The MoFo Map

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I haven't posted it yet. I'm being radical and working it out on...wait for it...paper!

I know, I know...trendsetter!
You are so old school. HG.

Yeah... things is, you go from Dudley, to Wolves, to Brum, to West Brom... they're cities all within a tiny area... and the accent does sound similar, but when you study them, they actually completely different.

Bridgnorth and Telford have variants of the accent too. It's the Midlands twang though. The kind of accent you can hear through a wall.

I don't have it though. I was born here, but I lived in Scotland for years and going from Midlands to Scottish accents then moving back down here I ended up with a neutral accent.

I haven't posted it yet. I'm being radical and working it out on...wait for it...paper!

I know, I know...trendsetter!

The last time I wrote on paper was on a form for the Doctors... I made mistake and I actually moved my hand up and right and went to click the backspace button.

Felt like a right plonker.

Where are all the aussies? C'mon guys!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The last time I wrote on paper was on a form for the Doctors... I made mistake and I actually moved my hand up and right and went to click the backspace button.

Felt like a right plonker.
I still use paper a lot. I have several notebooks full of all sorts of crap.

Yeah... things is, you go from Dudley, to Wolves, to Brum, to West Brom... they're cities all within a tiny area... and the accent does sound similar, but when you study them, they actually completely different.

Bridgnorth and Telford have variants of the accent too. It's the Midlands twang though. The kind of accent you can hear through a wall.
Not sure if this is a British thing, but you're right that the accents vary so much within tiny areas of all over the country. You think of how many accents you'll hear if you walked from my home town of Liverpool to Manchester, a distance of 30 miles. You'd hear very strong and very different accents from Scouse, through Woollyback, Lancashire, to Manc and lots of variations in between!

In terms of America, I think New York is a good comparison.

Though New York is a billion squillion times larger than say, Brum, Wolves, Dudley and West Brom, you can go from Queens to Brooklyn to Bronx and the accents change radically.

Here's an interesting fact.

West Bromwich (aka; West Brom)... Birmingham was originally called Browmicham in olde Saxon English... West Bromwich was so called as it is the west end of that area.

So the name Brum, Brummy etc comes from that.
Brom, short for Bromwicham.

Brummy is Birmingham.

To be a Brummy, you have to come from Birmingham. To have a Brummy accent, means you have that localised accent.

It's very down sounding, miserable sounding almost. Not trying to sound like I'm taking the p*ss, it's genuinely how it sounds.

They add syllables to words too.

Gold is pronounced "Gahwuld"
Soap is pronounced "Sahwup"

Things like that.

To give an idea of the diversity of British accents:
Wolverhampton, which is in the same area as Brum, have completely different mannerisms to the accent. Same sound almost... but Wolverhampton's people are often referred to as Yam-Yams. Yam-Yams hate being called Yam-Yams though.
They say things like "'Ow am ya?" which means "How are you?"
Interesting. And here I just thought all you guys sounded like Mel Gibson.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay attention to Australians doing a "British accent"... or anyone doing a "British accent" for that matter.

We have many.

Russell Crowe in Robin Hood was interesting though. He kinda mixed one of the many Irish accents with something I've never heard before with something else I've never heard before and added a some syntax and phonetics from Yorkshire.

The People's Republic of Clogher
As someone who's lived in Brum and Walsall and worked additionally in Wolverhampton and West Brom, the West Midlands dialect has always fascinated me.

It's the same all over these islands and, I suspect, everywhere else. You've got to know an area well to notice it though.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Some of you guys are really close to each other, especially in UK. Ever thought of meeting up?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

When you say close... in terms of UK Vs USA then yeah, we're closer but we're all still a few hours apart.

Skepsis and I are about 20-30 minutes apart and n3wt and Daniel I'd say is about the same... which I think is the closest so far.

For distance/time bearings though, Slob and I are about 2.5 hours apart.

20-30 minutes apart is pretty close, dude. Some people travel that distance everyday. Twice.

By train that is... driving from mine to Skep is about an hour and a half on the M54. M54 is like the M6... one huge traffic jam. All day long.

But yeah, pretty close geographically. I don't drive though, no license any more.

Travel by bus, then. Do you have good public transport in there?

Actually, yeah... Slob's right.

Train from where I am to where he is takes hours. My kids live near where he is, and from my front door to theirs, using trains as transport... takes anywhere up to 6 hours.