The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
aw, man, that's gotta yank at the short and curlies! Sorry to hear that, royal

Let the night air cool you off
That sucks. It's probably happened to all of us here at least once. I am dumb enough to still not always take precautions against it. When it happens it is super discouraging. Like when you are playing Mike Tyson's Punch-Out and you get to Mike Tyson and get knocked out and have to start back at the beginning.

Tyler isn't here! Tyler went away! Tyler's gone!
Never Let Me Go (2010)
Director: Mark Romanek
Starring: Keira Knightley (Ruth), Carey Mulligan (Kathy),
Andrew Garfield (Tommy)

In 1952, their was a medical breakthrough that expanded human life expectancy to well over 100 years. The film starts off with Kathy reminiscing her childhood friends, Ruth and Tommy at Hailsham, a boarding school in England. We learn about Kathy's daily routines at Hailsham and he friends Ruth and Tommy. They eventually are acquainted with a new teacher, who tells them information they are not supposed to hear and are stunned by their new reality.

The second part of the movie takes Ruth, Kathy and Tommy to cottages in a rural farm area, where they will stay indefinitely. The rest of the film takes you on a roller coaster of emotions of hope, happiness, betrayal and agony.

Overall I thought the movie was phenomenal but at the same time, I **** ing hated it!!!! But overall it was a great film that has characters you can easily connect with.

That sucks. It's probably happened to all of us here at least once. I am dumb enough to still not always take precautions against it. When it happens it is super discouraging. Like when you are playing Mike Tyson's Punch-Out and you get to Mike Tyson and get knocked out and have to start back at the beginning.
Haha, I know the feeling Justin

Royal that's too bad you lost a review, it happened to me and I had worked on it for like an hour, ugh. And I still don't take precautions, but I should.

I'm glad that overall you liked movie, so what did you find "phenomenal" and what did you find "I **** ing hated it!!!!"?

Just curious

So, for now on I'll use the spoiler edit, I like giving the whole synopsis anyway.... Better than paraphrasing so everyone can read it....

So, these forums have music and even football on here, is there a reason why there is no tv
There's a TV sub-forum here on the home page, called The Television & Music Forum That's a link. But don't ask me what's there, I never visit it....I don't have TV so I don't have much to say.

Hey did you know we do music listening tournaments? That's where we nominate songs and then listen to them and vote for our favorite out of a pair. Then it goes to semi finals and finals and then one song wins. You should join one, it's pretty fun.

So, these forums have music and even football on here, is there a reason why there is no tv
There's a TV sub-forum here on the home page, called The Television & Music Forum That's a link. But don't ask me what's there, I never visit it....I don't have TV so I don't have much to say.

Hey did you know we do music listening tournaments? That's where we nominate songs and then listen to them and vote for our favorite out of a pair. Then it goes to semi finals and finals and then one song wins. You should join one, it's pretty fun.
I will but it had started when I joined last week

Yeah, I haven't noticed the TV forum, the amount of threads here is a little overwhelming.... I don't know if I would want to be on more threads than I already am..... Hard to keep track after 10.

There's another starting sometime in February. All About Lovers, I guess that is love songs, any love songs. Destiny is going to run that one. She has a schedule thread here

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=47392
Thanks citizen, I'll definitely be sure to check it out!

The City of Lost Children (1995)

Director: Marc Caro, Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Starring: Ron Perlman (One), Daniel Emilfork (Krank),
Judith Vittet (Miette)

SPOILERS!!!!
I knew nothing about this film until I briefly read a few of the reviews on it and then I was hooked and knew I had to watch it.

There was once a scientist who fled society to complete his testing and studies in peace but soon became lonely. So, he decided to make a wife for companionship, moral support and a sexual interest but she ends up being short and is not loyal or faithful. He then made clones of himself so he could have brothers, but they fall asleep, lack originality and have a very low IQ. He then decides to make an intellectual so he can have meaningful conversation, so he makes a brain in a fish tank, but the brain has frequent migraines and isn't human. Finally, the scientist creates a man to be his best friend (Krank), but he ages much quicker than everyone else and can not dream, which drives Krank to the brink of insanity to find a solution to his dreaming problem. The professor is then driven away by Krank and the professor becomes a hermit in an underwater submarine. Krank then creates an alliance with the Cyclops men and they are responsible for capturing children and handing them over to Krank in exchange for their Cyclops eyes. Krank then uses a machine to try and steal the children's dreams, so he himself can dream but because all of the children are scared of him, he is only able to get their nightmares.

The movie plot starts with One's little brother being captured by the Cyclops men. Soon after, One meets a little girl named Miette, who ends up helping One try and get his brother back. The rest of the film is about One and Miettes adventures in getting One's brother back. Durring their adventures One and Miette create an abnormal relationship and you start to notice sexual tension between the two (Which I thought was pretty weird because Miette and One have a pretty hefty age gap).

Overall I thought this was one of the most interesting stories in a movie I have seen in ages. I also loved the set, props and costumes for the film, it was all very visually appealing. But I thought the actors in this movie were mediocre at best and it didn't help that I was set off by the abnormal relationship between One and Miette.

The Man From Nowhere/아저씨 (2010)
Dir. Lee Jeong-beom
Starring: Won Bin, Kim Sae-ron, Kim Sung-oh

I really enjoy when a revenge film is done right. The story is not original, but that doesn't really matter here, because it's the execution that counts. The Man From Nowhere has great stunt coordination and fight choreography, particularly in the climax, and it was surprisingly touching at times with an engaging introduction. I did prefer the first two acts of the film to the final one, but it was still very solid all the way through, with some great performances from everyone involved as well.

At times this reminded me of
John Wick, more so than it did Léon or Taken (and for me that's a very good thing). The story here is a bit more complicated and could do with a little trimming, though luckily it never comes across as being convoluted. I did actually like the sentimentality, and only thought it was a bit corny at the very end. The cinematography was good, though there were a few instances where the camera was a little too frantic for my taste.

While I've seen a number of Korean films before, they've practically all been of the horror genre (I think
Oldboy was the only exception). If this film is at all indicative of the action thrillers South Korea has been making, then I'll definitely be checking out more of them in the future. I imagine that this would be incredibly cheesy and horrible-sounding dubbed in English, so I urge everyone to try and find the Korean language version instead.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nowhere.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	28486  

The Man From Nowhere/아저씨 (2010)
Dir. Lee Jeong-beom
Starring: Won Bin, Kim Sae-ron, Kim Sung-oh

I really enjoy when a revenge film is done right. The story is not original, but that doesn't really matter here, because it's the execution that counts. The Man From Nowhere has great stunt coordination and fight choreography, particularly in the climax, and it was surprisingly touching at times with an engaging introduction. I did prefer the first two acts of the film to the final one, but it was still very solid all the way through, with some great performances from everyone involved as well.

At times this reminded me of
John Wick, more so than it did Léon or Taken (and for me that's a very good thing). The story here is a bit more complicated and could do with a little trimming, though luckily it never comes across as being convoluted. I did actually like the sentimentality, and only thought it was a bit corny at the very end. The cinematography was good, though there were a few instances where the camera was a little too frantic for my taste.

While I've seen a number of Korean films before, they've practically all been of the horror genre (I think
Oldboy was the only exception). If this film is at all indicative of the action thrillers South Korea has been making, then I'll definitely be checking out more of them in the future. I imagine that this would be incredibly cheesy and horrible-sounding dubbed in English, so I urge everyone to try and find the Korean language version instead.

Glad you liked it...