So long, summer

Tools    

Oh my, how I hate to see you go. Long days, warm days and a thousand shades of green. Bullfrogs bellowing from the pond, and little green frogs hopping and plopping on the lilypads. Turtles living rent free, with their homes on their backs. Deer with their spotted fawns shyly stepping from the forests' edge. Sit outside with neighbors and gab and blab as the dusk and the breeze cools the eve. Take a walk down a shady lane. Watch the shooting stars. Outdoor concerts and strolls round town, and coming home to the sweet scent of honeysuckle on the vine. Swimming for hours. Fireworks and carnivals . Roses and iris and green fields shimmering in the morning haze. Blue skies and sunshine. The land is covered in a lush blanket of green. Go out for a late movie and an even later dinner and leave the sweater at home- NO layers ( and less laundry!) - just the warm perfumed air on your skin.

Don't wanna forget my birthday - and no one did I was born a summer baby and guess I was born loving the world in the good ole summertime.

Wish summer could stay a little longer.

So long. Farewell. . ........adieu .....................til we ( sob....hic....) meet again .

Goodbyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeee

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I was off work all summer, so this year was really enjoyable for me.

My favourite season is Fall because it's not too cold, not too hot. I like sweater weather and the colours pop. As Yoda said though, it feels way too short. Especially up here in Canada.

Suspect's Reviews

We often have three of the four seasons in the same day here, nearly always Spring, Autumn and Winter though

They say we have the best weather on the planet, every season is what it should be, no more, no less. I don't agree with the best weather part. I like cold, snow, the fireplace always on, lots of clothes on me. In two days we are in Autumn, thank god for that, this summer was not particularly hot. Today is raining, so I used the occasion to put some extra clothes on me and go for a walk; had to carry them back sweating, but was nice for a moment.

When I was a kid I loved winter. Loved snow. I started disliking it the moment I had a commute. It's not too bad now, but driving in snow is nerve-wracking and awful and it can be a real pain having to dress so elaborately just to stay warm. Getting up in the morning, in particular, is really awful when it's freezing outside. Not so bad if you can stay in bed and ease your way out.

Getting up in the morning, in particular, is really awful when it's freezing outside. Not so bad if you can stay in bed and ease your way out.
Do ye not have central heating over there??? (I'm presuming you at least sleep in the house???? )

Aha, so it's not so much the getting out of bed that's the issue but the having to leave the house .... gotcha now

Eh, I'm explaining it badly. It is the bed part. What I should have said is that even with the heater set to go on before I wake up, it really isn't plausible to have the house comfortable at sub-zero temperatures unless it's cranked way too high. It's just gonna suck in the dead of winter for awhile.

Ok. Why do I now feel like you avatar is shaking it's head specifically for me

I actually quite enjoy sliding out of bed into a 'cooler' atmosphere in the dead of winter, sure wakes me up that bit quicker and I feel far more energetic than I do immediately after waking in say summer. Guess I'm just odd lol.

Oh my, how I hate to see you go. Long days, warm days and a thousand shades of green. Bullfrogs bellowing from the pond, and little green frogs hopping and plopping on the lilypads. Turtles living rent free, with their homes on their backs. Deer with their spotted fawns shyly stepping from the forests' edge. Sit outside with neighbors and gab and blab as the dusk and the breeze cools the eve. Take a walk down a shady lane. Watch the shooting stars. Outdoor concerts and strolls round town, and coming home to the sweet scent of honeysuckle on the vine. Swimming for hours. Fireworks and carnivals . Roses and iris and green fields shimmering in the morning haze. Blue skies and sunshine. The land is covered in a lush blanket of green. Go out for a late movie and an even later dinner and leave the sweater at home- NO layers ( and less laundry!) - just the warm perfumed air on your skin.
Very nice characterization and reminiscence, LL. I always recall the season as "screen door summers"-- the seasonal wood framed screen doors that went "bap" when the spring pulled them closed; or maybe the metal ones with the ad emblem on the push bar, like at the Greyhound station, where the floor fan was always on, trying to keep the patrons cooled off in the heat. But the flies would get in anyway.

I grew up in the North, and usually dreaded the end of summers, when the pools closed, the lawn furniture was put away, and we frowned at the thought of the first snow; although we always wanted a white Christmas.

Since I've moved to the Gulf Coast, there are usually only windbreaker winters, with never the threat of ice or snow. In fact most of us are happy to see the heavy humidity and heat start to wane-- at least for a couple of months. But I still miss those Ohio/PA screen door summers.

~Doc

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Summer is the devil and seeing Cersei Lannister singing "so long, farewell" only solidifies my argument.

...the devil.

Did I make a post in here, telling the story of how I told my wife winter is coming and I'm glad for it? I swear I posted that but I don't see it. Anyone see my post that?

This is going to be weird: but does anyone sense a strange kind of quiet or stillness during certain daytime or evening moments when summer turns to fall?

It's behind all the noise of cars, planes, neighbors, kids playing, radios, dogs barking... in a few rare moments there's this weird kind of quiet (or is it merely an echo of my own melancholia?)

I was "listening" to it the other day, trying to put my finger on it and I noticed the crickets were still going strong, but adding their song to the sense of stillness - like all the plants were getting ready to go to sleep.

Can anyone relate to this or am I just loosing it? (I must be loosing it for a long time because I remember sensing this odd stillness every time summer turns to fall.)

@Captain Steel the beginning of Autumn is melancholic, it's like the calm before the storm.
I'm outside right now, surrounded by nature, you see the sun but you have that felling that is going to rain, you see the small gusts of wind on the leaves of the trees, it seems the birds already know it's about to rain. Two minutes ago, I was having a hard time writing because the sun as covering my laptop, I could hear the birds and the river. Now a cloud is over the sun and everything looks sadder and quieter. You can notice the weather changing, and everything changes with it, it's like an animal that knows something bad is coming and starts to slowly going for this hole on the ground.

Some very nice posts from some of our summer loving friends here. Knowing what autumn bodes (. @Yoda. ) , the comforting sound of the screen door closing ( @GulfportDoc ) and our animal senses being alert to the wind rustling the leaves (. @JoaoRodrigues. )

And no, you are not the first to feel the twinge of sadness @Captain Steel in the turning of summer to fall. Here's someone else who felt it too, long ago.

Some very nice posts from some of our summer loving friends here. Knowing what autumn bodes (. @Yoda. ) , the comforting sound of the screen door closing ( @GulfportDoc ) and our animal senses being alert to the wind rustling the leaves (. @JoaoRodrigues. )

And no, you are not the first to feel the twinge of sadness @Captain Steel in the turning of summer to fall. Here's someone else who felt it too, long ago.
It's a beautiful song, and Nat King Cole's version is my favorite. Cole was my favorite pop singer of the '50s & early '60s, and no one's voice evokes that era more than does Cole's.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
As a kid, I didn't mind winter at all, especially if it meant a school closing. Then I hated it, especially driving almost every day. I haven't liked the last few summers because of the heat, and how it affects my sleep. Even during the day, having this window AC sound near my ear, and picking up sounds from outside is very annoying. This will be the first time I ever kinda look forward to winter, especially since I barely drive anymore. Plus, I have central heat, so during the day I can be heated up fairly quickly, without such a loud sound. And then at night, I can set it to 50 F, and freeze myself to sleep.