Coronavirus

Tools    

Account terminated on request
'Self-isolation' and lockdowns prolly already taking care of that.
Hah! c'be....

Almost famous for having nailed Madonna once
LOL! Well, nothing says "worth it" quite like needing a tetanus shot...
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

A lot of things (and various expert opinions, based on those same things) make it seem like we might see a "peak" over the next 2-3 weeks. Which is another way of saying the bad news is probably going to continue to get worse over that period. Hang in there everyone.

for a nation of very gregarious, physical, close-knit, family & neighborhood-oriented people this virus was devastating.
This is true of Italy. Second reason was 25% of the population was 65+.

The problem with the six week old story, and it's a problem with other stories that I see especially about young people "dying with coronavirus" is that the articles are always very unclear about their deaths.
Nothing unclear about the 6 week old’s death. She was found unresponsive & hospital declared her death due to coronavirus. Turns out she was 7 weeks old.

I work for an alarm company. We were informed today our work shift will be cut back by 1 hour a day starting Monday.
Hope my alarm company doesn’t do something like this. Home security is paramount where I live.

The Adventure Starts Here!
A lot of things (and various expert opinions, based on those same things) make it seem like we might see a "peak" over the next 2-3 weeks. Which is another way of saying the bad news is probably going to continue to get worse over that period. Hang in there everyone.
And then there's this:

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...Box+4%2f3%2f20

My day so far: pissing down with rain, cold & windy. Dead skunk in the middle of the road. Strange as it’s a quiet road with almost no cars right now. Different part of town I saw an eviscerated chicken. What a chicken was doing there I have no idea. Fox must have gotten to it.

Heard on the radio that 500 people are dying daily in the UK. Can this be true or did I mishear?

And the first Roman Catholic priest has died in America. RIP

You ready? You look ready.
Some numbers to put things in perspective...

Spanish Flu Pandemic Ends

By the summer of 1919, the flu pandemic came to an end, as those that were infected either died or developed immunity.

Almost 90 years later, in 2008, researchers announced they’d discovered what made the 1918 flu so deadly: A group of three genes enabled the virus to weaken a victim’s bronchial tubes and lungs and clear the way for bacterial pneumonia.

Since 1918, there have been several other influenza pandemics, although none as deadly. A flu pandemic from 1957 to 1958 killed around 2 million people worldwide, including some 70,000 people in the United States, and a pandemic from 1968 to 1969 killed approximately 1 million people, including some 34,000 Americans.

More than 12,000 Americans perished during the H1N1 (or “swine flu”) pandemic that occurred from 2009 to 2010.

https://www.history.com/topics/world...mic#section_12
Here's a very good resource with a worldwide snapshot of the confirmed cases, kills, recoveries, and trajectory:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

That last bit, the trajectory, is the key thing here. It's easy to have smallish numbers that are actually terrifying based on their rate of increase (200 doesn't sound like a lot, but if it comes the day after 100, which came the day after 50...you get the idea). Speed, too, since the biggest risk is overwhelming the health care system so that even OTHER things which are not normally fatal become so, simply because they can't be properly treated. Comparisons to other pandemics need to feature an equivalent amount of speed, because that seems to be the most important component of this.
Another thing to keep in mind is that coronavirus doesn't kill the same way that these other influenza pandemics did.

From what we know it effectively destroys the ability for lungs to process oxygen. It doesn't create an opportunistic environment for bacteria to take over. It just stops the lungs ability to transfer oxygen entirely, which is a far worse outcome/progression than the 1918 flu or the ones from the 50s. Worse yet is that when that stage of the disease is reached there is, according to everything I've read, no returning from it.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

From the news article:

They predict that without additional interventions, including additional ventilators — and a vaccine — the pandemic will return with a vengeance the moment society resumes normal activity — regardless of how long a lockdown lasts.
I've been saying that for awhile now.

I see these continual signs: that people desperately what this to be over and really want to believe the best case scenarios. As soon as new cases and deaths drop way off, politicians all over America will be pressured by both businesses and the population to end the quarantine. People then will go out in mass to crowded areas and stop being careful...Then all the coronavirus that's still active will have another chance to spread like wildfire in the second wave.

The first wave had a few 'ignition' spots in America, that started the spread of the virus. In the second wave there will be many more 'burning embers' to reignite the spread of the virus. Historically second waves of pandemics can be worse than the first wave.

I'm not trying to be dismal, but realistic.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Today, our Pennsylvania governor and other officials ramped up their recommendations to include wearing a mask any time we go out in public. So, I'm glad that the ratcheting here is still stricter and not more lenient. It's too early.

⬆️ Well that is pretty darn cool! Because I must have like 200 bandannas in my house. Most of them are brand-new & stiff so I may have to put them through the rinse cycle first. But definitely gonna try this because I do not want to sew. TYVM.

Yeah, they're not as good as "real" ones but better than nothing. If you can fashion one from thin plastic material like one-time grocery store bags, that's supposed to be best.

Full face visored skid-lid is the way to go imo

You ready? You look ready.
Keep in mind that just about anything works as a face mask. Even socks. The particles that we cough out are far too big to pass through most fabrics.