Animated, last seen in late 90s/early 2000s, statue comes to life

Tools    

I'm looking for a hand-drawn animated feature (though it may have been a special or extended episode of a series) that I last saw broadcast on Canadian television (though it's origin is unknown) in the late 90s/early 2000s.

What I remember: the film is very dark, mostly taking place at night. There is a long narrow canyon that people are forbidden from entering. On one side of the canyon is a (possibly golden or bronze) wall styled similar to a ancient Roman facade. On the wall are a number of human figures, one of which is a young girl. She may have a jewel in her chest.

The protagonist of the story is a young man who hears whispers from the wall. One night, the figure of the girl starts to glow, and she emerges from the wall. She has a white dress and long hair. She wears a pendant that symbolizes her heart, and is what is keeping her alive. There is a villain chasing after the girl, possibly because of the jewel in her necklace, or possibly because he knows she was a statue. The villain succeeds in capturing her, and the boy goes to her rescue.

I don't remember the exact series of events, but the captured girl confesses her love for the boy, which causes her pendant to shatter and for her to die. It may also cause the destruction of the castle the villain is keeping her in. The girl's figure returns to the canyon wall, but less of her is visible than before (just the head, maybe shoulders), and the boy no longer hears any whispers from there.

If you have any idea of what this might be, please let me know. Even if you don't know but this sounds vaguely familiar to you, please comment. I've been looking for this for years, but no one seems to have any idea what it is. I'd like to know I didn't imagine it. Thanks for your time.

No, that's a very short film that's live action, is basically just a dance, and is way too late into the 2000s. What I am looking for is definitely animated, much longer, and not a dance number. But thanks for the suggestion!

Gargoyles? probably

Honestly it sounds a lot like The Never Ending Story. Is there a chance you're mixing multiple memories from the three Never Ending Story movies?

Definitely not Gargoyles. I saw the first season of that show when it was new and remember it well. The characters in what I am looking for were all human.

I loved the first NeverEnding Story when I was young. I didn't like the second one. Didn't even know there was a third. But it's definitely not that or anything with live action in it. It was definitely traditionally animated. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hmm, was it Western style animation, or Japanese? Was it a little more geared towards kids, or adults?

I browsed every fantasy anime on anime-planet from 1995-2005 and didn't see anything that sounded like it.

It could be older than the mid 90s. That's just around when I think I saw it. It couldn't be older than 2003-2004 at the very latest, but it could easily have come out much earlier.

The style seems similar to other films that came out in the late 70s early 80s, however I don't know if it was Western or Japanese, because I do not know how to tell the difference between them visually (unless we're talking kids tv cartoons). If it was from an anime it would need to be one that had an English dub.

I just went through lists of all the programs aired on YTV and the Cartoon Network in case this was a tv series and not a movie that I just happened to see the same episode of 2 or 3 times. I did not find what I was looking for, but the visual aesthetic/animation quality of the shows Galtar and the Golden Lance and Thundarr the Barbarian are similar to what I remember. They were both from the early-mid 80s, so this movie/OVA/series might be from a similar period, if that helps anyone.