Westworld: Season III

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
No topic for this yet, so I figured I would post the material that has been released so far.

Comic-Con Trailer

Incite Anthem Teaser

Yeah, good call, some of the stuff's just been dumped in the general Westworld thread, but this is better.

I'm doing the same thing as last year: I'm not reading random internet theories, simply because when they're crowdsourced they almost rise to the level of literal spoilers.

Yeah, good call, some of the stuff's just been dumped in the general Westworld thread, but this is better.

I'm doing the same thing as last year: I'm not reading random internet theories, simply because when they're crowdsourced they almost rise to the level of literal spoilers.
Once the series hits, I will edit the title to reflect the discussion rules, just as you did last season. News Flash: The show is more fun when you don't know all the secrets!

The Adventure Starts Here!
Such an amazingly different feel in each season, especially this one. Gonna love the storyline (and it already looks difficult to follow, ha ha), but wow, we've come a long way from the Old West in season 1.

Agreed. I ruined the impact of the season 1 finale by scouring the internet for tidbits.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
While I liked S2, we can all agree it was a step down from S1. People figured out the twist of the first season and they tried way too hard to make S2 abstract and jumping through more timelines. It got a little too heavy.

This season looks a little more straight forward and more heavy on the action side. Should be interesting to see where they take the story.

Suspect's Reviews

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I forgot this started. Two episodes available.
WARNING: spoilers below

Nice to see Pinkman found his place. Also, axe vs gun. Who wins? Against 5?

Fingers still crossed!!

Three episodes in. Meh so far. It doesn't have much of ANY of the feel of the first season left. Dolores is completely different in actions, thoughts, and looks. I'm now assuming just about everybody is a host, and the only character I care about anymore is Caleb. And maybe Bernard.

The second episode with Maeve and the short trip to Warworld was kinda fun, though. Made me want to go back and rewatch season 1.

Best quick scene so far, though, had to be the nod to Game of Thrones with the dragon they're chopping up and sending to Costa Rica. It's about 41 minutes into the episode. The two tech workers in that scene are the two main producers of Game of Thrones doing cameos. So cool!

But then episode 3 goes back to Dolores the Completely Revamped and Unrecognizable.

I'm not sure why this season feels so shallow to me, but it does (so far). I wanted to go to Medieval World instead of Back to the Future with Dolores and Hale (whose son is hilariously named Nathan Hale).

Account terminated on request
Well, they are definitely trying to be a little less obtuse this time around.

Last season, one of the actors tellingly said on the radio that they don't really understand the storyline either. They'd get together and give each other their own theories, and then the next week would be given a scene that counters it.

This year, a lot more coherence, but not enough in my opinion.

I'm not afraid of incoherence in movies. I'm a David Lynch fan after all. And I'm certainly not afraid of non-linear plots.

But they've ventured into irritating land for me, and it's telling when I start feeling obligated to stay with the season so that I haven't wasted my previous time. Only to discover that all I ended up doing was wasting yet another hour of my life.

Hate the show now.

Hate it, Hate it, @#$%ing it!!!

But I'll probably still watch.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

THIS is exactly where I am. I am still watching mostly out of a reverence for season 1, and the fact that I too have invested two previous seasons' worth of watching in this show. I'm ultimately curious about where the story will go/will end, so I'll keep watching.

But deep down, I suspect a Cliff's Notes version after the fact might do me more good.

So let's just cut to the end-game now, shall we, and save everybody some time. Where are the Game of Thrones season 8 writers when you need them?

Yods, can you update this previous link with something that's still working? I think this was the official trailer, but apparently not from the official site?

HBO doesn't even seem to have the official one, so this is SkyAtlantic, so it might get taken down there too someday, who knows. I hate YouTube whack-a-mole.

You folks are crazy!

This season is So.Damned.Good.

I love everything about it. I was actually a bit tired of all the circular, stuck in the park business that season 2 featured. I just don't think they had much left in the tank as far as stories in the WW park itself. I love the austere style of the cinematography this season, and the soundtrack is amazing. Perhaps this is becoming more of a Blade Runner : The Show, than a proper western/sci-fi blend, but as one might guess, I am just fine with that. I do think they need to get back to the various parks in some way but perhaps just running in tandem with the outside world stuff. It seems like that is that way its heading, and if the level of quality stays in line with the episodes they have released so far, this will remain one of my favorite sci-fi shows.

Account terminated on request
I just barfed out my nose.

Do you guys remember that made for tv compilation of godfather 1 and 2? It was presented as a monster special. But they didn't just show the two movies back to back.

They recut it so that it was chronological. It starts with young Vito (from GF2), then does GF1 entirely, then finishes off with the "present day" of GF2. Actually really worked well, though some of the purists were almost certainly pulling their hair out.

I wouldn't mind that being done with this series.

Bugger purism sideways without lube: I want to know what the flying @#$& is going on!

You folks are crazy!

This season is So.Damned.Good.

I love everything about it. I was actually a bit tired of all the circular, stuck in the park business that season 2 featured. I just don't think they had much left in the tank as far as stories in the WW park itself. I love the austere style of the cinematography this season, and the soundtrack is amazing. Perhaps this is becoming more of a Blade Runner : The Show, than a proper western/sci-fi blend, but as one might guess, I am just fine with that. I do think they need to get back to the various parks in some way but perhaps just running in tandem with the outside world stuff. It seems like that is that way its heading, and if the level of quality stays in line with the episodes they have released so far, this will remain one of my favorite sci-fi shows.
Oh, I wasn't always a fan of season 2 and its epic attempts to be obtuse for no other reason than to seem artsy and spark discussion. My beef is that fans of season 1 -- which for me included the parks and the fascination with hosts versus humans -- are not getting the same feel from season 3. I wouldn't mind watching this season for its own sake if I weren't invested in some of the earlier characters who are now not acting at all like I am used to, and who could be completely new characters, for all I can see.

My favorite parts of this season so far are the snippets we get to see from other parks: Warworld, Medieval World, etc. When they tear us away from the park areas and plop us back into futuristic world with the new-and-improved Dolores, then I'm not as invested.

I did like the twist in last week's episode, though... when

WARNING: "Plot twist" spoilers below
... we learn that all the hosts outside the park are actually Dolores.

Still, since I don't really like the current Dolores, that's not going to help me very much longer.

Why don't you like the current Dolores?

I see her character progression as the natural end result of someone that was abused so badly, for so long. Now she is loose on the world, and there will be hell to pay.

This week's episode was stellar, btw.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I stopped halfway into episode 3 and I'm giving up for now. I feel I'm too disconnected from what all happened in season 2 to get what's going on and who these people are now. I'm hoping that's on me for forgetting everything in the time since. At some point I will try to re-watch season 2 and continue directly into season 3. By that time the season will probably be complete and I won't have to dabble around forgetting stuff again.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Why don't you like the current Dolores?

I see her character progression as the natural end result of someone that was abused so badly, for so long. Now she is loose on the world, and there will be hell to pay.

This week's episode was stellar, btw.
I get what you're saying -- the logic of it -- but I don't find her running around in a vengeful robotic state all that entertaining. Plus, it's pretty much The Dolores Show... and I'm missing the balance of seeing other characters all over the place. Not nearly enough of Bernard and William and even Maeve. (Yes, I know they each kinda had their own episode, but I miss the times when they were all in the same locations and interacting more.)

It's just feels like Dolores-Dolores-Dolores all the time now (quite literally, really, with that earlier plot twist). There also seem to be fewer humorous moments to offset the crushing futuristic hopelessness.

I'll keep watching. I'm invested in the *show* and its ongoing plot, even if I'm not totally invested in dear ol' Dolores as much anymore. Abused or not, I just can't root for someone who is clearly going to stay unrepentant toward pretty much *any* human. If that's just my own personal reaction, then, oh well, there it is.