The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Bought Ori and the Blind Forest at 40% off.

Even though it's in a genre I've never been fond of, the game's had so much praise that I wouldn't be much of a gamer if I don't at least give it a good try.

Well, Ori's very nice. Beautiful looking game and one which knows precisely the correct heart strings at which to tug but it's a Metroidvania at heart and my patience with traipsing back and forth across maps in those things has never been strong.

Seems to be around 10 hours in length - I've played an hour and done 11% ... and died 43 times.

150 times less than my mate who's completed 20%, however. The difficulty ramps up or, as I've long suspected, he's crap at games.

Not sure if any gamers in here are going to PAX Prime at the end of August, but if so, lemme know: I'll be working the SpyParty booth, so we can say hey.

If anyone else here are PS3 Gamers, I suggest you play this. I'm not going to do a review of it because I don't think you do reviews here but its a great game.

Batman: Arkham Knight reviews.

IGN 9.2
Polygon 10
Gamespot 7
Gamesradar 4/5
GameReactor UK 9
Game Informer 9.5
VideoGamer 10/10
USGamer 4/5
Video games zone (Germany) 87%
Meristation (Spain) 9.3
AusGamers (Australia) 10
GameBlog (France) 4.5
Multiplayer (Italy) 9.6

there's a frog in my snake oil

If anyone else here are PS3 Gamers, I suggest you play this. I'm not going to do a review of it because I don't think you do reviews here but its a great game.
Review plz

A system of cells interlinked

I ended up borrowing a PS3 just to play this. Alas, I just wasn't over the moon for it like so many seem to be. It was definitely written really well, and had some good characterization, but the game play was just not well done, IMO. The combat got old really fast, and the sort of "move-the-plank-around" light puzzle aspect ended up being tedious for me. I never finished the game, as I eventually just stopped going back to play, and my friend noticed the system collecting dust and asked for it and the game disc back.

I guess I should read a plot summary to see how it ends, as the story was somewhat interesting, but it didn't seem well done enough to keep slogging thorough the lame combat sections.

As for doing a game review, feel free to do a review! Just make sure to mark story spoilers etc. if you include plot elements.

Batman: Arkham Knight reviews.

IGN 9.2
Polygon 10
Gamespot 7
Gamesradar 4/5
GameReactor UK 9
Game Informer 9.5
VideoGamer 10/10
USGamer 4/5
Video games zone (Germany) 87%
Meristation (Spain) 9.3
AusGamers (Australia) 10
GameBlog (France) 4.5
Multiplayer (Italy) 9.6
I've seen various kinds of reviews for this. Mostly positive. Can't wait to play this next week.

I'd like to apologize for the amount of spoilers but they were necessary.

The Last Of Us is one of the best games I've ever played in my entire life. This game handles some difficult material. Last Of Us will provide excellent results if you watch all the cut scenes, be in a silent room and gather all the emotions the game delivers you won't regret anything.

You play as Joel Miller, a single middle aged father raising one daughter. During this prologue, her daughter Sarah buys him a watch on his birthday which plays a big part later in the game. Later during the beginning, Joel disappears and you take the control of Sarah.
When the zombie infection blossoms, Joel grabs Sarah and gets picked up by his brother Tommy. While on the ride away from their house, they get into a collision. When this occurred, Sarah hurt her leg so Joel carried her down to this ravine.
WARNING: spoilers below
You come across a soldier, he is aiming his gun at you. The soldier is commanded to shoot you, surprisingly you dogged it but your daughter Sarah got shot right in her chest. Sarah dies in Joel's arms.

20 years pass, now the whole country is in militarized zones. Joel wakes up with his girlfriend Tess walking in the room to see her being injured. Throughout the first chapter,
you're finding a man who has a supply of guns that you bought and paid for. However he sold it to the Fireflies, a mercenary rebel group that is fighting the military. After this, you come across the leader and she makes a deal with you. The leader wants you to smuggle a girl named Ellie
by the way she is the cure
out of the city and help find a cure. Couple of chapters later, you reach this building and
Joel's girlfriend Tess gets infected, then gunned down by the military.
Joel now has taken full responsibility to get her across state lines. When they reach Pittsburgh, they meet two other survivors. Henry and Sam are two brothers who have tried to get out and find the Fireflies, so you two accompany them.
Sadly, Henry's brother Sam gets bitten and Henry commits suicide in remorse.
When the game gets towards the climax,
Joel gets heavily injured by being impaled by a metal pole, so Ellie takes care of him.
The relationship between these two tugged at my heartstrings, they become so adorable and co-dependent that it makes this game so enjoyable.Throughout one of the latest chapters, you're controlling Ellie during a harsh and cruel winter because of Joel's incident. Ellie meets a man named David which at the beginning, he seems to be real nice and calm but
later you realize he's a cannibal and he becomes your actual last and first boss. When you finally beat David, he tries to rape Ellie but she gets the upper hand and bludgeoned him to death with a machete
. Joel comes in and comforts her and wipes her tears away. This game is intense because of the varied zombies you encounter and the human gangs you come across. Heavily recommended to play either on easy or normal the first time. This game perfectly depicts the teenage phases of maturity and hits on some pretty serious issues throughout a persons life. Heavily filled with sexuality, family issues, and basic teenage angst. For me it made me to want to have a daughter. Joel treats Ellie at first pretty harshly but, it blossoms into a very beautiful and loving relationship. The script is amazing and there are no absolute dull moments. There are especially power ups and you gather more weapons along the way. If you haven't played the ending yet, you may not wanna read this part.
When the last part of the game comes to a close and you reach the fireflies camp,they have to kill her to get the vaccine. Joel won't allow Ellie to die so basically you go in there guns blazing and take Ellie to safety.
The ending is amazing and you'll be dumbfounded and entranced. This game is by far one of the best stories ever told on a video game and heres my ratings. Also when you beat the game, theres online multiplayer thats quite entertaining. I heavily consider getting this game if you're into a good story and a fan of zombie apocalypses.

Graphics:

Multiplayer:

Script:

Voice Acting:

Last day of the Steam sale today and they've re-upped a lot of the daily deals.

Picked up Homeworld Remastered for 60% off. Never been a big RTS fan but Homeworld was an exception and apparently the remake is one of the best out there.

Anyone after Arkham Knight on PC? I wasn't going to bite until I'd seen a healthy discount but saw this deal on Reddit.

I've only used GamesPlanet once before, according to my account, but they get good reviews and are a proper Steam reseller and not one of those grey market sites which I'm not touching again. The Reddit comments say that they serial is region free.

£21.99

It's pre-loading.

A system of cells interlinked
Grabbed FF VII for like 5 dollars and threw some HD mods at it. This game still has some charm, even if the backgrounds look really rough. The characterization with Aerith and Cloud starts strong and keeps you interested, although the dialogue is sophomoric and immature at times.The upgraded models and effects look a bit daft against the low-res backdrops. If only I could get those looking better...

The ATB was jarring at first, as games have moved on from such systems, but I found myself getting into the action after a while. I also find myself dreading a certain death already, even though i have yet to escape Midgar.

Oh god, what are Encore deals? I thought I'd made it safely to the other side!...

---

That's a pretty neat steal T.

Something about the Batman franchise makes me wanna hold off until I can get em for a song, but I do like the idea of having the run of an open world Gotham. Let us know how it goes

---

Quite enjoying my pre-sale snatch of Chivalry. It's my online heart-raiser of choice at the mo, although I suspect it won't have great legs. (Partially because they'll be cut out from under it repeatedly, in Monty Python fashion )

Currently it's still fun to start each raid in a cacophony of team yells though, and unlocking new weapons brings genuine new ways to exploit other's defences (and to flail horribly and ineffectively ). There are definitely limits to the nuance, but it's satisfying to get engaged with an evenly-matched opponent and come out on top. Even running an uber-skilled one close is cool. I've got enough of a handle on the basics that I can run around blatting my fellow Steam noobs in the free-for-all mode too, which is actually quite enjoyable lunancy now (limbs pirouetting evvvverywhere). But the real challenge is in the team maps, where you have to pick your blow carefully, as 'friendly fire' is definitely a thing

Add in easy class-switching to deal with how the battle's flowing, and plenty of encouragements to work as a team, and it's definitely my kind of online anarchy

In short, loving the pluses of PC gaming right now. Getting an online game for pennies, with a recently invigorated community (IE fellow noobs to bounce off ), and a big ole back-catalogue of maps etc all in place, makes for a great experience

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Well, I got some nice deals out of this Summer Sale. Darkest Hour, Civilization V, Total War: Rome II,Resident Evil 4 HD, The Orange Box. Having final exams stopped me from playing for a month so there is a lot of catching up to do, I still have 6th chapter of RE5 to finish, I barely touched Dark Souls and didn't even try Alan Wake... This will be fun.

Oo, first time playing Portal and the HL2 series K?

Don't want to overplay it, as some have found Half Life dated, but get your best audio set-up ready and you should be in for a treat

Only HL game I played is expansion Opposing Force (?). I plan to get all of them over time. I don't have problem with dated games if they are good and playable, I'm Resident Evil fan after all.

Only HL game I played is expansion Opposing Force (?). I plan to get all of them over time. I don't have problem with dated games if they are good and playable, I'm Resident Evil fan after all.
Ah ok cool, well in that case you should have a ball

There's a slow build to it, and the physics puzzles etc are more familiar to modern eyes, but it's still a great bit of storified action all told. You should enjoy the low-ammo zombie-esque sections I suspect

(God I still remember hurling a radiator in desperation before jumping out of a window. Fricking made it too )

Ah ok cool, well in that case you should have a ball

There's a slow build to it, and the physics puzzles etc are more familiar to modern eyes, but it's still a great bit of storified action all told. You should enjoy the low-ammo zombie-esque sections I suspect

(God I still remember hurling a radiator in desperation before jumping out of a window. Fricking made it too )
Just one thing, I love good story, so is it better to play HL1 first? Or maybe I should change it to, is it important for my understanding of the story?

Just one thing, I love good story, so is it better to play HL1 first? Or maybe I should change it to, is it important for my understanding of the story?
I actually couldn't play it coz I found it too dated

(Tried out the old PS2 version. Just found the graphics and jump mechanic too unbearable )

I know some of the others here have played the full series though and could tell you more.

Personally I found the story arc of 2 (and all the bonus chapters) very effective in their own right. (It did feel a bit odd that our character had nigh mysterious-hero status already, but apparently that feels odd even if you've played the first installments )