The fuze931 Current Top 100 List

→ in
Tools    

Give me all of your candy!

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Directed by Gore Verbinski

An introduction to one of the greatest, most charismatic characters ever put on the screen, I adored this movie a lot more than the others. Simple story, Captain Jack Sparrow in all of his glory, and even Knightley and Bloom were watchable. Rush as Barbossa stole the show in every scene he was in, though, even with Sparrow. Great movie, more than just visually entertaining, and a very fun theatrical experience also!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Truly horrid film, and that's got nothing to do with politics. Sorry.
Yeah, I was less than pleased the first time I watched it. Couldn't even get through all of it the second time.

The Shining

Directed by Stanley Kubrick

Definitely one of the greatest horror films ever made, and one of the more sadistic characters in the form of Jack Torrence. The hotel is drenched in terrifying atmosphere and foreboding, and the pace is just right. Excellent acting and many memorable scenes. Amongst my favorite was the bleeding walls and the sisters. I do not want to write a book about this movie, so I will just tell you I love this movie for it's madness and brilliant direction, and of course Nicholson.

Wall-E

Directed by Andrew Stanton

The brilliance of the silent first half of this movie really sets the tome for the second act, and the depiction of the future of our inhabitants is fantastic, although there is a clear problem with Americans and obesity these days, but that is not what Wall-E is about. It is about friendship, loyalty, and a willingness to love what you cannot understand, just for the purity and goodness of it...at least that's what I gathered from it. A brilliant piece of writing, a heartbreaking tearjerker of an ending, and a lovable robot love story that will live on throughout history as one of the best animated films to ever grace the screen, at least in my eyes.

Goodfellas

Directed by Martin Scorsese

Clearly one of the best films ever made, it is still a wonder it made my list, because I am actually not a fan of the genre, which makes it all the more spectacular it is on here. Brilliant acting, direction, and Joe Pesci is a damn legend. I honestly cannot think of a better movie from the genre, and only a handful of movies from the '90s that even come close to stacking up to this. De Niro is amazing as usual, but as stated before, Pesci steals the show, even up to his inevitable demise. Never been a Liotta fan, but he was top notch also. Great sub-plots, I was always interested in the next scene, which is tough for me in these type of movies, and no list is complete without it, although most people put it much higher.

Pay It Forward

Directed by Mimi Leder

What do you possibly follow Goodfellas with, you ask? Pay It Forward, one of my favorite movies of all-time, and, until recently seeing Seven, my favorite Kevin Spacey performance. I adore this film, even with the abysmal Helen Hunt (cannot explain why, I just never liked her at all). A wonderful performance from the then much younger Osment and the ever so brilliant Spacey, and even with one of the more tragic endings to date, you have to love a feel good film like this. I still tear up in this movie, because of the simplicity of the action and the movement that he started, and how beautiful it is to know the actions of one human can truly change the world.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Directed by Kevin Smith

This is one of my favorite comedies ever made, especially since it brings together so much of the Smith universe and an epic amount of cameos and crude humor. The story, of course is idiotic, and I wouldn't have it any other way. So glad to see that these guys got their own feature film, and to this day I still watch it religiously. It just seemed like everyone had such a blast with filming this and even a Good Will Hunting spoof which literally makes me laugh every single time. You tend to forget you are watching a movie with this one, because, at least for me, it seemed like I was there the whole way making fart jokes and one-liners with these fellas!

The Shawshank Redemption

Directed by Frank Darabont

Great film. Beautiful dialogue, great characters, and an amazing story. I truly felt for a lot of them, and I love seeing the bond between Andy and Red grow throughout the years. One of the saddest things about the movie to me is how comfortable Andy gets in prison at one point, even knowing his innocence, as if he knew he was not ready for the outside world yet. I really liked the warden's role, he seemed very charming yet quite menacing, which is a tough trait for an actor these days to pull off, in my opinion. Great musical atmosphere, many memorable scenes, brilliant direction, and top notch acting make this an instant include to my list.

Reservoir Dogs

Directed by Quentin Tarantino

This is as good as it gets for me. Great story, awesome acting, and Michael Madsen being a BOSS. I love his smooth yet snappy dialogue and also appreciate the love Q.T. puts into his work, especially dialogue wise. Harvey was actually my favorite character, because of the compassion he chooses to show throughout the film. He seems very much like a leader, but also portrays novice decision making. I liked his imperfections. I could go on for days about the love for this film, from the acting to the brilliance of music selection. Great film.

The Breakfast Club

Directed by John Hughes

I grew up on Hughes, so I had to give him a nod with my favorite of his, The Breakfast Club. Great ensemble cast, grabbing them at the peak of their careers, and awesome dialogue, especially Nelson and Ringwald. Simple stories are always my favorite. Detention with strangers....well, maybe not all strangers, but they weren't the best of friends. To be honest, every time I watch this movie, I wonder what happens after the credits....do they continue to talk to each other or go back to their social groups? It has always fascinated me, just to think about the outcome. But, either way, awesome flick, definitely timeless.

The Hangover

Directed by Todd Phillips

This movie was hilarious and still is. Classic comedy, and quite unpredictable first time I saw it. I honestly think this is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen, and it goes to show how awesome it is when people still talk about it to this day. Zack of course steals the show, everything he said made me burst in laughter, although his humor is not for everyone. I love the journey these guys embark on to find their friend in Sin City! Too many memorable scenes to count, but Tyson comes to mind quite a bit! Hilarious movie and a must watch.....sequel not so much.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Directed by Michel Gondry

I won't go into a rant about my love for this awesome film, but it does belong to the category of masterpiece in my opinion. Beautifully filmed, excellently told story, great supporting cast, and a breath of fresh Carrey air. It is and always will be his best film, maybe not his best role, but always his crowning jewel. The way Gondry breaks barriers and shatters your mind as well as Joel's is a ride unlike any other, and you grow to love the realism of their relationship, hate the way someone can abandon ship like that, and back to adoring the way strangers meet again. It is an amazing emotional rollercoaster with brilliant casting, awesome direction, and a story unlike any other I have witnessed, and I still watch it to this day.

Trick 'r Treat

Directed by Michael Dougherty

This horror anthology is a Halloween tradition of mine since 2009 and will be for years to come. It is a mix between comedy, horror, and the greatness that is Halloween night. Great stories intertwine in a small town on this night, and some of the imagery of this film is downright terrifying, at least to me. The bus is probably the creepiest thing since seeing It as a child to me, yet I cannot take my eyes off the screen. People get what they deserve, the ones who follow the rules of the holiday live to see another day. It is somewhat cliche at times, but that is what makes it genius in my eyes, is it is not afraid to be what it is, a fun Halloween classic that doesn't need to do too much and inevitably fall flat on it's face(Rob Zombie....). Definitely a classic which will always be in my DVD player on the big night every year.

Inglorious Basterds

Directed by Quentin Tarantino

What needs to be said about this film that hasn't been said already? Brilliant acting, especially Waltz, awesome direction and sountrack, courtesy of the mind of a genius, and a solid imagining of a touchy terrifying subject of the haunted past of WWII, this film has everything that I need in a great movie. Landa steals the show, though, no doubt about it. What a charming menace. Everyone did their part, from Pitt to Roth, to even Austin Powers himself! There are many movies that I cannot pick out a favorite scene from, and that is a mark of a great film in my opinion. So many fantastic scenes of snappy dialogue and teeth grinding tension. You know what's coming, you just never know when. Q.T. is the master of that. Great film, and will be in my list for years to come more than likely.