Birth of a Nation does more harm than good for racial equality

→ in
Tools    

The highly controversial The Birth of a Nation from first-time director Nate Parker, pulled in $7 million on a reported $10 million budget it's premiere weekend. Considering it was the opening wide-release weekend of an independent film, that is not too shabby in the least, and a lot of this success can be attributed to its record-breaking purchase for a wide release at this year’s Sundance festival. Unfortunately, however, the controversy and festival record-breaking, as well as the sensational and sensitive subject matter (especially in our current social climate) is the most flash this film brings to the pan.

Speaking from a technical standpoint, the audience is required to give Parker’s direction plenty of benefit of the doubt (with arguably too much screen time focusing on his spotty performance as Nat Turner than on the heavy and potent story at hand) which can be expected of an independent film from a first-time director, and that is more than understandable, save for the fact that this is a film that specifically desires to make a statement and leave a legacy, and with that level of expectation, it is going to garner that level of scrutiny. Parker’s performance did have moments of brilliance, and his conviction is undeniable, but he never really allowed the rest of his cast to shine through on their own. Armie Hammer felt more like an outline than an actual human character and never truly came to life, and Aja Naomi King had the talent to give an unforgettable performance, yet was hindered by the weak writing. Perhaps the biggest disappointment about this film is what it could and should have been, pulling the title from one of the most racist and yet somehow still revered films in the history of cinema. To put it bluntly: if this film were titled anything but The Birth of a Nation, it would be an underwhelming and wholly forgettable film on the subject of slavery. Then again, grabbing attention was Parker’s intention, but once given that attention, the film was less than satisfying in its message.

Now as a preface, I am a white man, and therefore I have absolutely no conceivable idea what it is to be a black person; it is impossible for me to imagine that experience, no matter how many perspectives from the black community that I hear. As such, I cannot rightly give any criticism about whether or not this film captures such an experience accurately, and if anything, I can only commend it for being told in a fresh way: a story about slavery that does not have a white savior character, a criticism (perhaps the only criticism) I have with the far-superior 12 Years A Slave. This may be the only film about this time period ever made that is entirely told from the perspective of a black person without any whitewashing; there are no white characters to which a white audience can feel comfortable relating, and none of them are redeemable from their evil lifestyle of owning or condoning the owning of another human being, and that is indescribably refreshing. Perhaps the most troubling aspect, though, is the film’s handling of the subject of violence. From an historical perspective, yes, Nat Turner did lead a revolt, which did kill many people. This is historical fact, and I am not by any means discrediting Birth of a Nation for depicting it in a realistic way.

I am, however, submitting that the way violence was handled within the parameters of filmmaking was a glorification of that violence, and that it promotes Nat Turner as a Christian hero for using violence to make his message heard. More so, the fact that Turner uses this righteous fury to support his violence is in direct opposition to the teachings of Christianity. There was no hero’s downfall for Turner, or a descent into this violence, but rather a depiction of Turner having a revelation and claiming God permitted and encouraged this violence, which, although historically factual in Turner’s life, is a dangerous concept regardless of race or gender. Revenge is rejected and murder forbidden in the Christian faith, and although there is a line in the film that says, “this is not revenge,” the actions carried out by many of the characters prove otherwise, and to have the chance to make a film about violence only creating more violence with the whole country watching, but then to not take it, is a missed opportunity. It is a dangerous idea to bring to modern civilization that the oppressed should murder the oppressors and to glorify that idea, and in a time where we as a culture desperately need to hear (and truly listen to) black voices, how disappointing that this film, an attempt to counter the blatantly racist original film from 1915, chooses to say “an eye for an eye” and desires to incite a feeling of violent revenge instead of the truth that violence only begets more violence.

Furthermore, this film’s depiction of violence against women is an even greater and uglier flaw. It contains more than one instance of rape, and though these atrocities happen off-screen, the problem is that the victims never get their own fair due of onscreen response. The women are not fleshed out characters, but rather property of males – just another reason for Nat to be angry. They are not treated as people who have had an unspeakable act forced upon them, but rather as fuel for male anger, pain, and revenge that this happened to their wives, sisters, and mothers. This is a problem for any film, but this in particular is worrisome because of Nate Parker’s history with mistreatment of women and attitude toward his perception of masculinity and gender roles. It cannot go unsaid that his rape allegations make the depiction of women in his film questionable and concerning, and the fact that this particular rape wasn’t even historical, but rather an entirely fictional addition, is even more unsettling. It’s a shame that a film with so much potential to make a real difference has to have this controversy surrounding it, but it’s even more so a shame that yet another film has been made that treats women only as their relation to men, and not as individual human beings. The utter mistreatment of black women in a film that has the intention of promoting the visibility and respect of black lives is heartbreaking.

Now, with all that said, weighed, and considered, I must make clear that this is a decent film; for all that it is, and in light that it is a debut film - albeit with a messy message - it is by no means a failure. How admirably confident of Nate Parker to choose this particular film as his directorial debut, and what a splash it made even if it wasn’t an entirely positive one. Birth of a Nation is imperfect, but important. The biggest accomplishment here is that this film is only one of many yet to come, a springboard from which many more films from and about the black perspective can and should arise. Support black filmmakers and listen to their stories. Hopefully these stories, and more stories from many more backgrounds, will hold a message true to the fact that we need to shed violence and focus on unity and education, that we need to treat minorities of any cultural background as the human beings that they are, listening to what they say instead of treating them as lesser due to skin color or culture, and to demolish the implicit structural racism and privilege so apparent and rampant in the white existence.

Nice read,i havent seen it and dont plan to because hes a rapist.im sure this story breaking has lost him some viewers,but sadly i think its helped promote the movie aswell..Im sad for Gabrielle Union who herself was attacked didnt know about it till the story broke and faced all kinds of backlash.

Nice read,i havent seen it and dont plan to because hes a rapist.im sure this story breaking has lost him some viewers,but sadly i think its helped promote the movie aswell..Im sad for Gabrielle Union who herself was attacked didnt know about it till the story broke and faced all kinds of backlash.
Glad you enjoyed the read Topsy! I didn't know about any of Parker's history until just a few days before going to see the film myself. It was really hard to separate that reality from his work, and thereby not instantly dismiss it. But I knew there was a chance Birth of a Nation had something exceedingly powerful and important to say and I had to give the art a chance to be independent of the artist. However, like I mentioned, that could only be slightly achieved as the two instances of rape in the film were highly concerning knowing his past. It's heartbreaking the violence he has inflected as a person onto other people. I'm still wrestling with how to differentiate his work from his past. But maybe that can't be reached, and maybe we shouldn't do such a thing.

The talk surrounding this movie has bothered me quite a bit. I don't know Parker and like many what I do know has been what I have learned through articles in the last couple weeks. I guess I will put out a question and perhaps the conversation can evolve from their. What does it take for any of you to think that a man accused of rape is innocent?

The talk surrounding this movie has bothered me quite a bit. I don't know Parker and like many what I do know has been what I have learned through articles in the last couple weeks. I guess I will put out a question and perhaps the conversation can evolve from their. What does it take for any of you to think that a man accused of rape is innocent?
That's a ridiculously tough question. The circumstances are the obvious answer, but rape allegations at least ones that are heavily contested usually boil down to 'he said she said' since there's no witnesses or hard evidence that would make them pretty open and shut. I always want to give the accuser the benefit of the doubt because false allegations are such a terrible thing but i can't because it does happen of course. I'm also completely against a potential victims sexual history being used against them since i don't think it is relevant in any way, even the most promiscuous can be raped. So to answer your question i don't have a clue so i usually stay out of it with no opinion.

Don't have a clue about what happened with this guy and i decided not to look it up before writing this so i wouldn't have an opinion. Do you think he did it?

That's a ridiculously tough question. The circumstances are the obvious answer, but rape allegations at least ones that are heavily contested usually boil down to 'he said she said' since there's no witnesses or hard evidence that would make them pretty open and shut. I always want to give the accuser the benefit of the doubt because false allegations are such a terrible thing but i can't because it does happen of course. I'm also completely against a potential victims sexual history being used against them since i don't think it is relevant in any way, even the most promiscuous can be raped. So to answer your question i don't have a clue so i usually stay out of it with no opinion.

Don't have a clue about what happened with this guy and i decided not to look it up before writing this so i wouldn't have an opinion. Do you think he did it?

I really don't know. If you read up about it tell me what you think. It is one of those cases that may never be fleshed out to absolute truth. He was aquitted though. This isn't just coming to light now. He wasn't convicted and served his time. He went to trial and was aquitted. It bothers me a bit when he is called a rapist as if that is the end of the discussion. This thread isn't the first place I have seen that so that is no reflection on those posting here, but our culture as a whole.

I might read up on it later. Depending on the circumstances i too have a problem with people who have been acquitted being called rapists; it's just such a life destroying label and if it isn't true then that's just awful. Of course there's certain people i fully believe got away with it and i hope they suffer for it.

Coincidentally i was reading this book the other day - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Defender-Ta.../dp/0951396307

It's a book by a famous lawyer from Glasgow recounting various notable cases he took on and one of the first ones is about a teacher he got off of false rape allegations. Long story short two 15 year old girls in his class accused him because he wouldn't take their advances; they admitted it and the charges were dropped. Even though he had been cleared the label stuck, he couldn't find a job and eventually attempted suicide before he got his life back together. So awful .

Nothing to do with this it's an isolated case of course, i just thought it was funny this sort of thing came up a few days later on this of all sites.

I really don't know. If you read up about it tell me what you think. It is one of those cases that may never be fleshed out to absolute truth. He was aquitted though. This isn't just coming to light now. He wasn't convicted and served his time. He went to trial and was aquitted. It bothers me a bit when he is called a rapist as if that is the end of the discussion. This thread isn't the first place I have seen that so that is no reflection on those posting here, but our culture as a whole.
I absolutely agree, jumping to the conclusion that he is a rapist and then leaving it there is problematic given the incredibly delicate and sensitive nature of the subject to all parties involved. Yes, he was acquitted, yes it was his friend that ended up serving the sentence. But it must also be noted that it was this same friend, Jean Celestin who did get convicted of this rape charge, also received a writing credit on this film. This is even more disheartening when you actually watch the film and see how the storytellers depict the results of rape in relation to the victim and the victim's male family members.

I do not feel comfortable fully ruling on whether or not Nate Parker is a rapist. But the correlation to what has happened in the past and his now horribly misogynistic view of rape in film, is a cause for concern and discussion. In his particular situation I believe we must look at the larger scope of his actions sense that rape occurred - and I do say occurred because someone was in fact found guilty and therefore it is now fact in the eyes of the court. Nate Parker was accused of a crime that was sexual in nature, yes he was acquitted, though his mistreatment of women in his first debut film is telling, and he also chose to have a convicted rapist as a contributor to a script that depicts rape in one manner or another. These are hard to rationalize and fully feel comfortable with Parker's character as a whole.

Nate Parker may not be a rapist, but he must accept that he will have to respond to the fact that he was accused in a far more appropriate manner than he did with Birth of a Nation.

I absolutely agree, jumping to the conclusion that he is a rapist and then leaving it there is problematic given the incredibly delicate and sensitive nature of the subject to all parties involved. Yes, he was acquitted, yes it was his friend that ended up serving the sentence. But it must also be noted that it was this same friend, Jean Celestin who did get convicted of this rape charge, also received a writing credit on this film. This is even more disheartening when you actually watch the film and see how the storytellers depict the results of rape in relation to the victim and the victim's male family members.

I do not feel comfortable fully ruling on whether or not Nate Parker is a rapist. But the correlation to what has happened in the past and his now horribly misogynistic view of rape in film, is a cause for concern and discussion. In his particular situation I believe we must look at the larger scope of his actions sense that rape occurred - and I do say occurred because someone was in fact found guilty and therefore it is now fact in the eyes of the court. Nate Parker was accused of a crime that was sexual in nature, yes he was acquitted, though his mistreatment of women in his first debut film is telling, and he also chose to have a convicted rapist as a contributor to a script that depicts rape in one manner or another. These are hard to rationalize and fully feel comfortable with Parker's character as a whole.

Nate Parker may not be a rapist, but he must accept that he will have to respond to the fact that he was accused in a far more appropriate manner than he did with Birth of a Nation.
I think your points are well thought out and I don't completely disagree with you. There are a couple of points to make here though. One. Celestin's conviction was over turned. Second point is on the movie. I don't think I agree with you on how rape was handled in the film. I think it is a gross reflection of how rape wss viewed back then. I think it is shown as repulsive the way these women were treated. The only ones on board with this in the film are the ones who view these slaves as less than human on every level. Are you saying you think Parker-s view on rape is the same as the slave owners?

I think your points are well thought out and I don't completely disagree with you. There are a couple of points to make here though. One. Celestin's conviction was over turned. Second point is on the movie. I don't think I agree with you on how rape was handled in the film. I think it is a gross reflection of how rape wss viewed back then. I think it is shown as repulsive the way these women were treated. The only ones on board with this in the film are the ones who view these slaves as less than human on every level. Are you saying you think Parker-s view on rape is the same as the slave owners?
Correct, Celestin's conviction was overturned by the supreme court four years after his sentencing. However this was due to ineffective council rather than new or contradictory evidence. Therefore to fully say Celestin is not a rapist is arguably a gross misstep, just as it would be to fully say Parker himself is a rapist.

To your second point, no this is not what I mean in the slightest. Yes, Birth of a Nation reflects quite well the way most white Americans in the early 19th century viewed slaves as property and not as whole humans, and therefore could do with them as they chose - including using them for their own sexual pleasures. This is true, and I don't discredit the film for the inclusion of this element of slavery, nor the portrayal of white male slave owners and their horrendous mistreatment and victimization of black females.

My issue with the two instances of rape in this film arise from the fact that they are used to wholly insight the women's male counterparts, and rather than advance the women as the individual characters and humans in this story that they are. In the scene where Nat first speaks with his wife, Cherry, after her attack, we never once see her face, what she is feeling, nor how this directly impacted her. We only see Nat's reaction. We only see his response, how this impacted and infuriates him. Yes, he is our main character, but Cherry is a huge part of this story and you can't add in a scene (because this particular rape was fictional and only used to advance the story) about rape and then not give proper screen time and response to the victim. Its disconcerting that the way rape was used in this film, as a catalyst for two male characters (the husbands of the victims) and not, at least also in tandem, how black women had to cope with these unspeakable acts that were forced upon them. This film only focuses on the black male perspective and makes it clearly by it's omission of the female black perspective what the filmmakers viewed as truly important to the story.

From my reading of the film, Parker's view of women appears to be based on their relation to men only, and how what happens to them impact their male counter-parts given the examples proceeding this. And I will say that those examples could possibly be overlooked, and I think they do often in other films that deal with the subject of rape. However, given Parker's past - whether true and not - I am left feeling uncomfortable with how this was handled and believe he himself may need to do some serious soul searching in regards to how he truly views women as the subtext seems to be saying more than he may realize.

I'm still wrestling with how to differentiate his work from his past. But maybe that can't be reached, and maybe we shouldn't do such a thing.
i know theres been a few discussions on this subject with different celebrities in mind (mel gibson,sean penn etc etc) for me personally I cant really do it.i knew about this movie and had planned to see it because it was advertised as a movie that fiercly advocated against rape. i thought that was the main story,but i see from your post that its not.
anyways,thats what made me want to see it in the first place,and so when the person making such a film is himself acussed of taking part of a gang rape of a girl who later kills herself,it becomes too difficult to seperate the two.

thats a difficult question though a fair one.
I guess you just have to try and get as many facts as possible (from both sides) and make your own judgement,based on both the "facts" you find and how you see the people involved.
from what ive read about this case i believe the victim,both from what he/she/friends said (his friends included),his friend being charged,the fact that she tried for a retrial but the police couldnt be bothered to look up the witnesses again,and what happened to her afterwards.

I think your reading is fair but I do want to push back a bit because I felt completely different about the incidents and characters. I felt the two women you are talking about are a reflection of how most slaves would have handled their plight. They didn't fight back because they were just trying to survive day to day and they knew to fight back meant more punishment and death. Incidentally this is how Parker's character handles things through most circumstances and also is reflected even more so in the main house slave we see, who is male.

I can understand your point about the male saviour but also think the majority of males would be and were looking for the same saviour. I also have great respect for the strong silent types which both these women were. I think I most sympathize with these types of characters because it is who I would see myself being in dire circumstances.

Good thing though,cos i didnt get you guys`posts up when i wrote that. I guess i was too quick to think my computer problems were over!

Just read a few things about this, definitely not enough to have any sort of solid opinion. I mostly agree with Topsy though from what little i've seen, i don't think consent was given. I do think it is possible that Nate misjudged the situation because apparently she was in a very drunken state but that is still rape. I don't know if the law in the US differentiates between someone taking advantage of someone in such a state that they can't give or deny consent and actual forced sex (not that they should both are rape) if they do then what ever that's called is what i think happened. I think this from Gabrielle Union is how i feel as well:

As important and ground-breaking as this film is, I cannot take these allegations lightly. On that night, 17-odd years ago, did Nate have his date’s consent? It’s very possible he thought he did. Yet by his own admission he did not have verbal affirmation; and even if she never said “no,” silence certainly does not equal “yes.” Although it’s often difficult to read and understand body language, the fact that some individuals interpret the absence of a “no” as a “yes” is problematic at least, criminal at worst. That’s why education on this issue is so vital.
Also i was almost floored when i saw this happened at Penn State after everything that happened there in recent years. Especially if the accusers claims are true that Nate and the other guy hung about outside her dorm, got friends and others to harrass her, etc, and the school did nothing about it

So yeah, my opinion is it most likely wasn't consensual but i'm not 100% certain of course.