MOFO 80's Teen Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Any required order to watch and review?

What's the format? I mean I see potential disqualification. From? Like, is this a graded tally to pick one 'winner' From the group based on reviews?

First time in a HOF so yeah. Tons of questions incoming!
Watch in any order you want... review however you want... if you are like me.. I reviewed all my movies at the end but I kept active in the thread... letting the other members know which film I was watching next

@Citizen Rules might want to chime in on this too.

Akira
Seen it and liked it ok. I'll watch it again but I don't think it's the kind of movie anyone envisioned would be in this HOF.

Crossroads and Once Bitten
Don't think I've seen either.

Grease 2 and Teen Wolf
Haven't seen either.

Can't Buy Me Love
Liked it but barely remember it.

Say Anything
Another good one that's been a while.

Stand By Me
Looks like the early favorite to me.

Better off Dead
Was disappointed when I saw it at the movies, but that was then and this is now.

Lucas
Saw it once and liked it.

My Bodygaurd and Three O'Clock High
I considered nominating both of these.

Heaven Help Us
My nom. I think it's a pretty underrated and largely forgotten gem.

I also considered nominating The Sure Thing, The Flamingo Kid, The Last American Virgin, and Little Darlings.

So glad f**kin Ferris wasn't nominated.

Made in 1988 and falls under the guideline

A secret military project endangers Neo-Tokyo when it turns a biker gang member into a rampaging psychic psychopath that only two teenagers and a group of psychics can stop.
I'm looking forward to seeing more anime. Akira description from IMDB
I know it technically fits the guideline, but who really thinks of Akira when they think of 80's teen movies?

None of these are bad choices...

I haven't seen Akira but I know many who like it

I haven't seen Say Anything and shame on me!

I think Teen Wolf and Once Bitten are along the same lines.... they got some wacky scenes but they are fun watches...

I love Better of Dead "I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!"

by the way, John Cusack was at our comic convention last February and many say he's a d*ck... and gets pissed off if someone repeats

I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!

looks ok but akira???????

Half the cast is teenagers...here's a primer...

Antagonist - Tetsuo - 15 years old

Protagonist - Kenada is 16 Years Old

Love interest - Kei 17 Years Old

The best friend - Yamagata 17 years old

minion -
Kaisuke
- 14 years old

I know but nobody signs up for an 80's teen HoF to watch anime sci-fi. It's fine I'll watch it but if you look at the posters of all the nominations, there's clearly one movie that doesn't fit in.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Better off Dead was my first pick but it was taken. It was a coin toss between Dream a Little Dream or Crossroads.

I tossed around a few..until a co worker reminded me of Once Bitten

Solarbabies and The Wraith was considered...Legend of Billie Jean...I was even joking about picking Soul Man with C Thomas Howell...but I figured that might be too controversial.

I know it technically fits the guideline, but who really thinks of Akira when they think of 80's teen movies?

It doesn't just "technically" fit but rather it touches on the same central metaphor of most teen films, growing up moving past your childhood issues and discovering who you are going to be.

https://www.ranker.com/list/all-the-...nna-lindwasser

Also

Rian Johnson (Looper)
Duffer Brothers (Stranger Things)
Max Landis (Chronicle)
Wes Anderson (Isle of Dogs)

Y'know kids and teens of the 80's who were inspired by the film and then put aspects of the anime into their bodies of work.

Stand By Me
Looks like the early favorite to me.

I DEMAND Stand By Me to be removed from this tournament as all the lead characters are 12 year olds and thus not teenagers and do not belong in the teen movie hall of fame. I do not see this as a Teen movie and I am unwilling to LISTEN any other opinions. This tournament is not meant for intended audiences or the themes of the story, heck the movie doesn't even take place in the 1980's.

[/sarcasm...but also HOW DARE YOU]

It doesn't just "technically" fit but rather it touches on the same central metaphor of most teen films, growing up moving past your childhood issues and discovering who you are going to be.

https://www.ranker.com/list/all-the-...nna-lindwasser

Also

Rian Johnson (Looper)
Duffer Brothers (Stranger Things)
Max Landis (Chronicle)
Wes Anderson (Isle of Dogs)

Y'know kids and teens of the 80's who were inspired by the film and then put aspects of the anime into their bodies of work.
Gotcha, but I don't think people signed up for this HoF to watch Akira.

I DEMAND Stand By Me to be removed from this tournament as all the lead characters are 12 year olds and thus not teenagers and do not belong in the teen movie hall of fame. I do not see this as a Teen movie and I am unwilling to LISTEN any other opinions. This tournament is not meant for intended audiences or the themes of the story, heck the movie doesn't even take place in the 1980's.

[/sarcasm...but also HOW DARE YOU]
You have a point as I didn't remember the exact age of the boys, although the bullies are teens. I do think it at least fits the spirit of the theme a little closer.

I also think Stand By Me shouldn't be in this. It's one of my favourite films but I wouldn't class it as a teen comedy at all personally.

Looking forward to watching these though!

Akira
Seen it and liked it ok. I'll watch it again but I don't think it's the kind of movie anyone envisioned would be in this HOF.
Yeah, it's not what you'd expect in a "Teen Movie" theme, but really the only actual stipulations were:

- The film must have been made from 1980 to 1989.
- It must contain a lead character who is a teen.
Not much of a theme if you ask me, but meh, it's not my HoF, and I wouldn't be able to get all the way through it even if it was. Personally I would have made it "Coming of Age Stories" or something like that. Stories that revolved around the nature of adolescence and being a teenager, not merely movies with a teenage lead.

What about movies with college age kids playing high-school teens? Or movies like The Maze Runner and The Hunger Games where the actors are older but the characters are supposed to be teenagers?