Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Prisoners by Denis Villeneuve

AWESOME . completely awesome thriller/drame/kidnapping movie ! Jake Gyllenhaal is so damn badass in his role of Detective Loki . Amazing casting , amazing story and very shocking movie . Brief , it's a must !

9.1/10

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

I don't generally like fantasy but I liked this one. The 2nd good movie I've seen from this director with The Devil's Backbone.

Witness for the Prosecution (1957)

2nd viewing and I enjoyed it as much as the first time. I especially love Charles Laughton in it. My wife liked it too.

After 5 days in Dallas trying to secure work after the Army, I needed to unwind. And that meant a triple feature at the local movie theater!

First up...

(rewatch)

Still awesome!

Second

Look I am a big football guy and I love the Draft, but this was not exactly thrilling drama here. Granted I listened to a review that had spoilers in it, but even then I should have liked this more then I should have.

Finally

The first movie was a sleek streamlined action flick. This is still heavy on the action, but tries to go the way of a The Departed or Internal Affairs. Not that such a choice is bad, it felt a tad cluttered at times and it does not do it as well as Scorsese. Still good, but I still prefer the first one.

Cricket, just saw Witness For the Prosecution for the first time and I agree that it was brilliant. They gave Tyrone Power and Marlene Dietrich top billing but this was Charles Laughton's movie all the way. He is brilliant as an ailing barrister who defends Power in court, often berated by his pushy nurse, played by Elsa Lancaster. This movie is two-hours-long but never flags at all. There are several twists that I did not see coming and they only add to the movie. Just top-drawer all the way. This one gets high marks all-around and is very recommended.

The Queen of Versailles

Documentary that is guaranteed to annoy anybody who actually has to work for a living. It follows the Siegel family who have made their money by selling some quite dubious real estate plans and then living off their customers mortgages (something like that - finance is not my speciality). With that money the Siegel's plan to build America's largest house modeled on the Palace of Versailles, however after the financial crisis of 2008 their business is seriously affected. Watch in horror as they have to give up their dream of Versailles, sell their private jets and deal with only one nanny. As you can guess this film really bugged me, they are complaining about how they are hard up and having to buy things from Walmart, but they are still living in the lap of luxury - whilst the layoff of almost their entire workforce is more or less dismissed. I dread to think what this film would have been like if there had been no financial crash - it would probably have been them showing off their tacky sleaze palace for 2 hours.

They finally brought this movie to Killeen! No longer do I need to drive to Austin to see this! And wouldn't you know it, it was better the second time around. I got to pay more attention to some of the background details and marvel at the beautiful models and matte paintings.

Paper Moon (1973)

This unexpectedly grew on me more and more as it went on. Tatum and Ryan O'Neal were excellent and it's a really sweet movie. I prefer it over the more acclaimed 70's movie set during the same time period-The Sting. I hope it makes the 70's list, although it won't quite make mine.

To be honest I did not hate this movie, I really liked the beginning of it, but it got way worse near the end.
+

Muppets: Most Wanted

I am a Muppets fan (not a major one) and after the 2011 "The Muppets" I was a bit hesitant to watch this as I didn't not really enjoy it that much. I was pleasantly surprised I liked characters (other than the main Muppets) the cameo's were also enjoyable. If you are a Muppets fan you will most likely love this movie but even if you are not it isn't too bad of a movie I laughed a few times.

3.75/5 Stars

Captain America: The Winter Solider, 4.9/5. I just loved this movie. It's the best one to come out either Avengers wave yet. It looked great, the acting was amazing, I didn't know Falcon was going to be in it and I loved every second of it. The reason it gets -.1 though is because they talked about getting Falcon's suit back and didn't show anything about it happening. I get that they may have wanted to skip showing us even more action in an already action heavy film, but at least show us something about it. I'm a little torn about that whole bit but I'm leaning more towards not liking that, hence the minus.

One of my favorite things about this film is that it managed to break away from all the typical military stereotypes that plague so many other films while still having a lot of military influence. I think it was also fun for me because it seemed like I knew the most about the characters based on the comics throughout the entire theater. I was surprised how many people didn't know what role bucky played.

Everything about this film was pretty much incredible and having quicksilver and Scarlet witch at the end got me so hyped for what's too come. I have other movies I want to see, but really this is one I might go see again. It was just too amazing.

Unregistered User

Carnival of Souls (1962) -

Taken 2 -

House by the Cemetery (1981) -
+

Decent effort by Lucio Fulci. Lots of gore and screaming but the hardest thing to watch was the acting, particularly from the kid, Bob. Still, worth a watch.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

It's hard to rate a movie like this because I know it's my problem that I can't fully get into it. I got some chills from it, but overall it's just too old for me. Ultimately, my rating has to reflect what I got out of it, and that wasn't a whole lot. It's better suited for someone who can fully appreciate it.

Running Scared - 7/10
Doom - 4/10
Clerks II - 8/10
Pirates 2 - 7/10
Superman Returns - 8/10

Wow, you really liked Superman Returns a lot more than I did. My review of the film:

Supermen Returns is the long awaited revival of the comic book hero to the big screen since he first arrived back in 1978. This gargantuan 2006 production finds our Superhero returning to Metropolis, the Daily Planet, and Lois Lane after an extended absence in which Superman apparently returned to Krypton to confirm the destruction of the planet of his birth. Upon his return to Metropolis, Clark Kent finds his old job back at the Daily Planet, finds out that Lex Luthor is back on the loose after five years in prison and that Lois Lane is engaged and has a child.

Director and co-writer Bryan Singer has mounted this production with a great deal of care and attention to detail. He seems to have been attempting to revive the spirit of the original 1978 film, as certain dialogue, settings, and music have been lifted and re-thought from the 1978 film (including Superman and Lois' romantic flight over Metropolis to "Can You Read My Mind?") but it all rings hollow for me because the film is lacking the primary ingredient that made the 1978 film so successful...humor.

Singer has directed this film with a totally straight face. It is dark, bleak, and humorless, the only exception to that being the deliciously campy performance from Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. Taking the humor out of the story also affects its pacing giving us a long and laborious film that offers state of the art special effects but not much else.

The casting ranges from OK to completely off the mark. Brandon Routh is sincere as Clark Kent/Superman and his resemblance to the late Christopher Reeve doesn't exactly work against him. Kate Bosworth is bland and unconvincing as Lois Lane...the emotional spitfire that Margot Kidder created back in 78 looks better and better after this tired interpretation of the role. Frank Langella is miscast as Perry White as is Sam Huntington as Jimmy Olsen and James Marsden fails to bring any spark to the proceedings as Richard White, Perry's nephew and Lois' fiancée. Even the normally charismatic Parker Posey fails to liven the proceedings as Luthor's new mistress, Kitty.

I also found it hard to accept the fact that Lois could fall in love with anyone else, much less have a child with him. The whole idea of Lois falling in love with another man works against the entire legend of these two characters and may be at the crux of why this this movie doesn't work.

Wow, you really liked Superman Returns a lot more than I did. My review of the film:

Supermen Returns is the long awaited revival of the comic book hero to the big screen since he first arrived back in 1978. This gargantuan 2006 production finds our Superhero returning to Metropolis, the Daily Planet, and Lois Lane after an extended absence in which Superman apparently returned to Krypton to confirm the destruction of the planet of his birth. Upon his return to Metropolis, Clark Kent finds his old job back at the Daily Planet, finds out that Lex Luthor is back on the loose after five years in prison and that Lois Lane is engaged and has a child.

Director and co-writer Bryan Singer has mounted this production with a great deal of care and attention to detail. He seems to have been attempting to revive the spirit of the original 1978 film, as certain dialogue, settings, and music have been lifted and re-thought from the 1978 film (including Superman and Lois' romantic flight over Metropolis to "Can You Read My Mind?") but it all rings hollow for me because the film is lacking the primary ingredient that made the 1978 film so successful...humor.

Singer has directed this film with a totally straight face. It is dark, bleak, and humorless, the only exception to that being the deliciously campy performance from Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. Taking the humor out of the story also affects its pacing giving us a long and laborious film that offers state of the art special effects but not much else.

The casting ranges from OK to completely off the mark. Brandon Routh is sincere as Clark Kent/Superman and his resemblance to the late Christopher Reeve doesn't exactly work against him. Kate Bosworth is bland and unconvincing as Lois Lane...the emotional spitfire that Margot Kidder created back in 78 looks better and better after this tired interpretation of the role. Frank Langella is miscast as Perry White as is Sam Huntington as Jimmy Olsen and James Marsden fails to bring any spark to the proceedings as Richard White, Perry's nephew and Lois' fiancée. Even the normally charismatic Parker Posey fails to liven the proceedings as Luthor's new mistress, Kitty.

I also found it hard to accept the fact that Lois could fall in love with anyone else, much less have a child with him. The whole idea of Lois falling in love with another man works against the entire legend of these two characters and may be at the crux of why this this movie doesn't work.

But Lois didn't have child with another man. Watch the film again...

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Fincher keeps proving why he's the best in the business.

8/10

9/10

I've seen countless of times and it always seems to amaze me. These issues about racial fighting and the illegal aliens coming in. This movie was made 1998 ! and it insanely relates to every topic that's detrimental to our society. The acting was truly magnificent. The character Derek was disgusting but Edward played him so well, racism and Nazi sympathy has been around since the demise of the Hitler. The movie plays so well on the society as a whole. The small neighberhood. I'm going on a tangent so I'll leave it. anyway.s long hiatus..hello anyone who remembers my name.