R.I.P Sid Haig

Tools    

I knew he wasn't doing well and that he had been in and out of the hospital a lot lately. I read an interview with Rob Zombie a few weeks ago where he talked about having to re-write 3 From Hell shortly before filming due to Haig's failing health. Just getting him on set to film a small part proved to be a challenge. I'm glad that Sid was able to step into Captain Spaulding's blood-spattered, oversized clown shoes one last time, as he'd gone on record saying that the role reignited his love for acting. He created one of the most beloved characters in horror history, one that has inspired much of my weird antics on this forum.

I watched the James Bond movie Diamonds Are Forever yesterday, and lo and behold, there was Sid Haig as one of the goons. He was always a welcome presence on screen, making the most of every role, no matter how big or small. He was a frequent guest at horror cons, always finding time for his fans and often donning the clown suit and makeup to provide fans that extra thrill, even toward the end when his health made it difficult for him to get around. Despite a long career playing freaks and perverts and murderers, he was a stand-up dude according to all reports, very friendly and gracious. I hate that I never got an opportunity to meet him myself.