True Detective 2: Electric BoogaTrue

Tools    

Until there was about half an hour left that episode was really good, then it went down hill and ended really badly. Started getting bad after Frank got those diamonds and after Ray went to see his son.

I know its meant to be like a "noir" but f*cking hell, how pessimistic can you get. From the first season we got hints of "everyone is corrupt, the world is evil and you can't stop it" but this was blown up by a hundred. It was plain to see from that stupid woman signing "This is my least favourite life" what the message was supposed to be, but the last episode had to make sure it really nailed home just how bad this world really is, didn't it?

WARNING: "Finale" spoilers below
It just feels like everything has been pointless.

I hated Vince Vaughn as Frank, but as a character he was starting to win me round. I felt sorry for him being f*cked over and thought it was cool when he blew up everything and then him and Ray went and killed the Russians. Then some Mexicans that were barely in the show come and kill him, pathetic ending. Why couldn't he have got away.

I had a feeling either Frank or Ray would die but both of them, really? Ray's effort to get away was pathetic and unrealistic. I don't know how the writer can sit there happy with how he's treated his characters.

The "Ray is the father scene" has to be the worst of the whole season, the very very worst. From episode one is was predictable and every episode I was praying that it didn't come. A stupid cop out. Ray was probably the only character I cared about emotionally, I was angry when he died, and sad when he saw his son which I could buy, but that stupid scene showing he was the father p*ssed me off.

Rachel McAdams and Frank's stupid wife (every conversation between her and Frank is PAINFUL) are the only ones left alive and we end the show with them, really? The two most annoying characters?

I'm not sure if it's writing, acting or both, but I thought they were terrible character. McAdams played one of the most clichéd sexually stereotyped woman I have ever seen, always defined by her sexual preferences and giving her that stupid childhood story. Frank's wife was just annoying, she was a terrible actress I think. It comes to something when I stop being bothered by Vince Vaughn because of worse performances and characters.

Taylor Kitsch's character seemed to only be there so he could die in episode 7 so the cop could call Ray in episode 8. Absolutely pointless, silly character. We also have no idea what happened to his girlfriend and also to his mum, do we? Not that I care.

WARNING: spoilers below
Taylor Kitsch's character's mother, wife, and child were seen at the end as they dedicated a memorial highway to Kitsch. By the end, I also thought that his character was basically used as a prop to do things that the other characters were too busy to do. On the other hand, I did like McAdams and her character. I got the feeling at the end that she and Frank's wife were heading back to America to get revenge on the remaining bad guys that were shown. McAdams was shown putting her "gutting" knives down by her ankles, and they both had a serious "if looks could kill" look on their faces, plus one of them said they had a long trip to make. All of which tells me they're going back.

Which, on the face of it, is kind of stupid, as their mates didn't succeed in taking out all the baddies. Still, at the end of it, I liked it for what it was. It wasn't a patch on Season 1 but maybe they've learned by their mistakes and will present a better one next season. This one I feel, just had too many plot lines dangling and an overstuffed cast. Streamline it next season, please.

What happened to this show? How do you go from unique and groundbreakingly brillant into mediocre and partly bad so-so seen-before cop crime drama?

We are only on season 2 and it's already way down in the mess. A shame... I haven't finished the season yet, but half way through this just isn't good.

What happened to this show? How do you go from unique and groundbreakingly brillant into mediocre and partly bad so-so seen-before cop crime drama?

We are only on season 2 and it's already way down in the mess. A shame... I haven't finished the season yet, but half way through this just isn't good.
Nothing happened to it. I'm looking forward to the season finale tonight. I just didn't know there was a sequel to it called Electric Boogatrue. lol