My Worst Movie Moms List

Tools    

Can't remember what exactly motivated this list, but a conversation with a fellow buff made me realize there were enough candidates out there in Cinema Land to make a credible list. As for what constitutes "bad" , there are varying degrees of behavior or lack thereof that will make up the parameters of this list, but it's mostly the effect that these mothers had on their movie children that make them eligible for this list, which will make this list a lot different than my favorite movie moms list and yes, there will definitely be some crossover from that list, but this will be a very different list. So get ready for my list of worst movie moms:

Mrs. George, Mean Girls

Amy Poehler garnered big laughs playing the mother of bitchy Regina George (Rachel McAdams). Mrs. George was more interested in being Regina's BFF than being her mother which resulted in her serving alcohol to her and her underage friends and basically letting Regina do whatever she wants, including giving Regina the master bedroom because Regina asked for it. Mrs. George didn't care about being a good mom, all she wanted to be was a "Cool Mom".

Lora Meredith, Imitation of Life

If being a good mother was all about intentions, there's no way Lora would have made this list, but Lora pretty much forgot all about raising her daughter Susie (Sandra Dee) once she became a Broadway star and let her maid, Annie (Juanita Moore) do it.

Mrs. Vale, Now Voyager

Gladys Cooper was superb as the domineering matriarch who spends the movie's entire running time controlling the life of daughter Charlotte (Bette Davis) so that Charlotte will always be at her side and never have a life of her own.

Gideon if you ever have time you should link all your lists on your page or something, I’d be interested in looking through all them.

I wonder if Coraline's mother will be in it
Which one? Or both? I guess to be fair only her biological mother should be included, but both mothers are pretty bad in their own way.

Lana Turner was a perfect fit for the narcissist, self absorbed mom in Imitiation of Life...I watched a documentary on her and apparently she was that way in real life with her own daughter.

A bucket of anxiety
Which one? Or both? I guess to be fair only her biological mother should be included, but both mothers are pretty bad in their own way.
Yeah, I was talking about the biological one. Coraline literally says she almost died and her mom's just like, "Okay."

Holly Jones, Prisoners

Oscar winner Melissa Leo brought this wretched creature to the screen. This character belongs here not necesarily because of the way she treated her son (Paul Dano), but because her son turned out to be complete slime and she seemed to condone everything he did and protect him unconditionally.

A bucket of anxiety
OK, I'll tell you right now I have no idea who Coraline is so neither of her mothers will be appearing on this list.
She's from a clay-animated film named after her. I recommend it if you want to check it out sometime

Viola Fields, Monster-in-Law

Jane Fonda plays a former television star who pulls every dirty trick she can think of to keep her son (Michael Vartan) from marrying the woman he loves (Jennifer Lopez).

I personally think worst mother in films has to be Luke and Leias mom. Obi Wan tells her anakin is dangerous but she decides to go to a dangerous planet very pregnant. Padme should thought of her unborn children but puts them at risk. When she got a warning her man is unstable. She had ample chance to get out of dodge and had the kids then confront her man later.

Collette Andrews, Father's Day

This manipulative witch had to make this list. Collette freaks out when her son (Charlie Hofheimer) runs away from home to follow a girl he's crushing on who's following a rock band. Her husband and the boy's father (Bruce Greenwood) hits the road to look for him, but that's not good enough for Collette. She calls two ex-lovers (Billy Crystal, Robin Wiliams) and tells them both that they are the boy's biological father so that they will look for the boy too. Collette's manipulation of these two guys is unconscionable.

Also have to wonder if the mom from Ordinary People will make it.

Big Mama Pollitt, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Big Mama (Judith Anderson) was in complete denial about the alcoholic bum her son, Brick (Paul Newman) and actually tries to blame his wife, Maggie (Elizabeth Taylor) for it, though Brick's issues go way beyond Maggie, but Big Mama refuses to look at the truth.

Kate Roth, I'll Cry Tomorrow

Kate Roth (Jo Van Fleet) forced her daughter, Lillian (Susan Hayward) into show business as a child and didn't really care whether or not the kid had any talent. As Lillian grew up, her mother tried her best to live the vicarious high life that her daughter could provide while brow-beating Lillian every chance she could get about her drinking and her choice of men.