Frightened Inmate No. 2's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

This was just a very sweet coming-of-age film. I'm not really a huge fan of the genre, and I have a hard time loving that type of film, and this one was no exception, even though I did really like it. Emma Watson and Logan Lerman gave very good performances, and the film was filled with interesting and complex characters. You really establish a connection with the characters, and they're all very likable. I remember seeing the trailer a long time ago and thinking it was going to be somewhat of a comedy, but it definitely wasn't. It certainly had a few comedic moments, but it was usually better when it wasn't trying to be funny. It never tried very hard at all, but if it did it usually just came off as an attempt to seem more charming, even though it was charming enough as it was.

3.7/5

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story

I know there are probably quite a few people here who don't like this movie, but I love it. It's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It's jam-packed with great jokes, and most of them hit the mark. Ben Stiller gave one of the best comedic performances I've ever seen, and Vince Vaughn was pretty great too. There admittedly isn't a lot to this movie besides being funny, but that was more than enough. There isn't a whole lot more to say about it. It's really funny, and one of my favorites.

12 Angry Men

It's clear why this movie is a classic. It was made more than 55 years ago, and it still holds up amazingly well today. I'm usually slightly distracted by how old certain movies are when I watch them, but once it got started, I never once thought that this movie felt dated in any way. I do like the fact that there was a remake of it, but it really is completely unnecessary. I was still engrossed in the plot and the arguments between the men. It's amazing how a movie where there is never a real sense of danger can still feel suspenseful. It's amazing how you hear the whole trial without ever seeing a courtroom, except for that brief scene in the very beginning. They had to repeat practically all of the evidence given to them in the courtroom, and yet it never felt forced, and it never felt like they were saying the lines solely for the purpose of the viewer. Even though a lot of the characters didn't have a whole lot to do, they all had remarkably distinct personalities, and they were all handled very well by their respective actors. Henry Fonda gave a very classy performance, and every other actor was cast perfectly, as well. Very good movie.

I'm going to stop using the popcorn boxes for my ratings, because they can be kind of misleading when it's not a round number.

4.4/5

You could've made it a
Is it really that different from a 4.4/5?

Whatever the case, I still think it's too low for 12 Angry Men. Glad you enjoyed it, though.

You could've made it a
Is it really that different from a 4.4/5?
Yeah, but in my mind I tend to view a 4.4 to be closer to a 4, even though I am aware that it is mathematically incorrect. Either way, I like my grades to be precise, so it's just easier to not have to worry about it.

Serpico

I liked this movie, but I definitely think it's overrated. I really don't know why I didn't like it more, except that it just wasn't that interesting. It was more about the theme of police corruption than it is about Serpico's life, and I would have preferred it if it had been more character-based. Al Pacino did a great job, and it's clear that Serpico was a very interesting character. Even when it tried to be about Serpico, it was done in a bland way. The closest thing I can compare this film to is LA Confidential without the great ending that brought it all together, which was definitely the best part of the film. As I and Roger Ebert said in that review, LA Confidential was almost episodic in its beginning, and this film felt episodic for the whole thing, and none of the episodes were particularly interesting by themselves. Most of them were quite short and felt fairly inconsequential, and as a result I never really cared. With all that said, it was still enjoyable enough, and I did like it.

3.25/5

The Game

This was a really fun movie. It took me on one hell of a ride, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I can't imagine it was too hard to create, because it's kind of an easy premise to make entertaining, because you can do literally anything with it, but it was great fun nonetheless. I never had any idea where it was going, and it always provided something new. I have heard people complain about the ending, which I can understand, but I was satisfied with it. I didn't love it, and it probably could be improved upon, but I can't imagine there are too many pleasing ways to end such a convoluted and crazy film like this without just being a total cop-out, which this wasn't. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting. This movie could have seemed really silly at times, but it usually maintained a certain level of class, mostly thanks to Michael Douglas's selfish rich man, which he seems to have perfected. He has some great character development, but it really doesn't even seem that important, because this movie set out to entertain, and it did not disappoint.

4.4/5

Pink Floyd: The Wall

This was probably the second weirdest movie I've ever seen, right behind Holy Motors, but I liked this one even more than Holy Motors. The whole thing is like one long music video, so it definitely helps if you already like the music, which I do. But it's obviously more than just an average music video. It's meaningful and tells a complete and unconventionally cohesive story. Bob Geldof does a great job as Pink, who was a very fascinating and complex character. It's kind of a hard movie to review, considering it's a deeply personal story, so I'll just leave it at that. If you like the music, it's hard to not like the movie. If you don't like the music, you should still be able to get captivated by Pink's life, and it could give you a new appreciation for the music, like it did for me.

4.45/5

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
really great reviews.
Haven't seen Serpico since i was a teenager and back then i remember several slow parts and i have seen a documentary on the person, (very cool individual)
i need to see the game and great call on The Wall. Saw it when it came out, in my late teens and many times since. Actually saw it a few months ago and rather glad to see that it still has a rather strong impact. Amazing movie.

Bernie

I liked this movie, even though it really wasn't that funny. If you're looking to laugh out loud, this isn't the best movie to watch. If you're looking to be constantly amused and entertained, then this is a great movie to watch. I usually am not a fan of Jack Black or Matthew McConaughey, but they both gave really great performances, especially Jack Black. His character was just so likable and fun to watch. The only real humor in this movie came from his performance, and poking fun at the people of Texas. It reminds me of a Christopher Guest mockumentary, except less over-the-top, which is not even something I would ever accuse a Christopher Guest movie of being. Even without the laughs, I still was very interested in the plot, and I just really liked watching it.

3.7/5

Man of Steel

I was not a big fan of this one. I loved the Nolan Batman films, and I've heard a lot of people compare this one to that trilogy, and I don't see it. It tried to add depth to Superman, and I wouldn't say it failed, but it really proved quite unnecessary and pointless in the end. The last half was pretty much all CGI action scenes that got really tiring by the end. I guess you could say I found it to be really unbalanced. The first half tried to fit in a bunch of character-developing stuff (that didn't amount to much), and the second half was all mindless action. I like most of the Marvel films, and most of this just felt like The Incredible Hulk or Thor, but without the fun, and much more CGI. I don't think a superhero film needs fun and humor, but if it's not going to have any of the things that made Nolan's trilogy great, then fun certainly helps.

Also, I just want to stress my point about overused CGI. It was pretty overused in the first scene, but the last hour put that scene to shame. Literally every shot felt like it was just showing off another piece of CGI. It never really bothered to make you really care or be too excited about the actual battle because of all the effects. It was really quite annoying, especially since the battle probably could've taken about one-fourth of the time it took.

Also, the acting was pretty inconsistent. Henry Cavill was fine as Superman. He certainly looked the part, and that's the most important thing for an iconic character like him, since they didn't give him many emotional scenes, which he was not well-equipped for. I usually love Russell Crowe, but he was slightly disappointing here. His acting was quite sub-par in the first scene, but it picked up a bit after that. It still never reached what you expect from an actor like him. I didn't really like Michael Shannon, either. His character had some pretty bad dialogue, but the actor didn't really help it much. Not to mention the fact that General Zod was never expanded on beyond your average superhero movie villain. Amy Adams was fine. She probably could've been better, but I don't have any real complaints. Kevin Costner was definitely the best actor in this. The parts when he was on screen were probably my favorites, even though the kids who played the young Clark Kent were pretty bad as well, even for child actors. Costner didn't always get the best dialogue, but he made the most of what he was given.

It might seem like I hated it, but I still found myself moderately entertained at certain points, and it never came close to "offensively bad."

2.75/5

Die Hard

This was my first time seeing this film, believe it or not, and I did not expect to like it this much. I know this movie has gotten great reviews, but I was still expecting just a slightly above average action film. It was so much more. I wouldn't say it was "fun," but I can't think of a better word right now, so I'm just gonna call it that. It was fun, and exciting, and suspenseful, and everything you want in an action film. To me, he amount of excitement in the film completely covered for all of the faults, to where no part of the movie is ever bothersome. I will admit that that deputy character was pretty useless and bad and I will admit that that scene at the end where John's new friend saved his life was pretty corny and didn't make a lot of sense, and I will admit that the character who tried to negotiate with the terrorists and then died was incredibly unrealistic and stupid, but none of that mattered. The fun and exciting tone of the movie never stopped, and the faults never remotely hindered my enjoyment. Every single payoff was worthwhile, and no scene ever felt unsatisfactory. Bruce Willis didn't exactly have the hardest role to play, but he was cast perfectly and he did great with it. Alan Rickman was really great, as always. I don't think the movie was as funny as some people say, but it certainly had some good humor. Alan Rickman's sarcasm with that smooth-talking idiot was probably my biggest laugh. Initially I was a bit annoyed by Argyle, but he had a really great payoff, and I liked him by the end. Just a great movie.

4.65/5

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
I Don't think I've ever heard the word "funny" to describe Die Hard anyway. If I wrote a review on Die Hard I don't think I'd have anything bad to say, even the characters you had a problem with... I liked.

Silver Linings Playbook

This is gonna be a fairly short review, because I watched this movie about a week ago, and I do all of my reviews from memory. Also, I just don't have a lot to say about this movie. Anyway, I really liked it, but I didn't love it. All of the actors did a great job, especially Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper. The characters were all really interesting and funny and likable, and it made the movie seem really likable. The movie was much funnier than I expected it to be, but I can't think of any particular moment or line that I found particularly funny, but I know they were there. The movie could have easily survived without the humor, because it had that strong of a story and great characters, but I'm glad the humor was there to add an extra element to it.

3.9/5

I'm gonna do a thing where I'll say how many other movies I've seen from the main actors in the film. If I don't put one it means I probably haven't seen another movie with them, or I just forgot about them. I haven't seen anywhere near the amount of movies most of you have, so it'll probably seem pretty pathetic, but I'll do it so you can get an idea of what I've seen. It's all according to Criticker.

2nd Jennifer Lawrence (The Hunger Games)
4th Bradley Cooper (Changing Lanes, The Hangover, The Rocker)
2nd Robert De Niro (Meet the Parents (I know, that is incredibly sad))
2nd Julia Stiles (The Bourne Identity (I don't quite know who she is, but apparently she was in these movies))
2nd Dash Mihok (I Am Legend (Same as Julia Stiles))
2nd Chris Tucker (The Fifth Element)

EDIT: from now on, i'm not gonna worry about the smaller actors