Trump vs Hillary Debate Thread

Tools    

This is a great idea I know Trumps gonna try and talk over everyone, and I hope Lester Holt shuts him the hell up. Get him Lester, git him!

It's only embarrassing if you don't consider the alternative.
Hillary Clinton does not come close to matching Trump's dishonesty. And the thing that makes Trump's lies so vicious is that he's not just covering his ass, he's spreading misinformation to his brainwashed(dead?) followers and feeding hateful/bigoted/looney conspiracy theories.

It's such an obvious cult of personality, it makes me afraid for the future of our country. Because we're already irreparably divided. Trump is a racist running on the most overtly anti-gay platform ever. He's normalized those hateful and bigoted thoughts and given white nationalists and the alt-right a voice and a comfort to speak that they didn't have ten years ago. It also makes me wonder if the "America" experiment is failing; that xenophobia and racism are natural and not something that will be bred out over time. We've only really been living in a country that racism was clearly socially unacceptable for about thirty years. We just elected a black president, and it feels like we're going backwards. Though, that would probably the event that brings the less vocal/more nuanced racists out of the woodworks.

Trump's a loose cannon when it comes to foreign policy and has talked about defaulting on the debt and using nukes. Doesn't understand the concept of MAD and doesn't know what the nuclear triad is. Advocates acts of war if soldiers from a country that we have tension with insults (flips off) our military. I mean.

These are not two sides of the same coin. Trump is horrific.

There were rumours that Trumps campaign had invited Gennifer Flowers to attend the debate, his campaign are denying it now.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/25/po...-preview-2016/

I watched most of the debates in 2008 and 2012 but i couldn't sit through either the Repubs or Dems this year. Will try this one out and see how long i last.

A debate between someone who constantly says inflammatory things, speaks in cliches, and has no basic understanding of policy against someone who is just fundamentally wrong about how government should operate in our society. Sign me up, I can barely wait. I will be hate watching the hell out of this thing.

I plan on watching, but I think some people are expecting more than what they'll get.
This. I expect Trump to be relatively boring. When his standing in the primaries was firm, he made a real attempt to reign in the crazy. It worked for a little bit, though people were still able to draw him out by criticizing him (dude's got really thin skin). That, and his worst debates were almost invariably those when the field had pared down and the focus was on him. He got by standing out briefly in a crowd, but wilted under any sustained glare.

But I'm sure people have been telling him for awhile now that to "win" he just needs to not openly disqualify himself, IE: not appear insane to anyone who's just starting to pay attention now. And when he's not saying crazy things he's remarkably dull to listen to. Expect lots of incredibly vague statements buttressed by "believe me, believe me" or "I can tell you that." But mostly fluff.

The only good thing about the polls tightening is that it might have convinced Clinton to actually go after him a bit more. I hope we get lots of direct, specific detail and policy-oriented question, because if the GOP could do the primary debates over, I think you'd see a lot more of that. Just expose his ignorance over and over.

Thin skinned Trump is key, I just don't think he can help himself. I will throw this out there, I especially don't think he can help himself when a woman is throwing the insults.

Even if he dials back the name calling. Watching him give broad adjective laced answers to specific pointed questions gets me to watch. Those kind of answers are a gurantee.

A debate between someone who constantly says inflammatory things, speaks in cliches, and has no basic understanding of policy against someone who is just fundamentally wrong about how government should operate in our society. Sign me up, I can barely wait. I will be hate watching the hell out of this thing.
Like Hillary is some sort of master policy innovator or idea person...

This is a race where it seems the majority of citizens are voting against someone rather than for someone. That's sad.
It is sad, it is that bad, and it is that necessary. This isnt choosing between 2 bad politicians, its choosing between a bad politician and someone worse than one.

Like Hillary is some sort of master policy innovator or idea person...
I have always had a hard time with how difficult it is to nail down most politicians on policy changes during an election. However, Trump speaks in such broad strokes and generalities about these things it retroactively has made me forgive all the actual politicians that have come before. That has been how much I have disliked Trump and his shtick, he has made me come to respect REAL politicians.

I have always had a hard time with how difficult it is to nail down most politicians on policy changes during an election. However, Trump speaks in such broad strokes and generalities about these things it retroactively has made me forgive all the actual politicians that have come before. That has been how much I have disliked Trump and his shtick, he has made me come to respect REAL politicians.
I had to shake my head and laugh at this because its so spot-on how I feel.

If a voter wants to buck the system and elect someone that cant do the job, at least find someone thats not a p.o.s. too, besides being unqualified.