Doris Day (1922-2019)

Tools    

I can't remember a time from when I was a kid to this day when I didn't love Doris Day. Yes, as a kid I crushed on her beautiful, wholesome looks. As I grew, I appreciated her acting and her wonderful voice that was so smooth and appealing and one of a kind. The movies I watched her in were mainly the Rock Hudson/James Garner pairings and the light comedies like The Glass Bottom Boat, The Ballad of Josie, and With Six You Get Eggroll. My favorite for a long time was That Touch of Mink, with her and Cary Grant. How classy was that pairing? But I found out in later years that my Dad was a big Doris Day fan and in fact saw her movies when they were released. He loved the movies and the songs she sang in them. I think he crushed on her, too. His crush was more timely than mine but he loved her just the same. He would always ask me if I'd ever seen Romance on the High Seas (her first film) or Calamity Jane and I'd always answer, "not yet." But I finally saw them and heard the two songs he loved best from them, "It's Magic" and "Secret Love" respectively. Like him, I loved them both, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Calamity Jane and especially her singing "Secret Love." Her passing just makes me think of my late Dad all the more, so please excuse my personal touch here in Doris's memorial thread. But this is the song that will always make me link her and my Father:

I always loved Doris Day. I haven't seen a ton of her movies, but I've enjoyed her in every one I have seen. RIP.

Romance on the High Seas, Calamity Jane, The Pajama Game are 3 of my favorite Doris Day movies. I just seen her in a serious thriller, the last thriller see made as she said the experience was too intense as she used method acting to recall being abused by her first husband, she's good in this movie: Midnight Lace

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've been a big fan of Doris Day ever since I was a kid, and I watched her movies with my mother. I've seen most of her movies. I love her early movies with her and Gordon MacRae. She also made a few great movies with and Jack Carson. They seem to be forgotten classics. Whether she starred with those actors, or Rock Hudson, James Garner, Cary Grant, Clark Gable, or anyone else, she just seemed to have great chemistry with everyone she was paired with. I don't think I could pick a favorite Doris Day movie, but Tea for Two, The Pajama Game, The Thrill of It All, and The Glass Bottom Boat would all be near the top of my list.

R.I.P.

I loved them both, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Calamity Jane and especially her singing "Secret Love." Her passing just makes me think of my late Dad all the more, so please excuse my personal touch here in Doris's memorial thread. But this is the song that will always make me link her and my Father:

You said Calamity Jane was your favorite Doris Day film...I don't know if you're aware, but it was also Doris' favorite film.

You said Calamity Jane was your favorite Doris Day film...I don't know if you're aware, but it was also Doris' favorite film.
Yeah, I had heard that a couple of years ago and I thought she made a great choice!