The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Nah, I'm hoovering up as many of the side quests as I can. My main complaint so far is the map - The waypoint system they have isn't great and I'd love to be able to set my own.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Been beavering away on a tutorial vid for my daft Minecraft 'game'...

---

Damn tempted by some Dark Souls 2 now I've got a meaty PC, or possibly a cheapo shot at at Dark Souls 1. Unfortunately I have no time, nor money :S (Damn BRIC countries flooding Youtube with vids but no advertising revenue - I coulda been a millionaire I tells ya )

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
So I tried getting into the Metal Gear Solid series. I just can't. They're honestly the most overrated games I've ever played. The gameplay is clunky at best, there's no variety in the environment, the campy nature underscores the serious tone of the story (which is ridiculous in its own right), and the writing commits sins that, as a writer, cause me great pain. I can see the appeal, but I don't have to like it.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Nah, I'm hoovering up as many of the side quests as I can. My main complaint so far is the map - The waypoint system they have isn't great and I'd love to be able to set my own.
If you get the radio you can teleport to places you've already visited. But, yeah, the map is a real disaster in DP.

That Civilization video looks good but I wonder how the gameplay will look.

So I tried getting into the Metal Gear Solid series. I just can't. They're honestly the most overrated games I've ever played. The gameplay is clunky at best, there's no variety in the environment, the campy nature underscores the serious tone of the story (which is ridiculous in its own right), and the writing commits sins that, as a writer, cause me great pain. I can see the appeal, but I don't have to like it.
Which games are you talking about? 1 is a bit outdated and clunky but I found it fun to play when I revisited it a few months ago. 2 I didn't like because of the limited setting on the ship but some people loved it. 3 I thought was fantastic, one of the all-time great games, with the outdoor settings, fun boss fights, clean and fluid gameplay. The stories may be a bit silly but I didn't find they marred the games in any substantive way. Haven't played the other ones so...

Which games are you talking about? 1 is a bit outdated and clunky but I found it fun to play when I revisited it a few months ago. 2 I didn't like because of the limited setting on the ship but some people loved it. 3 I thought was fantastic, one of the all-time great games, with the outdoor settings, fun boss fights, clean and fluid gameplay. The stories may be a bit silly but I didn't find they marred the games in any substantive way. Haven't played the other ones so...
I've played all of them up to 4. I just can't forgive the excessive exposition, needless fourth wall breaks, and the campy nature. It's trying to be a serious story about modern militarization heaped in conspiracy theories that Jesse Ventura would be proud of, but the silliness undercuts what is overall an interesting premise. The gameplay in all the games isn't exactly fluid for me, even in MGS3. Having to hold down so many buttons just to use some items and make simple movements is pretty annoying. And also, the excessive amount of cutscenes make them feel more like movies than games, with MGS4 being the biggest offender with an hour long cutscene somewhere within the game. One hour is time I'd rather spend playing a game, not watching a cutscene with no interactivity whatsoever.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I don't remember 3 having excessive or overly long cut scenes. 4 apparently did and many criticized it for being an interactive movie. As to the narrative, many games have inane aspects--they're games after all--and many become convoluted messes. (I often feel that game developers take themselves to be real writers when they aren't and they'd do better to bring in some real talent to shape and deliver their narrative ideas.) I never felt that MGS--at least up to 3--was taking itself too seriously considering bosses that could fire ricocheting bullets, throw bee swarms at you, fall asleep when hunting you (one of the great boss battles of all time that old sniper who snored!!!) the Snake Eater theme song, etc. Many people have MGS3 as one of their all-time favorites but to each his own.

Welcome to the human race...
You've reminded me that I had the same problem. There are several games that save by date that've given me that problem as I always unplug my 360 when not using it. Enjoy Infinite and would like to hear your thoughts when you finish, though be careful with spoilers as I know at least Tacitus hasn't finished it.
Well, I finished Infinite last night. Pretty good for the most part and I liked how ambitious the storytelling got in the third act (just as well, since the original BioShock had a relatively uncomplicated third act and suffered slightly for it).

I just can't forgive the excessive exposition, needless fourth wall breaks, and the campy nature. It's trying to be a serious story about modern militarization heaped in conspiracy theories that Jesse Ventura would be proud of, but the silliness undercuts what is overall an interesting premise.
This is precisely why I love the MGS series.

Kojima is as much of an auteur as, say, Woody Allen so I get why people don't like his work but the gaming world would be a much drabber place without him in it. I've never liked anything Tim Schafer's done but can see why he's so venerated.

MGS4 went too far for some but I still loved it. That final battle? Man, that'll stay with me.

Bought the Shadowrun Returns expansion last night (Mastermetal, if you're into your writing, check out Shadowrun) and was pleasantly surprised that they've overhauled the base game as well. Better textures, better camera and much better scaling for the UI.

That and The Banner Saga have become two of my favourite RPGs in a long time.

Also bought 10,000,000 because 79p on the Humble Store. It's like a less polished Puzzle Quest.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Well, I finished Infinite last night. Pretty good for the most part and I liked how ambitious the storytelling got in the third act (just as well, since the original BioShock had a relatively uncomplicated third act and suffered slightly for it).
A fine game all around, although that one supernatural aspect seemed terribly misplaced. Ending, of course, was quite a ride.

A system of cells interlinked
I grabbed Metro 2033 for a few bucks at some point, and after getting home from PAX East, I was able to actually spend a bit of time playing a video game! Pretty cool game, although at times it feels like a more limited Fallout 3, just set in Moscow instead of DC. However, the similarities end there, as Metro is more of a scripted event set piece driven game, lacking the immersive open world. The game nails the spooky atmosphere, and the challenge has been decent so far!

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
MGS 3 theme song for J̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶B̶o̶n̶d̶ Snake. This song always amuses me.

Glad you enjoyed Infinite. One of my new all-time favorites alongside the original BioShock (can't pick which one I like better). I loved the final act of Infinte at least, though there are plenty of people who hated it as well. I hated the ending of the original game. I think it lost all its momentum after the big WTF scene everyone knows about.

Not yet, wondering if it's too short a game to bother.
Yeah, the pricing of it is very strange. It's basically a paid advert for MGS5 with what looks like pointers towards the main game's differing mechanics.

The only comparison I can make is with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and that seemed like a rushed stopgap for fans because GT5 was taking so long in development.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Not yet, wondering if it's too short a game to bother.
Not sure where you live but in my area we have Redbox vending machines that carry mostly films but some games as well. So for $2 i can get Ground Zeroes and, depending on the specific time I rent it, hold it for close to two full days.

Welcome to the human race...
A fine game all around, although that one supernatural aspect seemed terribly misplaced. Ending, of course, was quite a ride.
Which supernatural aspect, exactly?

Glad you enjoyed Infinite. One of my new all-time favorites alongside the original BioShock (can't pick which one I like better). I loved the final act of Infinte at least, though there are plenty of people who hated it as well. I hated the ending of the original game. I think it lost all its momentum after the big WTF scene everyone knows about.
Pretty much, yeah.

The Bioshock series will never leave my heart but it has that kind of design that's a real bore to play it for the second,third,or fourth time. If you ever head onto my profile I'm a huge AW Fan. Alan Wake is one my addictions but sadly I sold my xbox and bought a Ps3.

I've been playing skyrim for the past months and got glued to the storytelling and the whole norse mythology. I just finished cutting the heads off of the imperials after we raided Solitude and rained supreme.I wish I could actually have something that I could relax and settle down in a home but these darn adventures and my gold constantly diminishing..I don't have time..is there any advice to get a lot of gold quickly.