Happy Halloween! SJW's are whining about 'cultural appropriation'...

Tools    

Next thing you know, they'll be saying it's racist for a white person to date/marry/have sex with a black person. How dare white people think they're privileged enough to be touching black skin, they'll say.

Yea! I say ban all non PC Halloween costumes. Wait a minute....Halloween itself offends some, let's ban it....Wait another minute, the miniature candy makers would be offended if it was banned.... We better keep Halloween, as profits are all American!
This is true. You may remember that I helped edit & proofread a couple books that were published... (I won't say the titles as I wouldn't want to offend the author who paid me for my work) ...which were written by born-again converts from Wicca to Christianity. They find Halloween very offensive (and dangerous as it opens innocent little children up to demonic influences and possession).
I think that's just all the sugar, but whatever.

Welcome to the human race...
My point is don't you think people would be offended by glorifying violence, especially if they have violence in their history. Maybe the question would work better if I asked about a kid dressing as a soldier. Should soldiers be offended? I'm just confused by how any of this is offensive. This is someone this little girl wanted to emulate. If it is because it is a group that was marginalized, would it be ok for an African-American girl to dress as a native American. How about cowboys, police officers. If we are telling little white girls they shouldn't emulate native Americans aren't we sending them a message opposite of acceptance of all races?
I think it's one of those cases where a line gets drawn between acceptance of another culture and appropriating of another culture - at least it provides a valuable lesson that there's more to appreciating a different culture than just imitating it on a superficial level. I don't think that it would be any more acceptable for non-white races to do the same thing either - they may not be white but they're still not Native American either. I'd say a major difference with a soldier costume is that it has no racial connotations whatsoever, though I imagine you could make arguments against the military as a tool of American nationalism or whatever that would make wearing a soldier costume at least a little questionable.

This is why I'm voting Trump.

This.
Yeah, that's as good a reason as any to vote for the guy whose running mate supports conversion therapy.

These people think they're being shocking. In the past, people tried to open all possible doors to do something shocking and outrageous. Now all the doors are open, so they're trying to CLOSE all the doors to be shocking.
Uh-huh.

What a shameful little kid in the pic, apparently he didn't eat his PC cereal, arrest him!
Don't be absurd.

Iroquois, how DARE you post on this forum when you haven't even been here as long as I have. How DARE you think you have the PRIVILEGE to be posting in the same space as me! You may have been here a long time, but still, NOT AS LONG AS I HAVE! GET OUT! GET OUT OF HERE! I am offended! I am deeply offended!

Also, how dare you come around me when your username is only one word. What - you think you're better than me because your username is only one word and mine is two words? You think you're better than me because you joined the forum sometime after I did? This is disgusting! HELP! HELP ME! Iroquois is offending me! HELP!

I think it's one of those cases where a line gets drawn between acceptance of another culture and appropriating of another culture - at least it provides a valuable lesson that there's more to appreciating a different culture than just imitating it on a superficial level. I don't think that it would be any more acceptable for non-white races to do the same thing either - they may not be white but they're still not Native American either. I'd say a major difference with a soldier costume is that it has no racial connotations whatsoever, though I imagine you could make arguments against the military as a tool of American nationalism or whatever that would make wearing a soldier costume at least a little questionable.

I think like with all things the line should be drawn at bad intentions. I don't see how a child dressing as a character they have read about and have a doll of is offensive in the least. If my kids wanted to dress as a minority character they like I would definitely let them. My philosophy as a dad has been to talk about people's actions only and not involve race unless they bring it up. I don't do everything right as a father but my kids come to me with genujne shock when they hear someone talk about someone's skin color or ethnicity in a derogatory manor. I consider that a win. Maybe I'm not treating this stuff with enough care but I'm proud of how my kids treat others so I will live with it and they will get to dress as Finn if they ever want to.

I know what you need

Loosen up Iro, little kids dressing up as indians is kind of a compliment in a way. Its making natives into fictional heroes of wonder in a childs mind. That sure as hell will promote them better than a p.c. history book.

Now that Captain America: Civil War is out... should anyone be allowed to dress as the Black Panther?
(He's got a whole bunch of potential "triggers" going on - the nationality, the ethnicity, species issues, the NAME!)

Just for those who don't know: the character was created before the organization was developed. Once the organization was established, Stan Lee & co. changed the comic character's name briefly to the "Black Leopard" but soon reverted back to his original code name as no one cared for the new name.

Photo chose for the fact that the kid in the costume is clearly Caucasoid! *Gasp!* Is this like dressing up in black face?

I think like with all things the line should be drawn at bad intentions. I don't see how a child dressing as a character they have read about and have a doll of is offensive in the least. If my kids wanted to dress as a minority character they like I would definitely let them. My philosophy as a dad has been to talk about people's actions only and not involve race unless they bring it up. I don't do everything right as a father but my kids come to me with genujne shock when they hear someone talk about someone's skin color or ethnicity in a derogatory manor. I consider that a win. Maybe I'm not treating this stuff with enough care but I'm proud of how my kids treat others so I will live with it and they will get to dress as Finn if they ever want to.
Of course bad intentions deserve to be criticised and rejected, but does that automatically make good intentions acceptable (especially if they may not be coming from a place of awareness)? The Washington Post article referenced in the OP illustrates the issue even with good intentions - the author's daughter does want to wear a Native American costume out of genuine fondness for the character, but by the end of the article she does learn that the outfit in question is too special to be worn as a mere Halloween costume. This change isn't achieved through any cartoonish displays of PC outrage but through a demonstration of the culture's importance that speaks to why it shouldn't be treated lightly, creating a greater appreciation of the culture in the process.

I know what you need

Loosen up Iro, little kids dressing up as indians is kind of a compliment in a way. Its making natives into fictional heroes of wonder in a childs mind. That sure as hell will promote them better than a p.c. history book.
What a patronising post.

The day we forget about people's skin color and stop being offended by the smallest things, is the day we will all just be...people.

Peace out and when it comes to Halloween remember all candy is made equal!

Of course bad intentions deserve to be criticised and rejected, but does that automatically make good intentions acceptable (especially if they may not be coming from a place of awareness)? The Washington Post article referenced in the OP illustrates the issue even with good intentions - the author's daughter does want to wear a Native American costume out of genuine fondness for the character, but by the end of the article she does learn that the outfit in question is too special to be worn as a mere Halloween costume. This change isn't achieved through any cartoonish displays of PC outrage but through a demonstration of the culture's importance that speaks to why it shouldn't be treated lightly, creating a greater appreciation of the culture in the process.
I guess. At the end of the day your view and the view of the women who wrote this piece have nothing to do with me so I won't lose any sleep. All the outrage over such things is just starting to get to me more than a little bit. It comes from a good place but feels so misguided and irrational to me. Nothing is more important to me than my faith and I could care less about kids that dress as angels or priests. It wouldn't bother me if my kids wanted to dress as Jesus despite us not being even a little Israeli.

I thought the point of Halloween was you're supposed to dress as something you're not?

Sorry I came off as patronizing Iro. You have to agree though that little kids dressing up as Indians, or whatever isnt like some white guy putting on blackface.

I could care less about kids that dress as angels
Isn't that offensive to supernatural beings?

So if one SJW is bad, we should generalize all the SJW's to be radical about this halloween costume thing. So fighting for equal rights now has gotten dumbed down. like the word triggered is a meme now. it loses its effect. SJW's were always around, and kids have had native american costumes since the 50's. when you were a kid, i bet you didn't mind, but now you do. hypocrisy.

I guess. At the end of the day your view and the view of the women who wrote this piece have nothing to do with me so I won't lose any sleep. All the outrage over such things is just starting to get to me more than a little bit. It comes from a good place but feels so misguided and irrational to me. Nothing is more important to me than my faith and I could care less about kids that dress as angels or priests. It wouldn't bother me if my kids wanted to dress as Jesus despite us not being even a little Israeli.
How convenient for your sleep cycle. In any case, I'm not sure what's so rational about the alternative.

I thought the point of Halloween was you're supposed to dress as something you're not?
Consider the countless racially neutral alternatives first.

Sorry I came off as patronizing Iro. You have to agree though that little kids dressing up as Indians, or whatever isnt like some white guy putting on blackface.
There is a bit of an overlap if both instances are due to actual ignorance, and at least in the case of kids the responsibility falls to the parents or guardians who would determine their choice of costume.

So if one SJW is bad, we should generalize all the SJW's to be radical about this halloween costume thing. So fighting for equal rights now has gotten dumbed down. like the word triggered is a meme now. it loses its effect. SJW's were always around, and kids have had native american costumes since the 50's. when you were a kid, i bet you didn't mind, but now you do. hypocrisy.
This started off agreeable, but after those last couple of lines I'm not so sure what point you're trying to make.

If I had kids I'd dress them up as "SJW's"!
I would not be surprised if this had actually happened at one point.