Hellboy Best Marvel Yet?

→ in
Tools    

HELLBOY, the most recent movie to come into my line of vision and yet its one of my favorites of all time. Heres my review...
Action packed and full of suspense, this movie kept me interested from the opening creds to the last seconds of the movie. The plot was a little blury at first but then as the movie went on the big picture hits you in the face like BAM! Then before you knew it the punches started flying as your mind was trapped in a beat 'em up blow em up action film.
The movie was based around a story that basically was this: The Nazis of WWII became so desperate that they decided that they would bring a giant monster of destruction from another dimension to destroy the earth and everything on it. They were unsucessful the first time around but thats when Hellboy comes in, he is captured by the cia as an infant and is raised to be a fun loving bad ass of a good guy who in turn fights monster crime and such. The remaning nazis resurect one of the leading nazi genrals who in turn bring these beats from hell to kill off all people who threaten them. Hell boy beats them up and kills the giant monster at the end and gets the girl. When it all comes down the basics, the special fx werr awsome and the character design was almost an exact replica to the DARK HORSE comic book. In other terms go see this movie.

I thought Hellboy was a Dark Horse comic, and...

USE SPOILER TAGS!!!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Yes, if Hellboy was originally (or ever) a Marvel Comic, indeed it would be a good adaptation of one. But, as Slaytan has already informed you, Hellboy is from the Dark Horse Comics universe.

Dark Horse Comics
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I DO INDEED UNDERSTAND THAT HELLBOY WAS FROM THE DARK HORSE COMIC UNIVERSE THANK YOU FOR CORRECTING ME BUT IT STILL WAS AN AWSOME MOVIE THAT WAS MY MAIN POINT..KNOWING I HAVE NEVER READ A DARKHORSE COMIC I WOULDN'T REALLY KNOW.

When it all comes down the basics, the special fx were awsome and the character design was almost an exact replica to the [DARK HORSE] comic book.
- sunkist44
KNOWING I HAVE NEVER READ A DARKHORSE COMIC I WOULDN'T REALLY KNOW.
- sunkist44
Indeed. I look forward to marveling at your future comments about things you don't know about.

A system of cells interlinked

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Indeed. I look forward to marveling at your future comments about things you don't know about.
Ouch

But then again I always hear that kind of stuf about movies and not being a fan of movies that are made from comic books. Well excert for Batman!
I will have to say that I don't plan to see this movie at all even if it on video.
The trailer I give two stars!See you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

Phew, i absolutley loved this movie.

I had never really read hellboy, until about a week before i saw the movie. I picked up the Seed of Destruction book and a few others, read them over, and after seeing the movie i dont think they could have done a better job. Casting, in my opionion, was perfect. And i LOVED how they didnt overuse a CGI hellboy, keepin it real.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally Posted by Jackie Malfoy
But then again I always hear that kind of stuf about movies and not being a fan of movies that are made from comic books. Well excert for Batman!
I will have to say that I don't plan to see this movie at all even if it on video.
The trailer I give two stars!See you around!JM
I disagree with your friend with all of my heart, and I urge you to see it yourself. This is a great movie.

my name is buck and im here to f**k
I saw this movie 2 weeks ago and it was cool.The main thing I liked was you didn't have to know alot about the comic to enjoy the film,It also felt like I was reading a comic through the movie which worked perfectly.
4 of 5

The Green Lantern
I did not like it. I thought it had no plotline. It appeared that the characters were just tossed up on the screen and let them go about thier own way. Poor character development. The humor was good and Hellboy's costume was great. Abe was good.
Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might.
Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light"

--Green Lantern Oath--

"The Green Lantern Corps has battled against the forces of evil and chaos for a millennium. To serve is the ultimate honor."

Originally Posted by GL2814
I did not like it....It appeared that the characters were just tossed up on the screen and let them go about thier own way. Poor character development. The humor was good and Hellboy's costume was great. Abe was good.

That's your opinion which is fine, everybody has their own. I think in order for you to literally enjoy the film you have really know the story of Hellboy. The film told it perfectly.

Originally Posted by GL2814
It thought it had no plotline.
Every movie has a plot. And this movie's plot is literally in your face.

Where in the world do I post this? Its not an "upcoming movie" here, and I dont want to be redundant in the "general movie review" thread. Please forgive and move it if I have erred!

Hellboy 8/10
Im always the last one to see anything, so Im sure this rant (certainly cant be called a "review" of the caliber MoFo is accustomed to, but bear with my blatherings!) is very, very late. What can be said?

I just saw this film, and I have to say, it was well worth the effort. If you havent seen it, go rent it. Id rate this movie a 10/10 generally, but I only gave it an 8/10 because the plot line was quite simple.

It was actually cute, if I can be allowed to say that about a super-scary (supposedly ) demon film.

Ron Perlman aka Hellboy

Ron Perlman is this super muscular, Herculean type demon from the "other side," raised by a Catholic to be the US Government's last stand against the forces of darkness. And there, in the midst of all the demon fighting, and cloak and dagger, is a 60 year old man, trying to figure out how to get the girl he loves.

Elizabeth the Firestarter

Only she's not having it. Prone to explode in flames when she is angry, Liz can level a bubilding with her fury. And how. And does. This aint no Halle Berry "Storm" scenario, either.

---------SPOLIERS AHEAD-----

One of the angles this film took that I liked was the whole relationship angle between the Firestarter and Hellboy. The two obviously care for each other, but cannot be together because of Liz's refusal to accept what she is. In her quest to "fit in" with normal society, she ends up in an Insane Asylum. She is able to exert such a control over her errant abilities, that she feels safe there; normal, even. And she can assimilate into society because she looks normal, as opposed to Hellboy, who looks like a freak of nature. As he watches her relationship with the FBI agent John progress, he goes from jealously to understanding resignation--she can only be normal without him.

It's classic. Its cliched. But its cute! I enjoyed the evolution of their characters: his from an impulsive, immature young man; hers from an insecure, unsure girl. Ultimately, they were perfect for each other. Did you see that kiss? She would have burned John to a crisp! At least Hellboy was fireproof!

------END SPOILERS----------

I must say, there were a lot of plot gaps, as I wont go so far as to say "holes."

A couple of connections/points/questions:

1) Do they mean to say, that you are what you are socialized to be? Therefore a demon from Hell can be raised to be a Savioir of mankind?
2) Did what Hellboy was make Professor Broom God, or god-like?
3) If all of them came through that portal and got discovered at some later date, cant we assume that there may be others out there?
4) How exactly did Ilsa become timeless/immortal??? Even Rasputin had to "die" and be reborn! And that sick doctor was a puppet---but I dont find that they properly explained Ilsa's existence.
5) They never quite explain WHY Hellboy is the "key"? Why him and not another?

And the list goes on.

HellBoy (d. Guillermo del Toro, 2004) 6/10

It was pretty good but not my favorite and not the best

HellBoy 2(2006) was announced maybe someone should start a new thread?
same director and writer. Lol there the same person.

I'm sick of Region 1 getting films before Region 2, it just ain't fair. Hellboy hasn't even been released in cinema's here in England. It will be though, September I think. I've heard rumours that there's gonna be a Director's cut coming soon too. Anyone else know for sure?

Originally Posted by Parky
I'm sick of Region 1 getting films before Region 2, it just ain't fair. Hellboy hasn't even been released in cinema's here in England. It will be though, September I think. I've heard rumours that there's gonna be a Director's cut coming soon too. Anyone else know for sure?
yeah- later this year. Theres an insert in the Hellboy DVD about it, it looks alright.

I See You When You're Sleeping
I didn't really think much of it. It had no character development whatsoever. I didn't think much of any of the characters, especially Selma Blair.

It was a 'fun' movie, just that. Certainly not the best 'super hero' type about. I'd go with Spiderman 2 or Blade.

Originally Posted by MinionTV
I didn't really think much of it. It had no character development whatsoever. I didn't think much of any of the characters, especially Selma Blair.

It was a 'fun' movie, just that. Certainly not the best 'super hero' type about. I'd go with Spiderman 2 or Blade.
the characters meant a lot more to me- considering that i spent the week before hellboy's theatrical release reading up on those comics- in which Mignola does a wonderful job with character development. I suppose its a great movie to some, simply because the characters were already developed. But from a standalone film standpoint- i see where your coming from.

Oh, and Blade better than Hellboy? Your one loco gringo- hommes'.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Blade is a far better film. Hellboy doesn't come close!

Who agrees?

Oh Yeah!