[ ] Never let me go (2010; British) 7.2
[ ] U turn (1997; English) 6.8
[ ] The city of lost children (1995; French) 7.7
[ ] Sanshiro sugata (1943; Japanese) 6.8
[ ] Barbara (2012; German) 7.2
[ ] Hiroshima mon amour (1959; French) 8.0
[ ] The man from nowhere (2011; Korean) 7.8
[ ] Y tu mama tambien (2001; Spanish) 7.7
When you say English, do you mean American? On a glance I thought you were just stating the language, but I'm a bit confused because you have some things listed as being British instead (and one Australian).

Tyler isn't here! Tyler went away! Tyler's gone!
[+ ] Grand Budapest Hotel (2014; English) 8.1/8
[+ ] Romper stomper (1992; Australian) 6.8/6
[ ] Joe (1970; English) 6.9
[ ] Midnight Run (1988; English) 7.6
[ ] Withnail and I (1987; British) 7.8
[ ] Casablanca (1942; English) 8.6
[ ] Never let me go (2010; British) 7.2
[ ] U turn (1997; English) 6.8
[ ] The city of lost children (1995; French) 7.7
[ ] Sanshiro sugata (1943; Japanese) 6.8
[ ] Barbara (2012; German) 7.2
[ ] Hiroshima mon amour (1959; French) 8.0
[ ] The man from nowhere (2011; Korean) 7.8
[ ] Y tu mama tambien (2001; Spanish) 7.7
When you say English, do you mean American? On a glance I thought you were just stating the language, but I'm a bit confused because you have some things listed as being British instead (and one Australian).
British films can be weird sometimes, so I said British to differentiate the two

Woody Allen is a pedophille
I have already seen three of the 14 noms. I will try to rewatch all three, but I will save them for last just in case. For now here is my write-up for Casablanca from my review thread. Most of my opinions are still the same.
CASABLANCA

When I first watched Casablanca I was only 9 years old, and was not nearly old enough to understand the genius and perfection behind this film. My grandparents showed it to me, and I liked it, but only because they told me I was supposed to. I knew that I had seen it, so I always just checked it off greatest movies of all time lists and moved on to watch other films. So it was tonight, with around $4 left in birthday iTunes money, that I finally decided to really watch and experience this brilliant masterpiece of a film.

As you probably already know, the film follows Rick Blaine, an American living in Casablanca during World War 2. He is the proprietor of a nightclub, and he is very surprised to see his ex-girlfriend Ilsa walk in. The story begins to unfolds as we learn more about their past together, the rise against the nazis, and the man that Ilsa arrived with. The story is able to flow so properly and seamlessly due to probably the greatest screenplay of all time. The film reminds me of a perfect blend of Citizen Kane, The Maltese Falcon, and North by Northwest, three incredible films. The ending of this film rivals movies like Fight Club, The Gradate, and The Bridge on the River Kwai for the greatest of all time.

The greatest thing about Casablanca is its incredible characters. The cool and selfish Rick, the loving and sweet Ilsa, and many others. All of them have very clear objectives and boundaries, and every actor gives an oscar worthy performance. The film also shines on a technical level, using great lighting and shadows to show emotion and mood. The movie also has great music and directing.

Casablanca is an all time classic, and if you haven't seen it, don't be an idiot like me, go see right now. Despite having little to no action, this movie kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time, and was incredible to watch. This film was fantastic on a technical level, and all of it still holds up today. From the romance, to the action, to the dialog, this is a perfect movie, and there is probably nothing else I can tell you that you haven't already heard before.

City of Lost Children/La Cité des Enfants Perdus
(1995)
Dir. Marc Caro, Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Starring: Ron Perlman, Judith Vittet, Daniel Emilfork

This was a film I had seen many years ago, but remembered so little of that it was almost like watching it new. For some reason I had been thinking of this as more of a darker children's film, but apparently it was rated R in the US - though only PG (or 14A in some provinces) here. Maybe it's because I watched films like this when I was growing up, but I think it actually might work better for younger audiences than it does for adults.

Hiring someone like Ron Perlman, who does not speak French, to play the slow circus strongman was a great decision. His basic, imperfect French suits the character remarkably well. The performances were really good across the board actually. Some of the actors were a little campy at times, but it just came across as being part of the quirky characters and the strange world they inhabit.

The steampunk aesthetic is very interesting. There was some fantastic, if a little cluttered, set design, and interesting camera work that kept my attention when the plot seemed to be taking its time. While the CG insects are very dated looking at times, the effects used to allow Dominique Pinon to play multiple characters that are seen on-screen at the same time were incredibly well done.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	City of Lost Children.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	28405  

Casablanca
Casablanca is an American drama, directed by Michael Curtiz. It starts you off with a man named Rick Blaine, (played by Humphrey Bogart) a cynical man who owns the hottest "night club" in Casablanca, which hosts quite a few immigrants seeking passport to America. Early in the movie, Rick stumbled upon "letters of transit", which he originally planned to sell for a good deal of money. Later in the movie, Rick gets a surprise visit from Lazlo, a hero among the "Allied Forces" (America has not joined in the war as of yet) and the only woman whom he'd ever loved, Ilsa, who are both seeking passage to America. From here, the rest of the film becomes a love story between Rick and Ilsa, "The woman who got away", and the twists and turns that go with running into the one person whom you've ever loved, after years of not seeing eachother. At the end of the film, Rick has a very hard decision to make, that will benefit his personal gain or benefit the war as a whole..... What will happen????

I had not seen this film before (pretty sad) and I am extremely grateful to be in this competition, just for the opportunity to watch this film. This movie is truly a masterpiece in cinema history.

Awesome that you got so much out of it on your first viewing. I can't believe it wasn't until last week that I realized how great it is.
Yeah, I was surprised too, I can't always follow older films as well as I can with the films of today, but the movie was very well directed and easy to understand. Though I'm not sure a nom as prestigious as this one is fair in this competition (just saying, lol)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It is fair. People have swayed too far from nominating things that aren't even complete favorites of theirs, just stuff not seen by a lot of people that they ended up liking.

It is fair. People have swayed too far from nominating things that aren't even complete favorites of theirs, just stuff not seen by a lot of people that they ended up liking.
True, I guess I'd just rather share a film that hopefully not alot of you have seen and I hope all of you will enjoy as much as I have. If you do, that would make me happy in itself.

And I haven't seen Casablanca till today, so the nom accomplished just that. Just opened my mouth without thinking....

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
so many write ups - so little time!!

it's great to read up a little bit on the ones I have yet to see, making me very curious to see them

and don't worry, royal, as you watch the other noms you'll come across some amazing movies. I did that with the present 40's HOF thinking it was going to be two favorites and then by the near end I have NO IDEA how to rate them by which is the best and down the line.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Romper Stomper (Geoffrey Wright, 1992)

This is to American History X like Trainspotting is to Requiem for a Dream, a more realistic and raw take on the same subject!
Russel Crowe does an amazing job as a leader of a skinheads group and McKenzie is alright too as the new girl on the group who dates Crowe! I like how the familiar background of some members of the group is subtly explored, though I liked to see more into Crowe's character!
A very nice movie overall!

+

Romper Stomper (Geoffrey Wright, 1992)

This is to American History X like Trainspotting is to Requiem for a Dream, a more realistic and raw take on the same subject!
THAT is an excellent comparison. I remember the first time I watched American History X and thinking back to a more intense Romper Stomper.

so many write ups - so little time!!

it's great to read up a little bit on the ones I have yet to see, making me very curious to see them

and don't worry, royal, as you watch the other noms you'll come across some amazing movies. I did that with the present 40's HOF thinking it was going to be two favorites and then by the near end I have NO IDEA how to rate them by which is the best and down the line.
Haha, looking forward to it. Like most movie viewers, I have a very small array of movies I watch in comparison to the participants on this movie forum

should you find a home here you'll be happily surprised at the wide variety of movies that you'd normally never hear of or would have considered watching talked about on this forum.

should you find a home here you'll be happily surprised at the wide variety of movies that you'd normally never hear of or would have considered watching talked about on this forum.
I've noticed quite a bit of them, but I already have 100 films on my watch list.... I'll never catch up

I'll be writing this via phone, so excuse the poor appearance.

Midnight Run

Midnight Run is an adventure comedy directed by Martin Brest. At the start of the film, we are taken through the average life of Jack Walsh (played by Robert De Niro), an X cop bounty hunter that takes any bounty he can to survive day to day. Eventually he comes across a bounty for a Johnathan Mardukas (played by Charles Grodin), a white collar criminal who recently ripped off the mob. As Jack attempts to receive his money for his bounty, he figures out that he is not the only one after Johnathan. During their travels to L.A., Jack Walsh and johnathan run into a series of unfortunate events and they have a harder time reaching Jacks destination then he anticipated. During their outrageous and inconvenient journey, Jack and Johnathan slowly bond.

I liked the film a lot, but I wish I felt more of an emotional connection to the characters.

I will edit this at a later time and clean it up a little, I just needed to write it fresh in my head.