The 1st MoFo Movie Hall of Fame: Round 1

Tools    

Which Movie Most Deserves a Spot in the Hall of Fame?
5.97%
4 votes
City Lights (1931)
8.96%
6 votes
Duck Soup (1933)
34.33%
23 votes
Psycho (1960)
0%
0 votes
The Producers (1968)
4.48%
3 votes
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
0%
0 votes
The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
2.99%
2 votes
RoboCop (1987)
2.99%
2 votes
Farewell My Concubine (1993)
7.46%
5 votes
American History X (1998)
19.40%
13 votes
The Big Lebowski (1998)
4.48%
3 votes
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
8.96%
6 votes
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
67 votes. You may not vote on this poll

A suggestion from the peanut gallery: Set up the voting by movie genre, wherever possible.

I find it really hard, for example, to compare a Marx Brothers movie to American History X.

Try to watch both on the same day. It helps me when I want to measure which film is greater.

PS: Please, for those in the council, I don't recommend watching Nausicaa dubbed, unless subtitles are extremely hard for you to follow.

Try to watch both on the same day. It helps me when I want to measure which film is greater.

PS: Please, for those in the council, I don't recommend watching Nausicaa dubbed, unless subtitles are extremely hard for you to follow.
good to know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
A suggestion from the peanut gallery: Set up the voting by movie genre, wherever possible.

I find it really hard, for example, to compare a Marx Brothers movie to American History X.
I don't, but whatever. Besides there's only 48 noms and four winners per 12 months.

Let the night air cool you off
I've only seen 5 of these. Various small factors have made me put off seeing the rest. Looking forward to it.

Quick question: Do we include our own movies in our votes?
Yes, please include your own movie in your votes.

Originally Posted by CelluloidChild

I understand where you are coming from, but at the same time, I would like to keep it the way it is. Whichever film you would feel happiest about making it into the hall of fame, that's way you should vote.

Originally Posted by Guaporense
Also, I don't think the original rules were to form a poll.
We are still doing the ranked vote, the poll just counts the same as one of our ranked votes. It helps keep interest with those that aren't actually participating in the round.

I don't, but whatever. Besides there's only 48 noms and four winners per 12 months.
It will take over 20 years before we get a nice large list of movies.

But since this forum is over 10 years old there isn't anything prohibiting it's existence for years to come.

Damn, I've only seen two of these. Glad to see Eyes Wide Shut getting nominated, it is absolutely Kubrick's most underrated film. This gives me even further incentive to finally watch Eternal Sunshine and my first Woody Allen movie (shame shame)

Don't bother watching Eternal Sunshine. I don't want it to win.

I watched RoboCop. I enjoyed it, but I don't think it will be in my top 6. It's a really strong round, so any movie with a couple minor faults will be at a large disadvantage on my ballot. The dialogue was kind of annoying at times and the villain gang was kind of cheesy. Parts of it reminded me of Aliens in that aspect, and I hate Aliens. Thankfully the action sequences were all done pretty well, and the story was way better than Aliens. I am happy I watched it though, but this round is just too tough for it.

I have no idea what this is but I voted for Duck Soup because I like anarchy.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I've already seen 5 and I loved them all, so I'm very happy with the list.

I own most of the rest of the films on the list on DVD, so I'll be watching some of them this week already. I may watch RoboCop tonight. It's been on my watchlist for way too long.

I have watched 9, everything except The producers, Purple rose of Cairo and Farewell to my concubine (the "Chinese movie" tag is so lovely). It seems the last one is quite long; luckily, it's one I already own in DVD.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
Watched City Lights and Duck Soup last night. I don't dig silent movies so that was an instant turn off for Lights, which I made infinately better by getting out my iPod and adding my own soundtrack. Soup was the probably the worst movie I have seen this month. Don't worry, I have full confidence that I will most likely gouge out my eyes and ear drums on the Jim Carey movie.

City Lights and The Purple Rose of Cairo I need to see.

Farewell My Concubine and Eyes Wide Shut I'll need to rewatch, been sooo long since I saw them.

So that's 4 on my immediate watch list.

Watched City Lights and Duck Soup last night. I don't dig silent movies so that was an instant turn off for Lights, which I made infinately better by getting out my iPod and adding my own soundtrack. Soup was the probably the worst movie I have seen this month. Don't worry, I have full confidence that I will most likely gouge out my eyes and ear drums on the Jim Carey movie.
It's certainly not your typical Jim Carrey movie. He's not loud or obnoxious, and there is no over the top histrionics out of him. It's just an odd case of an annoying comedy actor somehow pulling off a great role that's mostly serious.