, but she was ranting on that this was childish, immature, and dishonorable. Finally, she made me go talk to our Pastor (who the Dad works closely with and greatly respects).

He suggested I give him 2 options:
1. He pay me the entire purchase price of $500, cash in hand by Monday, and that I refuse to garage it, remove my plates, and make him plate/sticker it before I give it to him, and pay me 100% the money for the tickets, or

2. If he refuses to pay the purchase price, then pay me 100% of the tix, and 100% of the repair price, and I keep the truck.

He said if Dad didnt do it, he wasnt going to be able to speak/bring sermons again until I was happy/paid/satisfied.

Basically he told me that this guy is managing his business like a child and I should rip the band-aid off - and that if he didnt respect what I said, then bring the Dad to him, and he'd make him respect it.

So. I called them up the next morning and ripped the band-aid off, giving them the 2 options.

Wanna hear something cool? They totally apologized for all the trouble they put me through. They said I was really sweet, that they didnt feel like I was twisting their arm, that I was only doing what I had to do - that they really did want the truck, and were going make some calls and get the entire amount of the money to pay me and title it on Monday.

It was like a breath of fresh air. They were happy again. I'm happy again, and now, they are going to do what they promised which is to PAY ME.

All it took was me being mean and threatening to take the car back. So I wonder. Why does it ever have to go this far?

You might not want to watch
but I think it shows why the Toyota pickup is held in such high regard by so many.

Yep. That's why I bought it! that and the fact that I moved a lot.

They last FOREVER.

Well, it sounds like it had a good ending. Or at least, as good as you could have hoped for at this point. Standing firm without stabbing them in the eyes with dirty cutlery was incredible, and getting other people involved to help them see how inconsiderate, selfish and unreasonable they had been behaving was the icing on the cake that finally got this intolerable situation resolved.

Keep on keepin' on!

Glad to hear that it worked into your favor.

Wondering why it has to be pushed is beyond me. I think that it has to do with people want freebees today. They keep pushing the line until the line pushes back. I see it all the time at work. I'm a server, people bitch and moan until they do or do not get what they want. They make their servers lives miserable and the tables around them.

I forgot where I was going with this. Oh well. I suck at giving good examples. I just confuse people more.

I still haven't gotten my money back yet either. Almost three weeks.

Thanks Holden!

THF, that's why I always tip big - 20% or more - simply because I seriously FEEL for people who are waiters/waitresses. I couldnt ever do it. Plus I've had the horrid fortune of always being stuck with someone who is incredibly picky about everything: water spots on forks, for instance.

I seriously cringe in shame whenever I go out to eat with this person. A waiter would have to completely offend me for me not to tip them, and that's a rare case.

I would rather leave a bigger tip than ask them to break a $5, $10 or a $20 (depending on the scale of the restaurant/cost for dinner) and wait for change - more so if the waiter was outstanding. However, I had to start stopping this practice when I realized that a growing number of the guys (and I think some of the girls) seemed to think the large tip was because I was attracted to them!

So - I have a question for the waiters/waitresses: does being a hottie always help in the way of tips? (my thinking is that the answer to this question is yes, at least in my experience bussing and coat checking)

Tippers - do you tip the car wash guy / server / hair salon, etc. person more based on levels of hotness?

So - I have a question for the waiters/waitresses: does being a hottie always help in the way of tips? (my thinking is that the answer to this question is yes, at least in my experience bussing and coat checking)

Tippers - do you tip the car wash guy / server / hair salon, etc. person more based on levels of hotness?
Well, i only tip in restaurants. And that's mostly when on holiday due to social convention. But yeah, fitties get better tips but then again i'd more likely chose to eat somewhere with a bit of eye candy.

Funny thing is, i can never accept tips.

I dunno, I judge a tip based on ability to do the job. In my opinion, if you were a 15 out of 10 and can't keep my ****ing drink refilled, you suck. I will still tip at least 15% if the service is bad though. The only time I ever suggested not tipping was when our waitress came up to the table to fill our bevs. on her effing cell phone. I was outraged.

As far level of hotness. I've heard I'm fairly attractive but I'd like to believe that I get tipped on my ability to wait a table and be sociable. It is a lot harder for a guy to win hot points when most of the people paying the tab are males (not trying to sound like a pig). So, I feel I really need to step up my game in order to make ends meet.

How much would you tip me?

and more importantly. How much if I had my dog with me?

Well, i only tip in restaurants. And that's mostly when on holiday due to social convention. But yeah, fitties get better tips but then again i'd more likely chose to eat somewhere with a bit of eye candy.

Funny thing is, i can never accept tips.
Oh Pyro you are bad! But seriously, how do you get away with NOT tipping, or do you just not frequent the same places often (in which case, it doesnt matter as much)?

And what is god's name do you do (that doesnt allow you to accept tips)?

It is a lot harder for a guy to win hot points when most of the people paying the tab are males (not trying to sound like a pig). So, I feel I really need to step up my game in order to make ends meet.
Well TFH, you are not at all hard on the eyes and if you had your puppy with you and were serving a table of girls, you'd get mondo tips on pure cuteness alone. He's adorable. Though I'd think the pup in a restaurant would be a little unsanitary!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Pyro's in England. I doubt that they are like New Zealand, but you're also not supposed to tip in New Zealand. I went there three years ago, but I did tip a couple of times and caused a ruckus both times.