The Ranch

Tools    

I haven't seen any other threads about this show and I'm only 3 episodes in on a show that's now in season 4 but I'm hooked. This Netflix sitcom stars Ashton Kutcher as a former pro football player who returns home to help his father (Sam Elliott) and older brother (Danny Masterson) run the family ranch. Debra Winger also stars as the ex-wife and mother of the clan who runs the local watering hole. I don't know why, but I was initially taken aback by a Netflix series that has a laugh track because no other pay television show that I have seen has one, but once I adjusted to that, I found the show very entertaining. The adult language seems a little forced and the writing could be a tad edgier, but I'm only three episodes in. It's great to see Kutcher and Masterson working together again, who are also the executive producers, but if the truth be told, Sam Elliott is reason enough to watch this show...the guy is brilliant.

I am now ten episodes into season two...totally addicted. They seem to be writing off Debra Winger's character, but I hope not, she's great and has great chemistry with Sam Elliott. Unfortunately, I heard that Danny Masterson has been fired from the show and is not in the second half of season 3 at all. Curious to see how they're going to handle Masterson being gone.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Unfortunately, I heard that Danny Masterson has been fired from the show and is not in the second half of season 3 at all. Curious to see how they're going to handle Masterson being gone.
Poorly.

Suspect's Reviews

Finished season 3 and why would they write Dax Shepherd right back off the show after like six episodes? He was great. And where the hell is Debra Winger? I hope she comes back next season she and Sam Elliott are great together. And the breakup of Colt and Abby was stupid...Abby is not bearing the brunt of her side of what's gone wrong with them. It takes two to make a marriage and destroy one.

Well, season 4 has FINALLY come to fruition and I just finished ep 1...I'm really not happy about Colt and Abby. These two don't seem to be working AT ALL at reconciliation. Meanwhile, Colt is missing his daughter growing up. I'm also hoping that Mary stealing money from Maggie for drugs will be addressed this season. And speaking of Maggie. PLEASE bring back Debra Winger, I knew having her on this show was a dream that couldn't last forever, but there's a big hole in the show without her. They need to offer Winger whatever she wants to get her back.

Season 5 is in the can and I've watched the first two episodes. This divorce dance between Colt and Abby is growing very tiresome. Abby needs to get over herself. It's also time for Mary to suffer some real consequences for her actions. Colt seems to be the only one who seems to see who Mary really is and everybody else (especially her dim bulb of a daughter Heather) keeps covering for her and making excuses for her and I can't for the life of me figure out why. LOVING Dax Shepherd as Luke and I still miss Debra Winger, but since this is supposed to be the final season, I'm not holding much stock in her return.

Show wouldnt have lasted without Elliot at all. I would liked it if the ended and that Colts brother had not died and returned. Luke could do better then Mary. I know actor who played the brother had to leave but its the end of the series.

If memory serves, Rooster's body was never found, so it's not out of the realm of reality that he could turn up alive, but Danny Masterson was fired from the show because of sexual misconduct and I'm not sure if the Netflix big brass are going to be able to forgive and forget.

Just finished ep 10...what's happening between Colt and Abby is making me want to pull my hair out. Mary may finally be getting what's coming to her and I LOVE the running bit of Colt wanting more than anything in the world, a hug from his dad and being unable to get it.

Watched the series finale today...thank God Colt finally got the hug from Beau that he wanted so badly. I think considering everything she put these people through, Mary got off easy. I was a little disappointed that Abby wasn't pregnant again, but was thrilled that Colt finally got from under the thumb of Lisa Newman (Wendie Malick). Loved that support group for veterans too. A quiet finale that wrapped up the show in a relatively neat little bow but left just enough in the air that a return of the series someday is not out of the realm of possibility.

I know there was troubles with the actor that played his brother. But would liked to had known if he really did die or not. In the series the mom figure bothered me the most. Beau seemed to be a hard worker and a simple man. That seemed to grow old for her and I dont think the mother can stay with any man.

Maybe that's why she left Beau and is with a woman now. And since you mentioned it, I agree that closure on Rooster's death would have been a good thing.