Happy Halloween! SJW's are whining about 'cultural appropriation'...

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Someone complaining about Halloween costumes is not criticizing a flawed institution. That is their hang ups on costumes. If they don't like them, don't buy them. If they don't want their kids dressing up in said costumes, that is their right as an American. If someone dresses up in an offensive costume (Hitler, Bin Laden, etc) then the issue is not with the costume and the holiday, but the people wearing it.
Considering how there's a whole industry dedicated to producing and selling these costumes, I'd say that it does qualify as an institution that deserves to be criticised. I realise that this isn't necessarily going to stop people from making their own screwed-up costumes (I don't think anyone was selling Trayvon Martin costumes), but that doesn't mean that costume companies should be allowed to get away with upholding such a bad status quo in the name of something as simple as commercial gain. You can say "if you don't like it, don't buy it" all you want, but as I noted in my original post:

I'm also not sure how the "if you don't like it, don't do it" thing applies when it's quite obvious that the only people doing it are the ones who do like it, don't understand the problem, or just don't care.
I don't necessarily think that the people who would buy such costumes are inherently terrible, but I do think that they need to understand the significance of what they are doing. After all, if "if you don't like it, don't buy it" is your argument, then it stands to reason that I should at least be able to argue why it shouldn't be liked or bought to those who have the capacity to comprehend the reason (which discounts OP, obviously). It's not just about the people who wear the costumes, it's about the people who create and sell them too.

I forget who said it, but we should be able to distinguish and articulate not jyst the short answers, but the long answers to questions.

Should abortion be legal?

Should marijuana be legal?

Should we have a death penalty?

Should we have more gun control?

Should we have more border control?

On the campaign trail these questions invariably come down to Yes or No, however all of these topics demand a significant degree of nuance, to the point that an answer in either direction shouldn't pass with some kind of caveats, conditions, or contingencies.

People need to be able to have that conversation and their opinion on one shouldn't inform of their opinion on another.

Another off-topic thing about Halloween - when I was a kid I hated the costumes that were sold.
If it was Batman they'd have the mask, but then on the front of the costume they'd have the word "Batman" and a picture of the character! And I was like, "Wait a minute! Where's the bat emblem? Batman doesn't have his name on his chest and an illustration of himself, he's got a bat emblem!" What character has their own picture on their clothes?

And this went for superhero costumes, cartoon characters, etc. (I never saw Popeye or Mighty Mouse have their name and a picture of themselves on their shirts in any depictions of them... except on Halloween costumes!)

As a kid I always hated the way things were marketed to kids and their parents. And the weird thing is as a kid I could identify this stuff.
(Like, why did the TV cartoon Super Friends need Marvin, Wendy and the half-speaking Wonder Dog? I couldn't "relate" to superheroes without non-powered kids and a talking dog? I watched the show because I wanted to see the superheroes from the comics, not non-powered kids that were somehow supposed to help me "relate". The whole idea made no sense to me.)

Another off-topic thing about Halloween - when I was a kid I hated the costumes that were sold.
If it was Batman they'd have the mask, but then on the front of the costume they'd have the word "Batman" and a picture of the character! And I was like, "Wait a minute! Where's the bat emblem? Batman doesn't have his name on his chest and an illustration of himself, he's got a bat emblem!" What character has their own picture on their clothes?

And this went for superhero costumes, cartoon characters, etc. (I never saw Popeye or Mighty Mouse have their name and a picture of themselves on their shirts!)

As a kid I always hated the way things were marketed to kids and their parents. And the weird thing is as a kid I could identify this stuff.
(Like, why did the TV cartoon Super Friends need Marvin, Wendy and the half-speaking Wonder Dog? I couldn't "relate" to superheroes without non-powered kids and a talking dog? I watched the show because I wanted to see the superheroes from the comics, not non-powered kids that were somehow supposed to help me "relate". The whole idea made no sense to me.)
Oh, I remember those pathetic rinky dink come in a $5 plastic package halloween costumes. I had one that was "The Spider" which was a broken assed attempt at Spider-Man, just sad. Like in the Eddie Murphy Delirious concert and the burger his Mom made him was supposed to be as good as McDonalds. THATs what those costumes were.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
In an aside; I used to freeze paintballs prior to 'Mischief Night' (the day after Halloween) and then lay in a hide in or around my parents property, wearing a ghillie suit to 'snipe' the egg throwers....

There are few things more fun then watching a frozen paintball shatter an egg-throwers entire carton...except for when I hit one of them in the chest with a slightly de-frosted red paint-ball and he moaned/screamed as though he thought he was dying

Great childhood memories!!!
Note, Use Draxxus brand, they freeze harder

Considering how there's a whole industry dedicated to producing and selling these costumes, I'd say that it does qualify as an institution that deserves to be criticised. I realise that this isn't necessarily going to stop people from making their own screwed-up costumes (I don't think anyone was selling Trayvon Martin costumes), but that doesn't mean that costume companies should be allowed to get away with upholding such a bad status quo in the name of something as simple as commercial gain. You can say "if you don't like it, don't buy it" all you want, but as I noted in my original post:

I don't necessarily think that the people who would buy such costumes are inherently terrible, but I do think that they need to understand the significance of what they are doing. After all, if "if you don't like it, don't buy it" is your argument, then it stands to reason that I should at least be able to argue why it shouldn't be liked or bought to those who have the capacity to comprehend the reason (which discounts OP, obviously). It's not just about the people who wear the costumes, it's about the people who create and sell them too.

So how do you feel about people dressing up as serial killers and the like?

So how do you feel about people dressing up as serial killers and the like?
Fictional serial killers should be okay within reason, but real-life ones would be pushing it a bit too far.

Yea! I say ban all non PC Halloween costumes. Wait a minute....Halloween itself offends some, let's ban it....Wait another minute, the miniature candy makers would be offended if it was banned.... We better keep Halloween, as profits are all American!

Fictional serial killers should be okay within reason, but real-life ones would be pushing it a bit too far.
So you would be ok with a fictional native American costume?

What, like The Manitou with Tony Curtis? Good movie

Not if it's going to get worn by a non-Native. What does this have to do with serial killers?

yeah the only way sean's question makes sense would be if the reason you wouldn't wear a costume based on a real serial killer was because you didn't want to offend other serial killers, which i don't believe is the case.
criticker

Not if it's going to get worn by a non-Native.
You're against people wearing Native American Halloween costumes if they're not Native American themselves?

Not if it's going to get worn by a non-Native. What does this have to do with serial killers?
My point is don't you think people would be offended by glorifying violence, especially if they have violence in their history. Maybe the question would work better if I asked about a kid dressing as a soldier. Should soldiers be offended? I'm just confused by how any of this is offensive. This is someone this little girl wanted to emulate. If it is because it is a group that was marginalized, would it be ok for an African-American girl to dress as a native American. How about cowboys, police officers. If we are telling little white girls they shouldn't emulate native Americans aren't we sending them a message opposite of acceptance of all races?

yeah the only way sean's question makes sense would be if the reason you wouldn't wear a costume based on a real serial killer was because you didn't want to offend other serial killers, which i don't believe is the case.
That is correct. In the case of real serial killers it would be more likely to offend victims/survivors and their loved ones than other serial killers, plus it plays into the whole cult of personality that can build up around them and that's just not good for society.

You're against people wearing Native American Halloween costumes if they're not Native American themselves?
Yes.

This is why I'm voting Trump.

This.

These people think they're being shocking. In the past, people tried to open all possible doors to do something shocking and outrageous. Now all the doors are open, so they're trying to CLOSE all the doors to be shocking.

This is why I'm voting Trump.

This.
LOL! What the hell does Trump of all people, have to do with people that "get it" or dont? Ohmygosh!