Was Brie Larson and Gal Godot, thanking Sigourney Weaver, weird?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
At the Oscars, both women on stage, thanked Sigourney Weaver, saying if it wasn't for her in Alien, than they wouldn't have been able to be in the Superhero movies they were in, and they wouldn't have been made. I am thinking really, do they actually believe that?

If Alien had not have been made, does that mean that Marvel and DC comics would have? The Wonder Woman character was created before the screenplay to Alien was even written. So why wouldn't they make a movie based on a DC comics character that was created in 1941, unless some movie in the 70s was going to be made? The wonder woman TV show was even aired before Alien was made, so it doesn't add up.

That would be like Christian Bale thanking Sean Connery, that if he hadn't played James Bond on screen, that no Batman movie would have been made, even though Batman was created before James Bond.

Or it would be like Matt Damon coming out on stage with Arnold Schwarzenegger and thanking him that if he had no made Conan the Barbarian, that the Bourne movies would not have been made. I would be thinking, really?

I was thinking where did these two actresses get that idea? Even Sigourney Weaver seemed to believe it that without her, those movies wouldn't have been made. Unless I am missing something? I just thought it was really strange.

The trick is not minding
How many women were the main stars in action driven films before Weaver made Alien and its sequel, Aliens? Not many. After Weaver, it still wasn’t a common occurrence.

Someone might suggest Noir films, but they were often portrayed as opportunistic villains rather then the hero.

Well the Wonder Woman TV show came out before Alien, so shouldn't Brie Larson and Gal Godot be thanking Lynda Carter instead, since she not only played a superhero but she beat Sigourney Weaver to the punch?

Oh, but even if the Alien movies were not made at all, I still believe that Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel would have been. Filmmakers each want to make their own films and one has nothing to do with the other I don't think.

Filmmakers are not going to say, we can't make this kind of movie cause it hasn't been done before. In fact they might be more excited if it's more original.

But just because Alien may have been the first, I don't think that means that all these other movies would not have made. The Terminator came out just a few years later with a female action hero. I think if you asked Cameron if Alien had not have been made, would you have not made the Terminator, and Cameron would say, of course he still would have made The Terminator.

You mean why were women who are making multiple millions of dollars as action movie stars thanking the first woman in the blockbuster era who proved a woman could star in these things, be bankable, and get awards attention (she was nominated as Best Actress for Aliens)?

They we clearly addressing two aspects of her role as Ripley. 1) the business side of things in a room full of the entire industry and b) their personally being inspired by her example just as they are inspiring the next generation with their visibility and success. Has nothing to do with the properties.

That Wonder Woman existed as a comic book and a cheesy TV show does not mean therefore a studio is going to invest billions of dollars into making that into a big movie if they have this misconception that women don't work in those kinds of roles and won't generate returns on their investments.

Is that really difficult to understand?

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Oh I just thought that the movies they were in would have been made anyway, regardless if Alien had not been made.

The movies that get made are not just a product of the filmmakers, but the producers, so I’m not sure why the "they make what they want" thing is relevant. A lot of filmmakers are inspired by these films, too.

If not for Alien, sure, eventually SOMEONE would demonstrate the economic viability of the idea, but we still recognize the person who actually does it. There's no doubt different films do and do not get made, and for different amounts with different types of leads, if not for a seminal film like that.

Yeah I guess, I thought thought they seem to be blowing it out of proportion, as if they wouldn't have had careers in those movies, without Sigourney Weaver kind of thing. I mean they thanked her and seemed so grateful, as oppose to just acknowledging her as a first.

I guess I felt that a female superhero movie being made is inevitable, and no movie from the 70s is going to determine that.

Lots of things are inevitable, but we still praise the people who do it first.

That said, you’re not totally wrong, because inflating the importance of things is what the Oscars always do.

Yep that's true, I can see what you mean. Maybe I just need to watch Alien again and maybe I will see it as a bigger deal maybe . My sister really likes the movie, and before I remember not liking it as much, and thought it was just okay more so. She said the movie was a real big deal because it was the first to have a female lead in a horror movie, but I didn't think of it like that, cause Halloween, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre had the last woman standing in the end, and they both came before, so I never thought of Alien as an original for that.

Yeah, I admit it took me a minute to figure out what they were talking about. My brain doesn’t think of action movies in the same sense as, say, civil rights, but I guess the people in Hollywood do.

Alien is a very big deal in cinema history, though, for sure. Bold genre splicing.

The trick is not minding
The academy isn’t above patting itself on the back. But that doesn’t mean Weaver doesn’t deserve the accolades.
It did take the industry many decades after Batman and Superman debuted to make a Wonder Woman film after all.
And the MCU still took a decade to before finally releasing a female superhero stand alone. Black Widow was introduced in 2008? And they’re finally releasing her solo film?

Cynical me would say they just wanted to be woke.

The academy isn’t above patting itself on the back. But that doesn’t mean Weaver doesn’t deserve the accolades.
It did take the industry many decades after Batman and Superman debuted to make a Wonder Woman film after all.
And the MCU still took a decade to before finally releasing a female superhero stand alone. Black Widow was introduced in 2008? And they’re finally releasing her solo film?
Oh but I thought this was a result of the MC, and not because of the success of movies like Alien. Marvel Comics hardly made any movies about their comics before the 2000 so they are late to the game on super movies in general, male or female, aren't they?

Plus Marvel made the Elecktra movie which came out in 2005, and they only started making a string movies since 2000, since X-Men came out. That's not hugely behind for Marvel, if it just took 5 years, is it?

The trick is not minding
Oh but I thought this was a result of the MC, and not because of the success of movies like Alien. Marvel Comics hardly made any movies about their comics before the 2000 so they are late to the game on super movies in general, male or female, aren't they?

Plus Marvel made the Elecktra movie which came out in 2005, and they only started making a string movies since 2000, since X-Men came out. That's not hugely behind for Marvel, if it just took 5 years, is it?
Oh. You’re right. I forgot about Elektra. But you just named one film prior to last year.
DC had Superman films as far back as the 1950’s. Batman was first released in 1966. Yet Wonder Woman was only released 3 years ago. Before that, you’d have to go way back to Supergirl in...1982 I think?
Marvel started making films officially in 2000 with X men, after a test run of sorts a few years before that with Blade.
All of the others that came after were male driven. Using perspective here, that’s only 2 females starring films for Marvel since Blade was first released, with a 3rd scheduled this Spring.

Well DC still had the Wonder Woman TV show in the 70s, before Alien even, which was a huge hit if I'm not mistaken. So they probably could have made a Wonder Woman film before then if they wanted to, couldn't they have? They also released Catwoman in 2004, one year before Electra though. Supergirl was 1984, but DC still had the first run on female superhero movies compared to Marvel though, because of Supergirl (1984), and Catwoman (2004), right?

The trick is not minding
Well DC still had the Wonder Woman TV show in the 70s, before Alien even, which was a huge hit if I'm not mistaken. So they probably could have made a Wonder Woman film before then if they wanted to, couldn't they have? They also released Catwoman in 2004, one year before Electra though. Supergirl was 1984, but DC still had the first run on female superhero movies compared to Marvel though, because of Supergirl (1984), and Catwoman (2004), right?
Forgot about Catwoman. But those are just a few, as I’ve already pointed out. And we’re talking about feature films here. Not tv series.
You’re making a moving goalpost fallacy here. Your question ha s already ben answered sufficiently, wouldn’t you say?

Linda Hamilton Signorney Weaver and Michelle as Catwomen were only main women characters that could inspire solo female characters. But I think People like Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy. Carter as Wonder Women. Lucy Lawless in Xena showed through tv women more and more could lead great characters. TV was only place for women characters. Until Marvel made films and comic books took off. But too me Greatest Heroine for women is Carrie Fisher.