Actors that are still yet to receive the recognition they deserve

Tools    

Michael Stuhlbarg was first brought to my attention in Boardwalk Empire. He owned every scene he was in. Since then I've seen him in countless films and always found his performances compelling. He is now one of my favourite actors in Hollywood on the basis that if he is in something I immediately want to watch his performance in it.

To my knowledge, he has not received any awards. But I think he is one lead role away from gaining an Oscar nomination, because he is certainly capable.

This might just do nobody any good.
Y’know, awards aren’t the final word on success. Stuhlbarg has gained the recognition you’ve given him with pure talent and he’s pretty ubiquitous at the moment. He can show in in vastly different films and still have the trust of the audience. Assurance, y’know. I would like to see him in the lead again. Don’t know that he’s done that since A Serious Man.

Now, Kilmer, on the other hand, always felt like someone who would’a been bigger today than in the 80’s and 90’s. Basically what Channing Tatum or Hemsworth are right now.

I think Ben Foster is on the cusp of where Stuhlbarg finds himself right now.

Y’know, awards aren’t the final word on success. Stuhlbarg has gained the recognition you’ve given him with pure talent and he’s pretty ubiquitous at the moment. He can show in in vastly different films and still have the trust of the audience. Assurance, y’know. I would like to see him in the lead again. Don’t know that he’s done that since A Serious Man.

Now, Kilmer, on the other hand, always felt like someone who would’a been bigger today than in the 80’s and 90’s. Basically what Channing Tatum or Hemsworth are right now.

I think Ben Foster is on the cusp of where Stuhlbarg finds himself right now.
Love Ben Foster. Funnily enough, I was watching X-Men: The Last Stand the other day and had to take a double take. Forgot he was in that movie.

Jake’s definitely been getting the recognition he deserves.

Carrie Coon is getting up there. Delivering a line and a half in Infinity War probably counts for something. Maybe. Probably not. Not at all.

The truth is in here
Just for the record, I'm basing this off of what people generally think about them, not how many awards they've won. I agree that Jake Gyllenhaal has gotten all the love he deserves at this point. He's won awards for the roles he's praised most for and it's hard to find anyone who doesn't like him.

Billy Zane - People still barely know who this guy is. But I think he's cool! He just needs to get better roles. For at least 20 years he has taken literally anything that's thrown at him, which has really hurt his career.
He started off with memorable roles like Dead Calm, Tales Of The Crypt: Demon Knight and Titanic, and then people kind of forgot about him. Blood And Concrete is a really funny dark comedy with him. Memory is a fairly underrated mystery thriller. Hopefully once he can afford to, he'll take on roles more suited for his talent. I know he's got it in him.

Elisha Cuthbert - Underrated beyond belief. Gets unfairly lumped in with the likes of Megan Fox, Jessica Alba and whoever is really attractive but can't act. Outside of 24, she's also shown a lot of range in The Quiet and The Girl Next Door, as well as smaller stuff like Lucky Girl and Guns. She also got her first comedy show with Happy Endings, where she stands out from the rest of the cast. Am I the only one who thinks she's brilliant? I really don't hope so.

Tobey Maguire - People think he has limited range, but I say that's horse ****. He's already great in the Spider-Man movies he's most known for, where he displays a lot of different emotions effortlessly, but he also blew me away completely with his acting in Brothers. Peter Parker was as far away from that role as you could come.

Cal Hockley gets love from me. Certainly more than what’s his name? Something Picasso?

There’s just no place for a Harry Dean Stanton successor in American cinema these days (certainly not so soon, at least) but in a world where there is, it’s John Hawkes.

Hmm, between him and Foster, maybe it’s Debra Granik who’s really got their finger on the pulse here.

Just for the record, I'm basing this off of what people generally think about them, not how many awards they've won. I agree that Jake Gyllenhaal has gotten all the love he deserves at this point. He's won awards for the roles he's praised most for and it's hard to find anyone who doesn't like him.

Billy Zane - People still barely know who this guy is. But I think he's cool! He just needs to get better roles. For at least 20 years he has taken literally anything that's thrown at him, which has really hurt his career.
He started off with memorable roles like Dead Calm, Tales Of The Crypt: Demon Knight and Titanic, and then people kind of forgot about him. Blood And Concrete is a really funny dark comedy with him. Memory is a fairly underrated mystery thriller. Hopefully once he can afford to, he'll take on roles more suited for his talent. I know he's got it in him.

Elisha Cuthbert - Underrated beyond belief. Gets unfairly lumped in with the likes of Megan Fox, Jessica Alba and whoever is really attractive but can't act. Outside of 24, she's also shown a lot of range in The Quiet and The Girl Next Door, as well as smaller stuff like Lucky Girl and Guns. She also got her first comedy show with Happy Endings, where she stands out from the rest of the cast. Am I the only one who thinks she's brilliant? I really don't hope so.

Tobey Maguire - People think he has limited range, but I say that's horse ****. He's already great in the Spider-Man movies he's most known for, where he displays a lot of different emotions effortlessly, but he also blew me away completely with his acting in Brothers. Peter Parker was as far away from that role as you could come.
Totally agree regarding Billy Zane...criminally underrated actor.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Jake Gyllenhaal.

et al.
Fantastic actor and one of my personal favorites. Loved Nightcrawler, which I think is his strongest outing. I also have a lot of love for Donnie Darko, but I think that's more due to the concept than his actual performance in it (which was fine).

Fantastic actor and one of my personal favorites. Loved Nightcrawler, which I think is his strongest outing. I also have a lot of love for Donnie Darko, but I think that's more due to the concept than his actual performance in it (which was fine).
Yea, I would agree Nightcrawler is his best performance yet too. He was also very good in Nocturnal Animals.

He definitely should have gotten recognition for Nightcrawler. He blew me away with that. I didn't give too much thought when I posted the gif set, as I've left out Nocturnal Animals, and a couple other that should be mentioned, but...to be honest the only times I could say I didn't really buy him was when it wasn't even close to his fault (Accidental Love, for example. He was the best thing about that ridiculous movie, but it was still a bad movie.)

I've liked all his performances. He really gives.

He's probably not a household name these days but I would think he had a lot of recognition during his career. One of our best I think .

Carrie Coon is getting up there. Delivering a line and a half in Infinity War probably counts for something. Maybe. Probably not. Not at all.
I like the look of her but haven't seen her properly yet .

She’s the #1 reason to watch The Leftovers and she was solid in the last season of Fargo.

Oh, and she was Ben Affleck’s sister in Gone Girl but those first two examples give you the best idea of why she’s great.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
As an action film fan, I would have to say Scott Adkins. While he is a big name on the straight to DVD/Blu-Ray circuit, his A-list movies have been relegated to more supporting roles where he usually has a brief fight scene and ends up getting defeated or killed.

Adkins is known for playing Russian powerhouse Yuri Boyka in the sequels to the prison boxing flick Undisputed, which are straight to DVD/BR from 2006-2017.

But as mentioned, his A-list roles include:
Lucian the Strong Zealot in Doctor Strange

Victor in American Assassin

Hector in The Expendables 2

The "Ukranian Ben Affleck" in The Brothers Grimsby

He’ll always be “Deadpool stunt double from X-Men Origins: Wolverine” to me.